GDT: Hockey's Back! Devils @ Rangers, 7 PM, MSG & NHL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
For all the puck possession last year, they weren't very good at working the puck into the high scoring % areas. Held on to it a lot but it often didn't get to the slot.

whatever they were working tonight, they got the puck to the front of the net fast; seemed to create isolated 2 on 1 situations with fast give-and-go passes. Boucher and Henrique did it a couple times; Henrique and JJ also worked it in the second period. Very nice.

It looks like something you can run a drill on.

One other thing I noticed is that they still had moments where they relied on the ol' dump & chase, but they approached it differently. They were more patient before they gave up the puck. It looked like they were holding onto the puck until it looked like they had a guy who was even with or about to get behind the defense.
Something that was a little hard to judge live, but I'll be looking out for it again.
It was nice to see them not fire the puck away once they got to the blue line.
Hoping for more of that in the regular season.

Boucher really impressed me. The impressive parts was he was making his presence felt on the defensive side of the ice too and was starting plays on both ends. That's the kind of stuff that makes one want to think he is ready.

I liked Boucher's game a lot. I still wouldn't mind him getting some more time in the AHL, though. I think the team will find a way to get him back in the lineup one way or another -- but I think there's more there.

He was good in all 3 zones, created lots of opportunities for himself and others.
But A. it's just a preseason game and B. I want to see more confidence at the net.

I think Boucher has what it takes to be a real offensive threat. I want him to be the type of shooter that gives goaltenders in our divisions nightmares when they go to bed at night. A little more time in Albany being the go to offensive guy can help that, I think. All of my untempered excitement aside :D

kiwidevil

Just watched the highlights. Loved Bouchers' speed. He looks to be a well rounded player, had some nice hands. Looked like an NHLer out there playing against a pre-season team, which is a very good step.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
One other thing I noticed is that they still had moments where they relied on the ol' dump & chase, but they approached it differently. They were more patient before they gave up the puck. It looked like they were holding onto the puck until it looked like they had a guy who was even with or about to get behind the defense.
Something that was a little hard to judge live, but I'll be looking out for it again.
It was nice to see them not fire the puck away once they got to the blue line.
Hoping for more of that in the regular season.

I liked Boucher's game a lot. I still wouldn't mind him getting some more time in the AHL, though. I think the team will find a way to get him back in the lineup one way or another -- but I think there's more there.

He was good in all 3 zones, created lots of opportunities for himself and others.
But A. it's just a preseason game and B. I want to see more confidence at the net.

I think Boucher has what it takes to be a real offensive threat. I want him to be the type of shooter that gives goaltenders in our divisions nightmares when they go to bed at night. A little more time in Albany being the go to offensive guy can help that, I think. All of my untempered excitement aside :D

The amount of people he has to beat on the depth chart I think makes it guaranteed for Boucher to be starting in Albany unless he continues this kind of play. Brunner definitely needs to make sure he stays hungry and watch his back though. Ryder is making a case to stay on this team.

I think 5 on 5 zone entry looked good and way improved from lots of last years disasters. Puck was carried in more and I agree the puck was more smartly dumped in.

Now it's one game and the rags were terrible in the neutral zone but the fact Pete and the players have mentioned that they were making a point to funnel the puck to the net more and get bodies in front. So the fact that we know the system is being tweaked is definitely a positive (means this wasn't an accident haha). Obviously we will see how it works out as the season goes along but considering I have high hopes for our new top line I'm pretty excited.

The ugly parts was the PP. Same old story with zone entries there. It was a mess. Good news is there is time to fix that and lots of our key PP guys weren't playing so it should improve.

PK still looks aggressive and goes with my idea that the coaching staff just has a good system that lots of guys can be plugged into and succeed.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Good
Boucher, Ryder, Elias, Gelinas, Henrique, Severson

Bad
Komisarek, Zubrus, Kaberle, Clemmer, Kelly.

Josefson had jump but butchered a pass to Larsson on odd man rush and flubbed a pass from Henrique late in game.

I liked what I saw from Havlat and Tootoo.

Cam stepped in between Glass trying to start with Larsson in the 2nd. Have to love Cams hustle and passion. Wish he had some skill.

Fedotenko and Sestito were nonfactors.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Now it's one game and the rags were terrible in the neutral zone but the fact Pete and the players have mentioned that they were making a point to funnel the puck to the net more and get bodies in front. So the fact that we know the system is being tweaked is definitely a positive (means this wasn't an accident haha). Obviously we will see how it works out as the season goes along but considering I have high hopes for our new top line I'm pretty excited.

I'm a tad overexcited because I've been wanting to see these types of changes. Especially with personnel that is elevated in talent a bit.
I like that just the tiniest of adjustments that lead to more chances and more opportunities are being done. Because they're necessary.

On the other hand, you watch a sequence like the one that lead to Ryder's goal in the 2nd period... you're never going to get gifted NZ play and backchecking that poorly, combined, from an NHL team in the regular season. (It's in the highlights @ the 1:58 mark http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2014010010)

But it's nice to be picking apart hockey again :)

The ugly parts was the PP. Same old story with zone entries there. It was a mess. Good news is there is time to fix that and lots of our key PP guys weren't playing so it should improve.

I think before the weekend even started PDB mentioned there wouldn't be enough time to over powerplays or much of anything regarding special teams before the game. It was fairly obvious. I think it's worth throwing all of that out and pretend like you never saw it. Probably for the better, too. Ick.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Zubrus looked bad, as in a liability. He just looked like last year, and that won't cut it on a line with Elias.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think Zubrus looked bad, as in a liability. He just looked like last year, and that won't cut it on a line with Elias.

I think he looked better then late last year. Zubs isn't fast, I'm not sure why this is a surprise.

His strengths are his grit, puck possession, and board play. Those took a dive as the season wore on last year and when he looks weak on the boards that is when people should be concerned about him.

That said I think he looked fine in those areas tonight. Problem was that line doesn't have chemistry yet. Guys weren't sure where the others were exactly. They didn't play bad but it limited them from being a true force considering the talent there.

That said I don't even know of this is where Zubs lands on this team. Lot depends on who is on the starting roster and where.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How was Kaberle's game? Saw he led you guys in icetime and was +2, must have been decent at least

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I'd like to see Clowe with Elias and Havlat. I didn't see the 1st 2 periods but it seems like the Henrique line was good. I'd give them a few more games and if they keep it up, we can keep Boucher up. Regardless I'd still like to see Clowe there, and maybe Ruutu can take LW with Henrique and Ryder. Put Zubrus on the 4th line and put Boucher in the minors if he isn't ready to take a spot from someone.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Just woke up and watched the highlights. Boucher looked amazing. Gelly dropping nukes again too. And Henrique with the clutchness :D

Deleted member 28548

When forwards are inevitably moved to clear up room before the opening night roster is decided on, do you look to acquire picks in a deep draft and prospects or try instead to land a veteran depth defenseman?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
we saw the same goal as this tonight......minus the gelly stick break and blitz to bench for stick......

its the the switch to set him up for the timer.....patty is the man

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
When forwards are inevitably moved to clear up room before the opening night roster is decided on, do you look to acquire picks in a deep draft and prospects or try instead to land a veteran depth defenseman?

Picks. There is no room for D depth without sending Merrill down or trading one of Lars/Gely. If they really want depth it will be Kaberle and only if someone gets seriously hurt or falls flat on their face performance wise.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Gelinas really has a sweet spot on the ice when it comes to scoring against the Rangers... Looks like it always hits the same spot too.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Ranger fan coming in peace with a couple (literally, just two) observations after watching that game.

1. Get Komisarek away from the team as fast as you can. Watching a skater like Hagelin tool on him repeatedly was almost laughable.

2. Gelinas' shot is ridiculous. You guys knew that already, but sweet jesus was that awesome. Whoever made the Al MacInnis reference above is onto something.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
really hope havlat stays healthy this year. He looked pretty decent today for his first game in a new system.

Cant wait to see what Cammy-Zajac-Jagr do on thursday

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
any chance for non-us citizens to visit those games?

can someone wrap up the game for me? who was good, who not?

Rob Nieds work ethic

Swarm it up Devils!
Aug 17, 2007
Ranger fan coming in peace with a couple (literally, just two) observations after watching that game.

1. Get Komisarek away from the team as fast as you can. Watching a skater like Hagelin tool on him repeatedly was almost laughable.

2. Gelinas' shot is ridiculous. You guys knew that already, but sweet jesus was that awesome. Whoever made the Al MacInnis reference above is onto something.

Don't sell your guy short. Hagelin might be the fastest skater in the league. Shea Weber would have problems with his speed.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Komisarek's NHL days are numbered. Over.

I also did not like Kaberle much.
Too many turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad