Hockey is dying!!

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
After watching the Leafs vs St louis game tonight, I don't think ANY hockey fan can rant about Soccer "being the most boring sport."

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
After watching the Leafs vs St louis game tonight, I don't think ANY hockey fan can rant about Soccer "being the most boring sport."

Totally agree (with the exception of Raycroft's save on Guerin). It was tedious and I am a Leaf's fan. Fortunately most NHL games are not like that.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
I guess I was, but it's not like we can all follow Spice Girls as closely as you have. I hope you can forgive me for ragging on your favorite group.

Don't guess you were wrong. you were. take accountability for it.

And don't worry, you weren't ragging on my favourite group. you were just posting authoritatively on something you obviously didn't know anything about, for reasons only you know.

No worries on this end.

spence___

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Don't guess you were wrong. you were. take accountability for it.

And don't worry, you weren't ragging on my favourite group. you were just posting authoritatively on something you obviously didn't know anything about, for reasons only you know.

No worries on this end.

That's great that you take it in such stride. I can only imagine the hell you must've gotten in school for your enthusiasm towards the group. The last thing I wanted to do was introduce any more pain to your life.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
So, it's gone up from 12 to 15 spectators?

OK, very funny. You know what's funny too? SM-Liiga:

10/14 teams get the playoffs. First playoff round is best of 3. Second round is best of 7. Third and Fourth round is best of 5. Then they play qualification matches Between Mestis winner and SM-Liiga's last team, but SM-Liiga team can't relegate. They play 56 regular season games (per team) and you play againts some teams 8 times. Almost all teams (10/14 teams) are losing money. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=341158

How can anybody take SM-Liiga seriously?

Last edited:

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
That's great that you take it in such stride. I can only imagine the hell you must've gotten in school for your enthusiasm towards the group. The last thing I wanted to do was introduce any more pain to your life.

actually they were very popular at my school.

Last edited:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
OK, very funny. You know what's funny too? SM-Liiga:

10/14 teams get the playoffs. First playoff round is best of 3. Second round is best of 7. Third and Fourth round is best of 5. Then they play qualification matches Between Mestis winner and SM-Liiga's last team, but SM-Liiga team can't relegate. They play 56 regular season games (per team) and you play againts some teams 8 times. Almost all teams (10/14 teams) are losing money. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=341158

How can anybody take SM-Liiga seriously?

At least you can call SM-liiga a hockey league, while Veikkausliiga is a complete joke compared to the other soccer leagues in Europe. And I am more interested in the NHL than SM-liiga anyway.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
At least you can call SM-liiga a hockey league, while Veikkausliiga is a complete joke compared to the other soccer leagues in Europe. And I am more interested in the NHL than SM-liiga anyway.

Smart to compare hockey leagues and soccer leagues. There is only a few hockey leagues, that you can take seriously in the whole world.

Veikkausliiga is not anywhere close to top soccer leagues and never going to be, because almost all countries in the world soccer is number one. So there's lot's of great or at least good soccer leagues.

Veikkausliiga is going forward, Quality get's better every year.

Look Sweden their soccer league Allsvenskan is not anywhere close to top soccer leagues, but their average attendance is something like 10 000-15 000. Same thing in Norway. Norway's population (4.64 million) is smaller than Finland's (5.275 million).

There's also euro games (CL, UEFA and IT). When HJK was in the Champions League in 1998, I don't think they were a joke. Finnish soccer is now much better than in 1998. Hockey's euro games are a joke.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland

Veikkausliiga's quality is going up. You can't say same about SM-Liiga. Mid-late 90s SM-Liiga was world number 2. Now it's 4th best league at best.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Smart to compare hockey leagues and soccer leagues. There is only a few hockey leagues, that you can take seriously in the whole world.

Veikkausliiga is not anywhere close to top soccer leagues and never going to be, because almost all countries in the world soccer is number one. So there's lot's of great or at least good soccer leagues.

Veikkausliiga is going forward, Quality get's better every year.

Look Sweden their soccer league Allsvenskan is not anywhere close to top soccer leagues, but their average attendance is something like 10 000-15 000. Same thing in Norway. Norway's population (4.64 million) is smaller than Finland's (5.275 million).

There's also euro games (CL, UEFA and IT). When HJK was in the Champions League in 1998, I don't think they were a joke. Finnish soccer is now much better than in 1998. Hockey's euro games are a joke.

Sorry, can't agree with you. Not that finnish soccer hasn't improved and Veikkausliiga hasn't developed as a league, but I dont see it taking over SM-liiga, ever. There are just too many superior soccer leagues to Veikkausliiga in the world which is one of the factors finnish soccer fans generally aren't very interested in their own domestic soccer league.

And even though the average attendance has gone up within the last few years, that doesn't mean it will go up with the same pace during the next few years.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
Sorry, can't agree with you. Not that finnish soccer hasn't improved and Veikkausliiga hasn't developed as a league, but I dont see it taking over SM-liiga, ever. There are just too many superior soccer leagues to Veikkausliiga in the world which is one of the factors finnish soccer fans generally aren't very interested in their own domestic soccer league.

And even though the average attendance has gone up within the last few years, that doesn't mean it will go up with the same pace during the next few years.

Finnish soccer scene is changing. There is now fan culture. What I think is going to happen is, that we are going to see snowball effect. Some of our players who are playing in europe --> return to Veikkausliiga (same happened in Sweden and in Norway), fan culture grows more, Finland qualify to EC or WC, and so on.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland

Here's average attendances 2006:

Sweden: 9423
Norway: 9056

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Finnish soccer scene is changing, There is now fan culture. What I think is going to happen is, that we are going to see snowball effect. Some of our players who are playing in europe --> return to Veikkausliiga (same happened in Sweden and in Norway), fan culture grows more, Finland qualify to EC or WC, and so on.

Why would they come back? Why would they stop living the dream of their lives and come back to Finland and return to play where the competition is worse, the weather sucks, they get paid worse etc..?

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
Why would they come back? Why would they stop living the dream of their lives and come back to Finland and return to play where the competition is worse, the weather sucks, they get paid worse etc..?

I mean players over 30. Litmanen already played one season FC Lahti. Nurmela (HJK) and Wiss (TamU) are both former european pro's and they are still playing in the national team. I don't mean only players, but coach too Mixu Paatelainen is now TPS coach and Honka's coach Mika Lehkosuo played in Serie A (Peruggia). We are going to see more this in the future. Veikkausliiga get better --> salaries goes up.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
What is the average attendance of Veikkausliiga? Just curious.

Also one reason why Veikkausliiga's average attendance goes up in the future is the fact, that we are going to see Finland's biggest cities in the Veikkausliiga. JJK (Jyväskylä) is now playing in division one, JJK is a potential Veikkausliiga club in 2-4 years. Also Kups (Kuopio) and Pori are coming. Clubs that are most likely to relegate are the smaller cities clubs like MIFK (Maarienhamina) and Jaro (Pietarsaari).

Last edited:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I mean players over 30. Litmanen already played one season FC Lahti. Nurmela (HJK) and Wiss (TamU) are both former european pro's and they are still playing in the national team. I don't mean only players, but coach too Mixu Paatelainen is now TPS coach and Honka's coach Mika Lehkosuo played in Serie A (Peruggia). We are going to see more this in the future. Veikkausliiga goes forward --> salaries goes up.

Oh I see it then. The players that are so close reaching the retirement and want to continue their professional careers for a few more years but didn't manage to make it to any other league. Sounds very promising. :sarcasm:

Sarcasm aside, how many of those really were star players in Europe? Aki Berg came back to Finland after playing over 600 NHL games, but I don't think that's very much to brag about.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
Oh I see it then. The players that are so close reaching the retirement and want to continue their professional careers for a few more years but didn't manage to make it to any other league. Sounds very promising. :sarcasm:

Sarcasm aside, how many of those really were star players in Europe? Aki Berg came back to Finland after playing over 600 NHL games, but I don't think that's very much to brag about.

They make Veikkausliiga a better league. They show example to younger players. Their experience helps finnish clubs in european competitions. Nurmela scored Finland's winning goal vs. Armenia in last EC qualification match. They are still a good players. Seriously believe me. We have seen this same thing happen in Sweden and Norway. When Veikkausliiga get better and better these players start coming back younger (29-30) from Europe and leaving later (21-22) to Europe.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
They make Veikkausliiga a better league. They show example to younger players. Their experience helps finnish clubs in european competitions. Nurmela scored Finland's winning goal vs. Armenia in last EC qualification match. They are still a good players. Seriously believe me. We have seen this same thing happen in Sweden and Norway. When Veikkausliiga get better and better these players start coming back younger (29-30) from Europe and leaving later (21-22) to Europe.

EOM! :bow: :yo: :bow:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If you hate Futisforum (BTW it's 2 now) why you use missä pelaa?

Never said I hated it, I'm registered there (kakkonen on ykkönen) my self. Hockey and football are my top 2 favourite sports. I just think that you're completely overblowing this matter. I also think you should get that caffeine iv off and get some sleep, you've been in this thread for atleast 12 hours.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

Yeah I know. I was just kidding.

But seriously though, I personally don't follow Veikkausliiga at all. However, I do follow the Champions League and Finnish national team games, and of course the World Cup and Euro Cup when they're on. And when there's a top European league game shown on TV I might watch it, but that's pretty much about it. Veikkausliiga games are simpy too boring to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad