Hockey is dying!!

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
Football is taking over in Finland. MLS is going forward in America. Latino population is growing fast in america and most of them like football. Football is the biggest sports in the world. You can't stop football.

In Slovakia they have made a huge mistakes. Slovakian junior production is dying.

Throw in a global warming and it's harder and harder to find frozen outdoor rinks and ponds in the future.

It's over.

Last edited:

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
yea ive heard alot about finnish football becoming very popular and soccer shouldnt be a threat as it has been on the top of the world for ever

personally i dont like when we reffer to hockey as dying because even of the sport cant hang on the same level as the nba nfl etc.

there will always be hockey on some level and as long as there is somewhat of a true fanbase and some sort of national broadcasting ill be fine

if they stop trying to compete maybe theyll go back to the basics of hockey we all grew up loving and have missed so much

jsginsocal

Feb 1, 2007
Orange County, CA
Football is taking over in Finland. MLS is going forward in America. Latino population is growing fast in america and most of them like football. Football is the biggest sports in the world. You can't stop football.

In Slovakia they have made a huge mistakes. Slovakian junior production is dying.

Throw in a global warming and it's harder and harder to find frozen outdoor rinks and ponds in the future.

It's over.

Nobody is trying to stop football. The NFL has steam rolled all other professional sports in America - you won't get any arguments on this board.
MLS is going forward about as fast as it was 5 years ago...at a very very slow rate.
The NHL is healthy and doing fine.
As for Finish hockey - all the Finnish people keep rating Teemu Selanne as being the sexiest man alive (cough cough). That should say enough about the respect finish people have for hockey because Teemu is one tough sell for sexiest man alive.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
My point wasn't a global warming (some people still try to deny it, which doesn't make any sense). Anyway even football is easily the most popular sports in the world already. It's going to be even bigger.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Nobody is trying to stop football. The NFL has steam rolled all other professional sports in America - you won't get any arguments on this board.
MLS is going forward about as fast as it was 5 years ago...at a very very slow rate.
The NHL is healthy and doing fine.
As for Finish hockey - all the Finnish people keep rating Teemu Selanne as being the sexiest man alive (cough cough). That should say enough about the respect finish people have for hockey because Teemu is one tough sell for sexiest man alive.

I dunno about that, the Beckham signing probably made the galaxy much more popular in LA than the Kings.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Football is definately going to get more popular in the North-America, than it's now.

Isn't that what "they" said after the World Cup that was hosted here?

And when the women won the World Cup?

And when Pele joined the Cosmos?

I've been hearing this argument for years now.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
Here I thought this was a sarcastic, trolling thread, but I guess you were actually serious?

MLS is doing fine. When Pele and played in the America, nobody knew what football is. Pele was almost 40 and totally over the hill. Beckham is 31/32.

Football's potential in the America is much bigger than hockey 's potential.

jsginsocal

Feb 1, 2007
Orange County, CA
I dunno about that, the Beckham signing probably made the galaxy much more popular in LA than the Kings.
I live in Southern Cali and I would HIGHLY doubt that. It seems the only people that care about the Galaxy are the hispanics and a few soccer moms. I don't know that I have talked to anybody who is all of a sudden gained an interest in soccer because beckam signed. But I guess time will tell. Besides - the Kings have sucked for 10 years.
Trust me, I've been to a few Galaxy games - the NHL has NOTHING to worry about.

jsginsocal

Feb 1, 2007
Orange County, CA
MLS is doing fine. When Pele and Beckenbauer played in the America, nobody knew what football is. Pele and Beckenbaur were almost 40 and totally over the hill. Beckham is 31/32.

Football's potential in the America is much bigger than hockey 's potential.

That is further from the truth then you realize. Soccer was significantly more popular back when Pele was around. People actually paid to go watch a soccer game in NY when Pele was there. Now a days the only people who go to soccer games are the people who got free tickets with their kids meals.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I live in Southern Cali and I would HIGHLY doubt that. It seems the only people that care about the Galaxy are the hispanics and a few soccer moms. I don't know that I have talked to anybody who is all of a sudden gained an interest in soccer because beckam signed. But I guess time will tell. Besides - the Kings have sucked for 10 years.
Trust me, I've been to a few Galaxy games - the NHL has NOTHING to worry about.

Yeah, but conversely.. the NFL/MLB/NBA/Nascar has nothing to worry about in terms of the NHL overtaking them in popularity. I mean, you live in the OC right? You know that the ducks being a great team hardly register there. The ratings are horrid from that area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->