Hockey Arena XIX - Vagrant is the King!

smetana

B2B2B2B HA Champs
Aug 5, 2006
USA I.1
I couldn't be more surprised that I was able to win I.1 in the regular season. Even more surprising to me is that my team only allowed 37 goals in 30 games of league play. I don't know how it's going to carry over into the playoffs, as there are some VERY talented and top heavy units out there, but I hope to repeat in I.1 ....because it won't be long before the rebuild begins in earnest.

Stifling defense is the reason why. You're allowing, what, about 12 shots per game?

Nicely developed team. Good luck! We've got some strong teams ready to go at it. I expect primetime to be a tough customer, and speedy's team is also looking quite strong.

Forsbergwannabe

Sep 16, 2006
Odense Denmark
Stifling defense is the reason why. You're allowing, what, about 12 shots per game?

Nicely developed team. Good luck! We've got some strong teams ready to go at it. I expect primetime to be a tough customer, and speedy's team is also looking quite strong.

It seems to me that team strength is the key to a stifling defense these days, as the "hitting" score in the game recap seem to make a huge difference regarding number of allowed shots.

BuffaloNick

Registered Money
May 5, 2013
The Banana Stand
Successful first full season back. Had four of the top six goal-scorers in my league; seven of the top 10 in points, including all of the top four; top three defensemen by points; and the top goalie by SV%, although I'd imagine that's mostly a function of the low number of shots I gave up. Only finished 2nd in the league due to some unfortunate real-world induced absences from the game that led to me not properly preparing tactics for a few important games. Still, feel like I'm in a pretty good place for playoffs.

Two of the other top teams in my league have had sort of a geezer goalie arms race that's frustrated my normally-prolific offense, so I picked up a geezer winger to counter. 296 AI, 335 EXP and -6P for $10M. Plus, he's +3 so I can sell him on my own terms when that time comes. Kind of a big salary, but I've got a nice nest egg to fund ongoing stadium construction anyway, and winning is fun.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It seems to me that team strength is the key to a stifling defense these days, as the "hitting" score in the game recap seem to make a huge difference regarding number of allowed shots.

I have a line with a checking profile where the two defenders have 96% pure profile and the forwards all have greater than 85% power profile. The line is 100% checking chemistry and 100 +5 form. Without that line, my team would be entirely lost. I haven't seen them have a bad game in an incredibly long time. Somehow, none of this came at the expense of their offense. I can't stress enough how important it is to have a checking line.

smetana

B2B2B2B HA Champs
Aug 5, 2006
USA I.1
I can't stress enough how important it is to have a checking line.

It's certainly worked for you. But there are other viable team-building philosophies as well. That's something I like about HA. There's no "insta-championship" team build. It can be done many different ways, but it has to be done right.

Forsbergwannabe

Sep 16, 2006
Odense Denmark
It's certainly worked for you. But there are other viable team-building philosophies as well. That's something I like about HA. There's no "insta-championship" team build. It can be done many different ways, but it has to be done right.

True but from what I have been able to gather from looking at the top national and WL teams, the tendency certain leans towards high strength. That is especially true on dmen and centers. I do realize top teams will have the ai to spare, so they can add that extra strength. I have however come to believe, it is crucial for success at the highest level.

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
True but from what I have been able to gather from looking at the top national and WL teams, the tendency certain leans towards high strength. That is especially true on dmen and centers. I do realize top teams will have the ai to spare, so they can add that extra strength. I have however come to believe, it is crucial for success at the highest level.

I don't think many will argue against that. The debate is how important is it to have wingers with strength?

smetana

B2B2B2B HA Champs
Aug 5, 2006
USA I.1

You've long proved your wisdom to me on HA matters, so I'll defer to your analysis. I will say that, even though I don't employ a true "strength driven" team, and no checking line to speak of, I do in fact develop high strength on all my d-men (70-80) and centers (50-70). As just one part of my overall formula, I have enjoyed success, so I'm satisfied.

Forsbergwannabe

Sep 16, 2006
Odense Denmark
I don't think many will argue against that. The debate is how important is it to have wingers with strength?

Obviously thats impossible to say with any certainty, but in my capacity as national coach I have scouted many players and I can tell you that the very successful dutch first line have some very high strength wingers and fairly mediocre offense skills. That is by national teams standards of course, but I am inclined to believe its primary the combined "hitting" rating that is very important.

On my own team I am raising strength across the board right now, as I feel that gives me the greatest return on ai right now. The results should be noticeable within a season, so if the hypotesis turn out to be true, then shots against should drop significantly.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

True, I didn't intend to imply that it was impossible to win without one. I haven't been around the game long enough to make claims like that one. I defer to you guys on that front for sure. I just have a few different lines on my team. The traditional offensive line that attempts to "out AI" other top lines with a 400+ center and a 360+ winger, both built traditionally, and a speed winger that serves as my "1A" line and my "1B" line with considerably lower AI (300-340-300) high checking profile dominates at a higher rate for me. The 1A line blows apart weaker teams, but the 1B line is more likely to yield for me in close games. I don't know what kind of meaningful conclusions to draw from that, but it's interesting to note for sure. I just wanted to offer my build advice for any beginners that might be reading the way all you guys did for me.

As a rule, my defenders all reach the 25-30 SC range and ideally have 80+ strength by the time they're 250 AI. I build most of my defensemen in the pure category and try to have a few PP defenders on the roster either on my low 3rd line or my relatively inactive 4th line with spot duty.

Forsbergwannabe

Sep 16, 2006
Odense Denmark
You've long proved your wisdom to me on HA matters, so I'll defer to your analysis. I will say that, even though I don't employ a true "strength driven" team, and no checking line to speak of, I do in fact develop high strength on all my d-men (70-80) and centers (50-70). As just one part of my overall formula, I have enjoyed success, so I'm satisfied.

Thx for the kind words and you are certainly very proven as well! The ironic part is you have better strength then I do atm, so you probably have a better balance right now. My team however has enough potential left to rectify the situation and that is the sole focus right now.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006

This is interesting since I remember quite a few seasons ago you advocated 35 strength as all that a center needed. I'm not trying to attack you here, just noting how ideas have changed is all. Of course this was probably at least ten seasons ago, so there's that.

Forsbergwannabe

Sep 16, 2006
Odense Denmark
This is interesting since I remember quite a few seasons ago you advocated 35 strength as all that a center needed. I'm not trying to attack you here, just noting how ideas have changed is all. Of course this was probably at least ten seasons ago, so there's that.

The HA landscape has changed quite a bit over the past 10 seasons and back then, getting 70 passing was alot more important then 50+ strength on centers imo. These days players have so high ai, that strength really doesn´t sacrifice team offense, at least not when compared to the defensive benefit.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
The HA landscape has changed quite a bit over the past 10 seasons and back then, getting 70 passing was alot more important then 50+ strength on centers imo. These days players have so high ai, that strength really doesn´t sacrifice team offense, at least not when compared to the defensive benefit.

You'd still agree with sacrificing AI for loyalty, right?

Forsbergwannabe

Sep 16, 2006
Odense Denmark
You'd still agree with sacrificing AI for loyalty, right?

Yes within reason obviously, but the money saved can be used for extra very high ai and fully developed players, when the time comes to be a real contender. Every contending team needs a healthy dose of +3 players these days or the financial strains would be enormous.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
And...it's Vagrant and me in the finals!

I think the difference here was my ability to conserve TS throughout the playoffs by mixing in a few games on low against weaker competition in the early rounds. I came into our series with Heavenly TS, which made the difference. I think your semi-finals series going 3 games may have forced a TS burn.

Congrats on making it to the finals and trust that soon my time up here will be over. My team doesn't have the makeup to make it in the long haul. I'm just glad I was able to pull off a couple of titles in the interim.

smetana

B2B2B2B HA Champs
Aug 5, 2006
USA I.1
I think the difference here was my ability to conserve TS throughout the playoffs by mixing in a few games on low against weaker competition in the early rounds. I came into our series with Heavenly TS, which made the difference. I think your semi-finals series going 3 games may have forced a TS burn.

Congrats on making it to the finals and trust that soon my time up here will be over. My team doesn't have the makeup to make it in the long haul. I'm just glad I was able to pull off a couple of titles in the interim.

Congrats on the win, you made it look easy.

Not making excuses, but you're right about the TS. I came into the series cold. Ah well, we'll try again next time.

BuffaloNick

Registered Money
May 5, 2013
The Banana Stand
Down in lowly V.2, I just won my championship. Pleased with myself, but obviously compared to the rest of what's going on here, not necessarily a huge accomplishment :laugh:

Forsbergwannabe

Sep 16, 2006
Odense Denmark
Hey Forsbergwannabe, we're in the same group in WL this season!

Be gentle :laugh:

Yeah I saw that, but currently it seems to me that this a true 50/50% game! I am still looking for an upgrade on defense and a better third line wing, but perhaps I found those players by the time. Anyway it is gonna be fun :).

Diskothek

Aug 15, 2007
Didn't make playoffs last season but no issues staying in III. Sold off a few guys with little to no potential left.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Frustrating when you have a player in the Top 10-15 range in AI and will be in the Top 8 in a week in his country with 12P remaining and can't sell him to the NT manager. Especially when he has some positional versatility. Le sigh. Oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad