Hitman (2016)

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
this looks legit af. waiting on a replacement grphics card but as soon as itr comes im trying these :D

16179174_10155046079978987_673195280784902948_o.jpg

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Welp, Squeenix cut bait on IO Interactive today, citing them as an "extraordinary loss" (in a financial sense. As in claiming they were hemorrhaging giant piles of cash) and ending their subsidiary relationship.

No word on what this means for the future of the game (since it was supposed to have a second season of content produced and has still been running Elusive Target missions as recently as like a week ago) but given that the Hitman franchise rights went to Square when they bought up Eidos, it's unlikely that IOI could strike out on their own or team up with another publisher to continue the franchise.

This potentially really sucks.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Welp, Squeenix cut bait on IO Interactive today, citing them as an "extraordinary loss" (in a financial sense. As in claiming they were hemorrhaging giant piles of cash) and ending their subsidiary relationship.

No word on what this means for the future of the game (since it was supposed to have a second season of content produced and has still been running Elusive Target missions as recently as like a week ago) but given that the Hitman franchise rights went to Square when they bought up Eidos, it's unlikely that IOI could strike out on their own or team up with another publisher to continue the franchise.

This potentially really sucks.

A god damn shame if true.

I bought the complete first season of Hitman recently and it is sensational. After the abomination that was Hitman: Absolution, IOI completely redeemed itself with the latest game.

Hitman: Blood Money is one of my all time favourite games and the new Hitman feels like it, only with bigger maps and updated graphics.

It would completely suck if they get the boot right after almost perfecting the formula for a Hitman game. **** Square Enix if IOI and the Hitman franchise go down. These clowns always have unrealistic expectations for games.

Fwiw, an apparently reliable German gaming magazine claims that a trusted source has told them that season 2 of Hitman is already in development and IOI is looking for investors. If so, that would be amazing. Here's hoping...

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Season 2 has been in development. Its development costs are factored into Square's reported losses.

Sounds like the first season didn't sell enough to warrant the development costs the second season was accruing, so they're cutting bait.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
A glimmer of hope:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/hitman-may-survive-sale-of-developer-io-interactiv/1100-6450365/

When Square Enix first revealed its plans to explore a sale of IO, it did not indicate whether the Hitman IP would be sold off with it; it wasn't out of the question that Square Enix could hold onto the rights and allow the franchise to become dormant. But that doesn't appear to be the plan, based on a newly released English transcript of Square Enix's post-earnings results briefing.

"Our decision to withdraw from the IO Interactive business was the result of a review of our portfolio that we conducted as part of our effort to concentrate our resources in order to strengthen our development capabilities," Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda explained. "Because the firm is engaged in the development of Hitman and other renowned titles, we are negotiating with prospective external investors capable of ensuring that these titles carry on."

That last bit is where the promising news comes in. Whether it sells the Hitman IP rights along with IO or is willing to license them out, there's apparently a willingness on Square Enix's part to allow Hitman to continue

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
IOI under a patient, realistic about sales publisher would be amazing. They've already laid a solid foundation with the current Hitman and can really build something truly special with the next one.

Also, I hope if there is a next Hitman, that it has a full release. While the episodic format worked fine for Hitman 2016, I still prefer a full release by a lot.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
IOI under a patient, realistic about sales publisher would be amazing. They've already laid a solid foundation with the current Hitman and can really build something truly special with the next one.

Also, I hope if there is a next Hitman, that it has a full release. While the episodic format worked fine for Hitman 2016, I still prefer a full release by a lot.

The market for this kind of games is very small.

Making a AAA game of this kind does not make financial sense.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The last elusive target mission of this season will launch on Friday. It'll be in Marakesh (which is good for me because I just did the extra mission and fortune teller unlocks there so the level's layout is fresh in my mind)

Here's hoping it's not the last bit of hitman content entirely. I'm a little miffed because I sucked at the first couple of ET missions when I got the game in January, so if I do this one it'll only be my 4th completion. That means I miss out on the 5 success and 5 Silent Assassin unlocks by 1 mission (and a colorado mission one so I could get the tactical gear with hat unlock too.)

Maybe it it turns out there's no S2 they could do some kind of "go out with a bang" unlocking spree where you can replay earlier ET missions even though they said they were never going to go back to them again.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Whoa. 6gb update - that's huge...I thought the game was done with. What's it all about?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Whoa. 6gb update - that's huge...I thought the game was done with. What's it all about?

I don't think just the last update today was a full 6gb. There have been updates over the last few weeks though, including one that did some front-end overhauling including a new set of splash screens/title cards and some changes to the HUD and whatnot (the first time I played after an update every time I did something it would have a little pop up/time stop thing where it explained what that was (picking up items, being spotted, being compromised, knocking someone out and being reminded to hide the body, etc)

It kind of feels like the stuff they would put in place now in expectation of S2 being on the horizon.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I beat the first season a while ago. When's the second one?

Nobody's sure. The signs point to there being one, but there's never been an official announcement.

In prep I'm almost done with most of the S1 unlocks. I need to finish the opportunities in Landslide to get its item reward, finish 10 escalation contracts, and maybe try my hand at the Professional difficulty level unless it proves too awful.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Nobody's sure. The signs point to there being one, but there's never been an official announcement.

In prep I'm almost done with most of the S1 unlocks. I need to finish the opportunities in Landslide to get its item reward, finish 10 escalation contracts, and maybe try my hand at the Professional difficulty level unless it proves too awful.

I play just the main missons and maybe a few contracts. I feel like club 27 is the best mission I bet a lot of people love freedom fighters though :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I play just the main missons and maybe a few contracts. I feel like club 27 is the best mission I bet a lot of people love freedom fighters though :laugh:

Freedom Fighters is awful. At least at first until you get enough perks unlocked to start with a disguise. Then it gets a lot more fun.

I actually like A Guilded Cage (Marrakesh). The bonus Sapienza mission "The Icon" (where you have to kill the actor) is pretty fun too, even if it kind of streams you into the quirky opportunity kills more than most instead of just letting you do whatever.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Freedom Fighters is awful. At least at first until you get enough perks unlocked to start with a disguise. Then it gets a lot more fun.

I actually like A Guilded Cage (Marrakesh). The bonus Sapienza mission "The Icon" (where you have to kill the actor) is pretty fun too, even if it kind of streams you into the quirky opportunity kills more than most instead of just letting you do whatever.

I hate it because four targets is way too much for me. I've only played like 2 hitman games including this one. A gilded cage is pretty good.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I hate it because four targets is way too much for me. I've only played like 2 hitman games including this one. A gilded cage is pretty good.

Gilded Cage has two of my favorite black comedy kill setups. You can kill Strandberg with a taxidermied moose and Zaydan with a toilet (and not by drowning him in it)

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Gilded Cage has two of my favorite black comedy kill setups. You can kill Strandberg with a taxidermied moose and Zaydan with a toilet (and not by drowning him in it)

Yeah I did the Moose. It seems like that was the easiest way to kill him as well. I didn't even know about the toilet. I think I killed that guy while being the prisoner iirc

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yeah I did the Moose. It seems like that was the easiest way to kill him as well. I didn't even know about the toilet. I think I killed that guy while being the prisoner iirc

This is why I like the game's replay value. You can do the missions 4 or 5 times over and find different things to do each time.

The toilet kill is easy. You get into the school building and find the room with the two guys who are ****-talking Zaydan. Right behind them is a switch to turn on the school's PA system. Turn it on and it'll broadcast their chat over the whole building, making Zaydan confront them (if he's upstairs it'll first be through the hole in the ceiling of that room. Then he'll come downstairs to chew them out). Rush up to the bathroom right above the radio room, and when Zaydan enters the downstairs area to yell at the guards, you can kick the toilet hanging on the edge of the hole down right on top of him, killing him instantly. If you back away from the hole quickly enough and nobody else sees you it'll even be credited as an accident kill (meaning no witnesses and it retains your potential for Silent Assassin rating)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/h...utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage

These are the patch notes for the July patch, plus the added data for the Entertainer elusive target.

Xbox One Loading Times

• After a recent update, Xbox One users reported to us that the game was taking longer to load than usual, especially when restarting a contract. We've looked into this and now have the Xbox One loading times back to where they should be. Thanks to our Xbox One players who reported this.
Excuse me, I found a weapon

• We've fixed an issue that could cause guards to repeatedly drop weapons that they discovered on the ground. This issue was prominent on The Icon mission.
Bathroom Break

• We've fixed an issue that could cause the toilet in the Marrakesh school to behave erratically after 47 kicks it onto Zaydan. This could occasionally result in 47's death. Seriously.
Cancelling Connecting

• We've fixed an issue that could cause players to inadvertently cancel the "connecting" prompt and enter "Offline Mode."
Opportunity Lost After Loading

• We've fixed an issue that could cause the Opportunity Marker (the little light bulb) to disappear after a save/load cycle.
Trespassing v Hostile Area

• We've implemented a fix for a Known Issue from our June Update. The "Trespassing" and "Hostile Area" status messages on the mini-map now display correctly.
Maximum Mastery

• We heard that some players have had issues unlocking the trophies/achievements associated with reaching Mastery level 20 in various locations. We've implemented a change so that the game will re-check whether you have reached level 20 when you launch the game and award the appropriate trophies/achievements.
Trophy Typography

• We've made some necessary updates to the trophy descriptions on PS4; corrected a few typos and mistakes.
Unconscious Witness

• We've also implemented a fix for the other Known Issue from our June Update. The "Unconscious Witness" status on the mini-map is know displayed correctly.
Miscellaneous Bug Fixes

• We've fixed other minor issues across the board to keep the game in fantastic shape.

IOI also reported that there will be an August patch too even though it apparently won't tie to an elusive target or the like. But it's still a solid bit of evidence for a season 2 launch. Perhaps by September or October.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
August update releases tomorrow. It will feature some "player curated" custom contracts and a new Hokkaido challenge pack called "The Art of Revenge" that features an unlockable reward weapon (apparently a katana)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What does player curated custom contracts mean?

I think it means that they've had a player pick out a set of player-made custom contracts to be the "featured contract" that appears on the game's main menu. There's always been a box for featured contracts, but they've usually had the chosen contract picked by a staff member instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad