Player Discussion: Hickey

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
So I know he catches a lot of crap around here but how can you not like this guy? After having watched his exit interview it was refreshing to see an athlete speak so eloquently with out stammering . This little glimpse into the person of Thomas Hickey reminds us they are more then just assets. Criticism is thrown around these boards with reckless abandon, often we forget this is the best league in the world and how difficult it must be to play on this level. This team had way too many rookies on it this year especially on the defense yes there were injuries but half the D were freshman a recipe for failure. And the coaching was pathetic a good coach puts players in positions to succeed not fail. But we don't have a good coach! I wish Thomas Hickey all the best and hope he finds a home this off season he seemed very genuine to me a most certainly a stand up guy.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
This thread reminds me of that guy that had half this board convinced Matt Donovan was a good defenseman (has played in zero NHL games after the Isles cut him loose). Good times!

Reactions: bigd

Willoc94

Jan 17, 2015
Nassau
So you think this season Thomas Hickey was a better player than Nick Leddy? I've seen it all now.

Can you please elaborate on how or why Leddy was better? Generally curious.

Those in the anti-Hickey camp haven't provided any evidence in about 5 pages other than "eye test" and "you guys just idolize this player".

Myself and other have added that Hickey routinely kept less pucks out of our net when he was on the ice as compared to Leddy And we also explained that Hickey produced even strength points at a higher rate than Leddy.

This is less important to the Hickey/Leddy debate but one could also make a small case that Pulock has played his best hockey to date while paired with Hickey.

Reactions: bigd and LeapOnOver

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Can you please elaborate on how or why Leddy was better? Generally curious.

Those in the anti-Hickey camp haven't provided any evidence in about 5 pages other than "eye test" and "you guys just idolize this player".

Myself and other have added that Hickey routinely kept less pucks out of our net when he was on the ice as compared to Leddy And we also explained that Hickey produced even strength points at a higher rate than Leddy.

This is less important to the Hickey/Leddy debate but one could also make a small case that Pulock has played his best hockey to date while paired with Hickey.

Honestly, I never knew there was an argument as for this Leddy vs Hickey debate going on. I always just thought it was universally known Leddy is a better hockey player than Thomas Hickey. This is a guy that got votes for the Norris Trophy for one year. Could you see Hickey playing 22 minutes per night against some of the best players in the league like this organization has forced Leddy into? He had an off year defensively, but was it the system or was it just him? Probably both. Leddy is already not amazing defensively, the system did not help either.

This isn't even a debate. Thomas Hickey was better defensively than Nick Leddy. Leddy was horrific.

The question was whether or not Hickey is a better player than Leddy.

This board falls in love with some awful players. Quine is still riding that OT goal from 3 years ago LMAO

Yep.

Comparing Hickey to Quine and Donovan is ludicrous. I thought you knew more about hockey.

One is a bottom six forward and the other a bottom six defenseman. Not really. Oh and both scored big playoff goals!

Actually Hickey was better than Leddy this year.

If we reverse the roles do you thin Hickey has a better year than Leddy still?

So I know he catches a lot of crap around here but how can you not like this guy? After having watched his exit interview it was refreshing to see an athlete speak so eloquently with out stammering . This little glimpse into the person of Thomas Hickey reminds us they are more then just assets. Criticism is thrown around these boards with reckless abandon, often we forget this is the best league in the world and how difficult it must be to play on this level. This team had way too many rookies on it this year especially on the defense yes there were injuries but half the D were freshman a recipe for failure. And the coaching was pathetic a good coach puts players in positions to succeed not fail. But we don't have a good coach! I wish Thomas Hickey all the best and hope he finds a home this off season he seemed very genuine to me a most certainly a stand up guy.

Sure. I wasn't saying Hickey was a bad guy though.
A garbage can would be better than Leddy this season.

To be fair they could've thrown five garbage pails out there in the defensive zone and a swiss cheese in net and probably give up less goals.

Hickey performed better in his role, than Leddy did in HIS role.

I don't think anyone was suggesting Hickey>Leddy in a vacuum.

That's a fine argument, but people here are arguing Hickey>Leddy this year.
Arguably, yes, from a defensive standpoint.

Against his own talent or in general?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
[QUOTE="YearlyLottery, post: 144328263, member: 187561]
If we reverse the roles do you thin Hickey has a better year than Leddy ?[/QUOTE]

You’re getting hung up on who the better defenseman is. It will always be Leddy. But this season Hickey did a better job in his role as a bottom pair defenseman than Leddy did as a top pair Dman. Frankly there were games it seemed like Leddy forgot how to play defense altogether. He was awful on a regular basis.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Comparing Hickey to Quine and Donovan is ludicrous. I thought you knew more about hockey.

Yes... people here are saying Hickey is better than Leddy and I'M the one with questionable hockey knowledge. This thread makes me feel like that time I got into an argument with one of those flat earth nuts.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Thomas Hickey played almost six hundred less minutes than Leddy (5mins less per night on average), against lesser competition and still managed to have more turnovers. And I'd wager almost half of those were from behind his own net. Too bad the ones that ended up in our net didn't count as assists.

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
If we reverse the roles do you thin Hickey has a better year than Leddy ?

You’re getting hung up on who the better defenseman is. It will always be Leddy. But this season Hickey did a better job in his role as a bottom pair defenseman than Leddy did as a top pair Dman. Frankly there were games it seemed like Leddy forgot how to play defense altogether. He was awful on a regular basis.[/QUOTE]

I'm getting hung up on who the better defenseman is because people said it is Hickey. I'm not arguing your point.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
You’re getting hung up on who the better defenseman is. It will always be Leddy. But this season Hickey did a better job in his role as a bottom pair defenseman than Leddy did as a top pair Dman. Frankly there were games it seemed like Leddy forgot how to play defense altogether. He was awful on a regular basis.

I'm getting hung up on who the better defenseman is because people said it is Hickey. I'm not arguing your point.[/QUOTE]

Some people said it was Hickey, more people say he played better against the competition he faced. What I don't understand is, Leddy showed this season he can't play top minutes, and Hickey showed he probably deserves to be in the 3/4 conversation since he excelled where he was.

So you have a guy that played 1/2 minutes and a guy that played 5/6 minutes, and one butchered it while the other nailed it. It's reasonable to think they both deserved 3/4 pairing minutes. Nick Leddy would end up being better than Hickey in that role, but i'd say it wouldn't be by a landslide. Nick Leddy fans should definitely be back down to earth now.

Reactions: Instant

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I don't think there is any question of which player has more talent. That is Nick Leddy all the way. Which player was the better defenseman this past season, that was Hickey without question.
As of right now with the defenseman that are signed for next season the Islanders are worse off and that's a scary thought because they were putrid this past season.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
If we reverse the roles do you thin Hickey has a better year than Leddy ?

You’re getting hung up on who the better defenseman is. It will always be Leddy. But this season Hickey did a better job in his role as a bottom pair defenseman than Leddy did as a top pair Dman. Frankly there were games it seemed like Leddy forgot how to play defense altogether. He was awful on a regular basis.[/QUOTE]
This is the argument that he is missing time and time again.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Leddy sucked this year because he tried to be something he's not and got way too far away from his game. He will never be a big time Dman. On a Stanley Cup hopeful he's a #2 or 3.

Hickey is what he is. He's not awful and he's not above average. He's your basic bottom pairing dman. The difference between the two this year is Hickey didn't do anything out of the norm for him while Leddy tried to be this all world player and got roasted for it.

Reactions: PWJunior

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Thomas Hickey played almost six hundred less minutes than Leddy (5mins less per night on average), against lesser competition and still managed to have more turnovers. And I'd wager almost half of those were from behind his own net. Too bad the ones that ended up in our net didn't count as assists.

5 mins less per game. Nick Leddy played 3 of those minutes on the power play, while Hickey averaged 5 seconds of PP time per game. Taking away that time would actually HELP Leddy's stats because he constantly coughed up pucks and/or got beat for short handed chances and goals.

Leddy is/should be the better player. This past season, he was not.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
This is the argument that he is missing time and time again.[/QUOTE]

No it's not the argument, many posters here are seeing exactly what some of you said.

You even said "arguably yes, from a defensive standpoint"

On what earth does that not mean better?

I'm getting hung up on who the better defenseman is because people said it is Hickey. I'm not arguing your point.

Some people said it was Hickey, more people say he played better against the competition he faced. What I don't understand is, Leddy showed this season he can't play top minutes, and Hickey showed he probably deserves to be in the 3/4 conversation since he excelled where he was.

So you have a guy that played 1/2 minutes and a guy that played 5/6 minutes, and one butchered it while the other nailed it. It's reasonable to think they both deserved 3/4 pairing minutes. Nick Leddy would end up being better than Hickey in that role, but i'd say it wouldn't be by a landslide. Nick Leddy fans should definitely be back down to earth now.[/QUOTE]

Leddy is realistically a middle pairing defenseman, but he also had a bad year. Some folks around here are forgetting just how useful he was for us is years past. I do think he will bounce back (he was never a top pairing guy, but certainly a useful 3/4), but they need to get a defensive system in place now.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Overpowered again, goal Devils.
I was in this thread watching the game when this happened. Little if any eye test involved.
I wanted to stay away, really.
As to the current detour, Leddy had a horrible year.
My questions to you pro-Hicks:
1. Too lazy to look up what he makes now, how high do you go to get him to come back given our current roster and finances?
2. When we make the playoffs, where do you hide him?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I was in this thread watching the game when this happened. Little if any eye test involved.
I wanted to stay away, really.
As to the current detour, Leddy had a horrible year.
My questions to you pro-Hicks:
1. Too lazy to look up what he makes now, how high do you go to get him to come back given our current roster and finances?
2. When we make the playoffs, where do you hide him?
When we make the playoffs he will be long retired.

Reactions: Instant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad