OT: HFNYR Official Foodie Thread including Craft Beer, Wine & Liquor

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I tasted the Screaming Sicilian frozen pizza. Frozen pizza is never great but I would say the sauce and toppings seemed fresher and better tasting than the average frozen pizza. The crust was average.

Motor City probably has the best crust though for frozen pizza imo.

My favorite frozen pizza is Amnon's from Brooklyn but they don't sell it by me anymore.

There is a company Katies Pizza in St. Louis that I would really like to try. Their meatballs look great.

Curious where you live that you're on such a big frozen pizza kick?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Curious where you live that you're on such a big frozen pizza kick?
I'm currently in FL. LOL I have been on a 3 year frozen pizza investigation because I do not like wasting money on bad tasting stuff. I've been trying various kinds of frozen fries as well. I know my diet sounds bad but its not. :D

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Saw a air fryer on sale today at Costco. I think they are over hyped but was thinking of getting this one because it looks like I could fit a small pizza or half a pizza in there.
You would air fry pizza?

My oven has a giant air fryer (one of the reasons we chose that oven) and I use it for various foods (mostly fries and veggies) but I haven't tried it on pizza- I'm concerned the fan with the heating element would melt/burn the top of the pizza (cheeses) before the dough is cooked through

Reactions: LokiDog

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You would air fry pizza?

My oven has a giant air fryer (one of the reasons we chose that oven) and I use it for various foods (mostly fries and veggies) but I haven't tried it on pizza- I'm concerned the fan with the heating element would melt/burn the top of the pizza (cheeses) before the dough is cooked through
I have not tried it yet. It would depend on the kind of air fryer. I would only try it in a air fryer that has a clear window and would crisp the crust. The kind I'm speaking about looks like a large square toaster oven not the round basket kind of oven fryer. I usually only consider air frying anything if the directions include air fryers. My oven is a convection oven but the reason I mentioned the air fryer is I would like to make some things without using my big oven. Something like this air fryer below.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I have not tried it yet. It would depend on the kind of air fryer. I would only try it in a air fryer that has a clear window and would crisp the crust. The kind I'm speaking about looks like a large square toaster oven not the round basket kind of oven fryer. I usually only consider air frying anything if the directions include air fryers. My oven is a convection oven but the reason I mentioned the air fryer is I would like to make some things without using my big oven. Something like this air fryer below.
Nice, if you do it post how it goes here.

Also for Amnons, if there's a supermarket with a frozen kosher section (or just a kosher supermarket) there's a decent chance they'll have it. I used to live a few blocks from the actual pizza store in Boro Park Brooklyn called Amnons, used to go all the time. I loved buying their dough to make my own pizza.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Nice, if you do it post how it goes here.

Also for Amnons, if there's a supermarket with a frozen kosher section (or just a kosher supermarket) there's a decent chance they'll have it. I used to live a few blocks from the actual pizza store in Boro Park Brooklyn called Amnons, used to go all the time. I loved buying their dough to make my own pizza.
I believe the Amnons that you used to go to in Brooklyn is who makes these slices. They look like real 18 inch slices that were cut and frozen then packed in a box. Sadly they do not sell them by me anymore. My Costco had them for a little while. I bought 2 boxes :)

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So, I may have a decent opportunity coming up - I’ve been through several steps and it feels really good but I’m trying not to count any chickens before they hatch. It’s also not a GREAT salary, but has the potential to at least replace 85% of my earnings if I hit all of my targets. It’s a regional distribution rep for a fairly large TX craft brewery. The pay isn’t amazing but the role itself is maybe the best fit I can imagine, and I could certainly excel at it. Unfortunately, at this point I finally overdrew my bank account and scraping the barrel here a bit. I’m hoping to hear from the brewery Monday but not optimistic that I would start until after the holidays, and I really need to figure out something for the next couple of weeks. But pretty excited at the opportunity to work in the craft beer industry. At least.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
So, I may have a decent opportunity coming up - I’ve been through several steps and it feels really good but I’m trying not to count any chickens before they hatch. It’s also not a GREAT salary, but has the potential to at least replace 85% of my earnings if I hit all of my targets. It’s a regional distribution rep for a fairly large TX craft brewery. The pay isn’t amazing but the role itself is maybe the best fit I can imagine, and I could certainly excel at it. Unfortunately, at this point I finally overdrew my bank account and scraping the barrel here a bit. I’m hoping to hear from the brewery Monday but not optimistic that I would start until after the holidays, and I really need to figure out something for the next couple of weeks. But pretty excited at the opportunity to work in the craft beer industry. At least.
Awesome. You'd be great at that gig. Fingers crossed.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Awesome. You'd be great at that gig. Fingers crossed.

It would be such a good job for me. I met with the entire rest of the sales team the other day and almost unanimously they said it’s the best job ever. It won’t ever make me rich, but if I’m only gonna be breaking even one way or the other, it sounds like this would be the way to do it. Brewery has an amazing restaurant at the tasting room too and they let all their people pour pints and put in food to their heart’s content whenever they stop by the brewery.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It would be such a good job for me. I met with the entire rest of the sales team the other day and almost unanimously they said it’s the best job ever. It won’t ever make me rich, but if I’m only gonna be breaking even one way or the other, it sounds like this would be the way to do it. Brewery has an amazing restaurant at the tasting room too and they let all their people pour pints and put in food to their heart’s content whenever they stop by the brewery.
Fantastic. Money is great, but 10/10 I would choose working with good people even if it meant taking less salary.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Fantastic. Money is great, but 10/10 I would choose working with good people even if it meant taking less salary.

I’m definitely very optimistic. If I get it I’ll be thrilled. There will still be financial stress for a while but it’s a really great fit for me. Manhattan Project Beer Co. They make some genuinely good beer as well. And the irony of a NYer moving to TX and ending up working to a company with Manhattan in the name would be amusing.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I’m definitely very optimistic. If I get it I’ll be thrilled. There will still be financial stress for a while but it’s a really great fit for me. Manhattan Project Beer Co. They make some genuinely good beer as well. And the irony of a NYer moving to TX and ending up working to a company with Manhattan in the name would be amusing.
I still wouldn't trust their pizza if they make any.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I still wouldn't trust their pizza if they make any.

No pizza

IMG_6841.png

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Did some pan seared Walleye the other night.

Cast iron... cold. Skin down... med/low to render the fat & crisp the skin.

Blackened the flesh side

Just amazing. What a great fish. Kinda hard to find here in FL but WOW

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Blackened the flesh side

May be surprising but Culvers sells it in season. I have a friend that really likes it.

Reactions: Riche16

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Some of these local artisan companies in TX have done great. No shortage of beer drinkers in TX. Torchy Tacos started with 1 food truck in Austin. Now they have over 100 retail locations. Good luck with it!

For sure. This brewery has already grown tremendously and is well reputed in the area. They’re under construction right now for the launch of a second tasting room about an hour from the original location and definitely have runway to grow. I was notified today that I got the gig, though they want me to wait til after New Year’s to start. So nearly back to work. I just need to figure out some cash to get us through the end of the year and holidays now.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
For sure. This brewery has already grown tremendously and is well reputed in the area. They’re under construction right now for the launch of a second tasting room about an hour from the original location and definitely have runway to grow. I was notified today that I got the gig, though they want me to wait til after New Year’s to start. So nearly back to work. I just need to figure out some cash to get us through the end of the year and holidays now.
That is huge! Congrats! You should be proud that when the going got tough you got going. Very happy for you.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Great news. Happy for you buddy.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I always get the regular cashews at Costco. Today I got the Toffee Cashews. Price per ounce was about the same. These are so good. They are like candy though so keep that in mind.
They may have been on sale at Costco. Only paid $7.99
Here is a link to them at Walmart.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Blackened the flesh side

Walleye is the gourmet fish in its species. Everything in the perch family is delicious but walleye is just amazing. Not at all fishy or gamey, just a tender and delicious fish. They're also great fun to catch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad