• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Anyone arguing for Draisatl. If you had your choice right now moving forward picking one of Matthews, Mackinnon or Draisatl to build your team around, Draisatl as good he is would be a laughable pick.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Anyone arguing for Draisatl. If you had your choice right now moving forward picking one of Matthews, Mackinnon or Draisatl to build your team around, Draisatl as good he is would be a laughable pick.
Draisaitl is bigger than both, a better playmaker than Matthews (dude just went 55-55, a feat not done since Mario in 1996) and a better goal scorer than Mack (50+ goals twice...Mack has 0)

not to mention a Hart, Art Ross and a Ted Lindsay... Mack and Matthews don't have all 3 (Mack has none)

so tell me why I should pick Matthews or MacKinnon over Drai?

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I think the answer depends on whether we're talking about the best player or the player that best excels at the centre position.

Regardless, Draisaitl is better than MacKinnon, but when it comes to playing centre, I think Matthews makes a compelling case because of his face-off percentage and strong defensive acumen alongside of course, his goal scoring.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
He also completely dismantled the Flames in the playoffs with 17 points in 5 games while playing on one leg. That was the most points ever scored by a player in a 5 game series in NHL history, and was only two points shy of tying the record for any length of series. If the series went to 7 games he likely would have easily beat the record of 19.
to be fair, if a player is scoring 17 points in 5 games, what are the odds there will be 7 games?

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Draisaitl is bigger than both, a better playmaker than Matthews (dude just went 55-55, a feat not done since Mario in 1996) and a better goal scorer than Mack (50+ goals twice...Mack has 0)

not to mention a Hart, Art Ross and a Ted Lindsay... Mack and Matthews don't have all 3 (Mack has none)

Matthews is an inch taller and only 3lbs lighter lol. Matthews is a better goal scorer (51 in 50 not done since Lemieux), better defensively, is more physical, and has a Hart, Ted Lindsay, and 2 Richard trophies... Draisaitl doesn't have all 3

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
Matthews is an inch taller and only 3lbs lighter lol. Matthews is a better goal scorer (51 in 50 not done since Lemieux), better defensively, is more physical, and has a Hart, Ted Lindsay, and 2 Richard trophies... Draisaitl doesn't have all 3
You forget about Draisaitl’s Art Ross? Cause Matthews doesn’t have all three

Reactions: snipes and Duke74

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
You forget about Draisaitl’s Art Ross? Cause Matthews doesn’t have all three
Matthews doesnt have all three of "Hart, Ted Lindsay, and 2 Richard trophies"?

Because yes he does. If you read the post youre quoting in the correct context you can see he swapped out the Art Ross for the Rocket Richard to suit his argument better, which is a reflection of the post he is mocking.

Matthews doesnt have "all three" just like Draisaitl doesnt have "all three". Because the 3 is changable and a thus a bad measuring stick.

(Mack has none)

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
You guys may be right, didn’t think of Draisaitl. What would your argument be for Draisaitl?
has won an Art Ross, Hart and Lindsay trophy.
Has finished 1,2,4,4 in the scoring race past 4 seasons
Has finished 2,2,4,4 in goals past 4 seasons
Has the highest playoff ppg of the 3 players
is 2nd to matthews in career ppg by 0.01
Has the highest single season point total of the 3
has the highest single post season point total of the 3

Can be a goalscorer or playmaker. Best Penalty killer of the 3. had 55 goals 55 assists last year in regular season. 32 points in 16 playoff games, played over half the games on a high ankle sprain in the playoffs.

Hes clearly in the 2nd tier behind McDavid (drai,/mack/matthews). Each of the 3 guys has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Barkov is pushing to be in that group IMO

Reactions: Duke74 and snipes

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Mack would be my last choice tbh.

Matthews is the only guy who may have another gear to hit above his current one

KidLine93

May 15, 2012

Matthews is about the same size. He also plays great 5v5 D. he just doesnt have the physical element/mean streak to his game the other 2 have. But its still effective. I can see people taking Matthews. Plus hes the youngest and may have another gear in him.

I'm a bit lost on the mackinnon takes though. He seems to benefit from a stacked wingers/d-core at this point. Drai/Matthews very much are one of the 2 guys that drives their teams production whereas Mack has about 2-3 other guys who are carrying similar load offensively.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
has won an Art Ross, Hart and Lindsay trophy.
Has finished 1,2,4,4 in the scoring race past 4 seasons
Has finished 2,2,4,4 in goals past 4 seasons
Has the highest playoff ppg of the 3 players
is 2nd to matthews in career ppg by 0.01
Has the highest single season point total of the 3
has the highest single post season point total of the 3

Can be a goalscorer or playmaker. Best Penalty killer of the 3. had 55 goals 55 assists last year in regular season. 32 points in 16 playoff games, played over half the games on a high ankle sprain in the playoffs.

Hes clearly in the 2nd tier behind McDavid (drai,/mack/matthews). Each of the 3 guys has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Barkov is pushing to be in that group IMO
Don’t forget that Drai has a spectacular talent of being a turnstile on defense!

Great offensive player though. Fun to watch

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
MacKinnon has 41 goals and 93 points in 70 playoff games. Give me Mack. Has proven more than AM34 who I think is next

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Tough.

I’m uncomfortable putting Matthews at 2 with his playoff track record, even though he could very well be the second best centre.

Draisaitl and MacKinnon are basically a toss up. Drai is a Swiss Army knife. You never know if he’s going to be on McDavid’s wing, or at centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00