Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Another argument in favour of Draisaitl is that he spent most of the season playing with subpar wingers while Mac and Matty played with all-star wingers in Rantanen and Marner respectively. Draisaitl's best winger was...Kailer Yamamoto.
Was Drai playing against first pairing defenses assigned to him? If so, that tips the scale in favor of him in my eyes as number 2. I don’t get to watch games in West often. But Matthews is a one trick pony surrounded by propaganda and MacKinnon floats too much for 82 games. I do think Mack is a playoff beast, but he couldn’t lift that cup without that little kid carrying his team which takes away from some of his glory.

• Haha
Reactions: RapidKnight

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
MacKinnon
add Barzal Lindholm Pettersson Scheifele O'Reilly Miller Malkin and Kopitar

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Mack
Drai
Matthews
Barkov

Seems most continue to under rate the playoffs and over rate the regular season.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Was Drai playing against first pairing defenses assigned to him? If so, that tips the scale in favor of him in my eyes as number 2. I don’t get to watch games in West often. But Matthews is a one trick pony surrounded by propaganda and MacKinnon floats too much for 82 games. I do think Mack is a playoff beast, but he couldn’t lift that cup without that little kid carrying his team which takes away from some of his glory.
Draisaitl played against elite competition about as much as McDavid, so yes, he often drew the other team's top lines and top-pairing defenders. The perception of him as a "defensive liability," an age-old narrative mustier than your local public library, comes from the fact that he plays against top competition while being burdened with subpar wingers.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
LMAO, the "one trick pony" is doing things we haven't seen since Mario Lemieux

Pretty good trick he has, luckily he has others as well

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
mila-stauffer-whatever.gif

Reactions: leafsfan5

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Other than recency bias what is the argument for MacK here?

I need people (non Colorado fans) to explain to me how Drai gets discounted because he plays on the same PP as McDavid or occasionally on the same line but MacKs wingers are Rantanen and Landeskog with the best offensive dman in the game feeding him?

Even with those teammates he gets outproduced by Drai over the past 3 years and please don’t bring up defense because MacK doesn’t play any, he just plays on a stacked line that controls possession

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Other than recency bias what is the argument for MacK here?

I need people (non Colorado fans) to explain to me how Drai gets discounted because he plays on the same PP as McDavid or occasionally on the same line but MacKs wingers are Rantanen and Landeskog with the best offensive dman in the game feeding him?

Even with those teammates he gets outproduced by Drai over the past 3 years and please don’t bring up defense because MacK doesn’t play any, he just plays on a stacked line that controls possession
Wouldn't recency bias actually favor the other 2, especially Matthews?

Last 4 seasons; Mack 1.31 ppg, Matthews 1.24 ppg
Last 3 seasons: Mack 1.35 ppg, Matthews 1.29 ppg
Last 2 seasons: Mack 1.35 ppg, Matthews 1.38 ppg

Playoffs: MacKinnon 77 points in 57 games (1.35 ppg) last 3 years, vs.....very little for Matthews.

Mack > Matthews argument is based on them being close in regular season, and Mack quite a lot better in playoffs.

As for Drai - in the end, it comes down to how much people value McDavid, and his contributions to Drai's numbers. His points per game in the regular season is higher than both, and even in playoffs now after the 2022 playoffs. So - it comes down to the McDavid factor.

I really think you can make an argument for any of the 3 of them, just depending on what you like better.

I personally voted for Drai, but it's close.

Reactions: wetcoast

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Mack > Matthews argument is based on them being close in regular season, and Mack quite a lot better in playoffs.

So Matthews and Mackinnon only played against the same team 1 time in the playoffs over the last few years. It was Tampa. Mackinnon got the version with an injured Point for the entire series.

Here's how they fared (Keep in mind, this forum regularly states that Rantenen > Marner aswell, and Makar defintiely > Rielly, so linemates aren't a disadvantage for Mack).

Mackinnon 6GP, 1G, 5Pts
Matthews 7GP, 4G, 9Pts

Call me crazy but maybe there is more to this than just saying one is better because one has more counting stats.

They share a tier directly below McDavid.

I have them:

1. McDavid

2. Matthews
3. Drai
4. Mackinnon

5. Barkov / Point / Bergeron etc

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Draisaitl, Mack, and AM are fully interchangable and noone can tell me otherwise.

I voted homerish for AM but also because he's coming off 60 goals and a Hart trophy but there is really no gap between the 3 imo.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So Matthews and Mackinnon only played against the same team 1 time in the playoffs over the last few years. It was Tampa. Mackinnon got the version with an injured Point for the entire series.

Here's how they fared (Keep in mind, this forum regularly states that Rantenen > Marner aswell, and Makar defintiely > Rielly, so linemates aren't a disadvantage for Mack).

Mackinnon 6GP, 1G, 5Pts
Matthews 7GP, 4G, 9Pts

Call me crazy but maybe there is more to this than just saying one is better because one has more counting stats.

They share a tier directly below McDavid.

I have them:

1. McDavid

2. Matthews
3. Drai
4. Mackinnon

5. Barkov / Point / Bergeron etc

That's an extremely weak rebuttal. Playoff opponents vary across conferences. And if you were to look at strength of opponents, not so sure Mack doesn't still have the edge. Leafs lost to teams they had no business losing to past 3 years (Columbus, Habs). Colorado - not so much. And in the end - playoff production and leading team to victories matters in playoffs, regardless of opponents.

Matthews' case over Mack lies in focusing on the past 2 seasons mostly, as well as goals. And its a good case he has if you want to argue him above Mack.

My point was all 3 including Drai are similar tier - who you rank above depends on what you value more (or, in many cases, which team you're a fan of).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad