OT: HF Canes Fantasy Football: that dumb handegg league

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
In a PPR league, I trade Ezekiel Elliot and Doug Baldwin for Gio Bernard Matt Jones and Keenan Allen should I do it

whos your other starter besides zeke?

if you desperately need the rb depth id say yes, bc bernard can be valuable in ppr and allen is a beast

if you dont, i say give zeke a game or two before you trade him

(im a really good fantasy player, but my biggest weakness is that i love rookie rbs. my first year playing fantasy i drafted a rookie adrian peterson in like the 6th round, and traded him 3 days before the week 1 game for cadillac williams, at the time an AMAZING trade to a friend who i thought was just "overly obsessed with rookies." then, two years later, i drafted a rookie matt forte, and traded him for braylon edwards a week before the season, in a dynasty league nonetheless. i tend to let rookies prove their worth before trading them preseason now.)

Caniac125330

Jul 13, 2011
North Carolina
whos your other starter besides zeke?

if you desperately need the rb depth id say yes, bc bernard can be valuable in ppr and allen is a beast

if you dont, i say give zeke a game or two before you trade him

(im a really good fantasy player, but my biggest weakness is that i love rookie rbs. my first year playing fantasy i drafted a rookie adrian peterson in like the 6th round, and traded him 3 days before the week 1 game for cadillac williams, at the time an AMAZING trade to a friend who i thought was just "overly obsessed with rookies." then, two years later, i drafted a rookie matt forte, and traded him for braylon edwards a week before the season, in a dynasty league nonetheless. i tend to let rookies prove their worth before trading them preseason now.)

That's the thing, my other starter at RB is David Johnson so odds are I'd be fine at RB while making a significant upgrade at WR getting Allen.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I would not make that deal. You are giving up the 1st and 3rd best player in the deal which is never a good sign. Matt Jones will WW fodder or injured by week 5.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
That's the thing, my other starter at RB is David Johnson so odds are I'd be fine at RB while making a significant upgrade at WR getting Allen.

who are your wideouts?

if johnson is your other rb id say no way, bernard/jones is better than elliot/sproles (or etc.), but you do NOT need both jones and bernard

unless youre starting braxton miller and danny amendola at wr id say no way

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Depends on what your full RB/WR situation looks like, and if you start 3 WRs or the standard 2/2/Flex. Mind listing out what you have?

I'd try to drop Jones and Baldwin from the trade. I don't think Jones really gives you much here, and even though I'm not a big Baldwin fan I'm assuming he's a starter for you. I don't really play PPR, but I'd be okay with DJ and Gio at RB if Allen would be a big upgrade to your WR group.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
As the others have mentioned above, please list out your full roster and the position categories. My first impression is a no, but it depends on your full roster.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Big Ben
Elliot
Johnson
Evans
Maclin
Walker
Tate
Seahawks
Tucker
Baldwin
Duke Johnson
Snead
Michael Thomas
Tevin Coleman
Isaiah Crowell
Terrence West

Pick up Alfred Morris (hopefully he is available) and drop Thomas or Coleman.

Elliot (or Morris if Elliot falters/gets injured) to Gio or Duke for RB2 is a huge downgrade while Tate/Baldwin to Keenan Allen is only a moderate upgrade.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Just comes down to which players you want to roll with at this point. You drafted Zeke/Baldwin so I figure you like them well enough, so I'd just stay put. I'm high on Allen and Gio in general, but I wouldn't be shocked if Duke Johnson pulled a similar stat line to Gio this year. Zeke is a bit of a wildcard, he certainly could be a stud and live up to his draft position or he could see a limited workload in a split backfield with Morris as the Cowboys play the long game for this season. I don't think we can say that either view is right or wrong at this point. Probably best to just wait things out a couple weeks and readdress your team then.

Caniac125330

Jul 13, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks for the advice guys. My thought is Romo going down could hurt Zeke's production, while Gio is a good RB2 in PPR and Jones should be the Redskins starter, while I think Allen has the potential to be a top 5 WR this year.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, that's fair. You could really argue either way on how the Romo injury will affect Zeke. We just don't know at this point. Agree on Gio being a solid RB2 option in PPR, and I do really like Allen too. Still nothing wrong with staying put at this point and waiting until we have some relevant games to work from.

If you did end up doing something similar to that original trade, I'd suggest also doing another 2 for 1 to consolidate some of that depth. Maybe try to move Tate with Duke Johnson for a better RB/WR. But that assumes you can find the right trading partner, and I wouldn't do the first one unless I could do both.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I'm not in this league, so I figured I might as well come here for some trade advice. Here are the parts of my roster that matter for this one:

QBs - Phillip Rivers, Ryan Tannehill. Got a waiver claim in on Osweiler, for whom I'd drop Tannehill. But I'm 10th in the waiver order, so I may not get him.
WRs - DeAndre Hopkins, Brandin Cooks, Jordan Matthews, DeVante Parker, Corey Coleman.
TEs - Martellus Bennett and Dwayne Allen.

Andy Dalton seems underrated to me. I asked my friend, who for some reason drafted 4 middle-of-the-road QBs, what it would cost to get him as an insurance policy in case Rivers stumbles without his best receiver (which he did last year). He came back with Dalton and Delanie Walker for Coleman and Allen.

Walker feels like a known quantity compared to my two unpredictable TEs, but I suspect Allen may break out now that he's taking over for Fleener. I feel like Coleman may fall off once Gordon comes back, and I like my other wideouts pretty well. Of course, this would leave me with 3 QBs, so I'd have to trade one of them for whatever I could get or drop him in favor of a free agent WR.

Standard ESPN scoring and roster setup, with one IR slot (not using it at the moment). Twelve-team league.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, that's a fair enough trade. You've got enough in front of Coleman at WR and Allen/Walker are similar enough in value. I like Allen a bit more, but he does have Doyle to deal with at TE (he had 2 TDs this week) while Walker's workload is a bit more secure.

Finnish Jerk Train

Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Yeah, that's a fair enough trade. You've got enough in front of Coleman at WR and Allen/Walker are similar enough in value. I like Allen a bit more, but he does have Doyle to deal with at TE (he had 2 TDs this week) while Walker's workload is a bit more secure.

Yeah, this was my other thought. Even if Allen breaks out, Walker's probably going to be a bit more stable from week to week. There are enough game breakers in my WR and RB ranks that Allen would have to really outdo himself for me to miss him, and I figure Walker should at least pull his weight this season.

The guys on my hockey team had similar thoughts, so I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Thanks!

Finnish Jerk Train

Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Bump to see if this is going to be a thing again this year.

Matt Jones will WW fodder or injured by week 5.

Prescient!

Pick up Alfred Morris (hopefully he is available) and drop Thomas or Coleman.

Less prescient.

Got a waiver claim in on Osweiler, for whom I'd drop Tannehill.

I don't even know what this was, but it sure as hell wasn't prescient.

This is fun, we get to go back and look at how wrong we were in the early going. At least I did that trade, cancelled the not-prescient waiver claim, and dropped Tannehill.

Anyway, I'm coming off my first year playing fantasy (after about 10 years of resisting) and looking for another league or two to join. Did we get good participation last year? Any spots opening up?

Last edited:

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Sure, I'll reactivate the league.

Just post in here if you still want to play, and if you didn't play last year but want to get on the waitlist I'll start that too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad