Hey Terry, Do Us A Favor and SELL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Also the Bandits have made multiple championships that they did not win in the Pegula era. It’s not like they are a laughingstock. They are one of if not THE preeminent team in their league.

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
Also the Bandits have made multiple championships that they did not win in the Pegula era. It’s not like they are a laughingstock. They are one of if not THE preeminent team in their league.

Right, Terry bought a premier box lacrosse team and did nothing. And in return he still owns a premier box lacrosse team.

Now the Sabres on the other hand.....hard pill to swallow that we would be better off if Terry bought the team and then did absolutely nothing.

Reactions: Chainshot

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I struggle with the idea that somehow pegula is both too involved and yet doesn't care or isn't present enough. I see these both get floated here a lot. For the record I dislike pegula. It's just weird to see people believe both these are true.

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
Are there any NHL/NFL franchises that have depreciated in value in the last 10-15 years?

Owning an NFL or NHL team isn't like opening a local restaurant. The Coyotes basically play at the Northtown (Pepsi) Center and their value increased like 40 or 50% last year.
Well yeah that was my point. Maybe not explained well. There is no reason for him to sell. Failing to win a championship (Bills) or make the pla yoffs (Sabres) didnt put a dent in their value so im sure there is no sense of urgency to sell like the fans would like, hoping to get better ownership.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
People actually believing the NHL would move out of Buffalo is hilarious. Look at how hard they’re fighting to stay in Arizona over the last decade+ which has a history of no fans.

You think they’re going to move out of one of their strongest TV markets even when they haven’t made the playoffs in 13 years? A team on the USD? No f***ing chance. Sabres are a cash cow in waiting, the league will be thrilled once they get it together.

Even if Pegula did want to sell them to someone who wants to move, Gary would not let it happen. He’s already done it once.

Stop with the doomsday bs. Unless the arena suddenly collapses and the state declines to build a new one, we aren’t going anywhere.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I struggle with the idea that somehow pegula is both too involved and yet doesn't care or isn't present enough. I see these both get floated here a lot. For the record I dislike pegula. It's just weird to see people believe both these are true.
The "Where is Terry at?!?!" stuff is 100% because people want to throw tomatoes at him. They want him on WGR every week taking calls so Bill from Tonawanda can spew venom at him for the state of the franchise.

They also want Terry to be as knee jerk as they are and fire the coach after every game where the team's energy wasn't great or the PP design is horrible. And they want the GM fired if they haven't fixed everything within 2 or 3 years of being hired.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The "Where is Terry at?!?!" stuff is 100% because people want to throw tomatoes at him. They want him on WGR every week taking calls so Bill from Tonawanda can spew venom at him for the state of the franchise.

They also want Terry to be as knee jerk as they are and fire the coach after every game where the team's energy wasn't great or the PP design is horrible. And they want the GM fired if they haven't fixed everything within 2 or 3 years of being hired.
I want to ask Terry real questions no one's gotten to in years.

"Is this team under a budget now?"

"When will you spend to the cap, and if so, when?"

"What are your thoughts on the current team?"

"Do you still want to make this hockey heaven?"

Reactions: sabremike

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I want to ask Terry real questions no one's gotten to in years.

"Is this team under a budget now?"

"When will you spend to the cap, and if so, when?"

"What are your thoughts on the current team?"

"Do you still want to make this hockey heaven?"
I believe that Kevyn Adams has been asked if there is an internal budget multiple times and every time he says that there are no financial impediments to him making decisions. So, I doubt Terry is going to change the company line on that topic regardless of whether anyone believes it or not.

Here is what I would expect him to say:

"Is this team under a budget now?" - There are no restrictions to what Kevyn Adams can do within the constraints of the CBA.

"When will you spend to the cap, and if so, when?" - Whenever Kevyn feels that is best for the team, it will happen. But, Kevyn has a plan for how to build and evolve the roster knowing that the young players we are drafting and developing will earn raises in the future.

"What are your thoughts on the current team?" - It has been disappointing that it has taken this long. But, we have full faith in Kevyn's vision for the team and what he has done so far.

"Do you still want to make this hockey heaven?" - Of course. It has just been harder than one would hope. Spending money doesn't equal wins in pro sports. You need to have the right people making decisions and we have faith in Kevyn and the front office he has put together.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005

I hope Terry reads this bro.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Terry Pegula took one of the proudest franchises in the sport and turned them into arguably the single biggest laughingstock in that sport's history. The only modern owner
in any sport he can be compared to in terms of devastating incompetence and destroying a market thought to be impossible to destroy is Dan Snider in Washington.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I believe that Kevyn Adams has been asked if there is an internal budget multiple times and every time he says that there are no financial impediments to him making decisions. So, I doubt Terry is going to change the company line on that topic regardless of whether anyone believes it or not.

Here is what I would expect him to say:

"Is this team under a budget now?" - There are no restrictions to what Kevyn Adams can do within the constraints of the CBA.

"When will you spend to the cap, and if so, when?" - Whenever Kevyn feels that is best for the team, it will happen. But, Kevyn has a plan for how to build and evolve the roster knowing that the young players we are drafting and developing will earn raises in the future.

"What are your thoughts on the current team?" - It has been disappointing that it has taken this long. But, we have full faith in Kevyn's vision for the team and what he has done so far.

"Do you still want to make this hockey heaven?" - Of course. It has just been harder than one would hope. Spending money doesn't equal wins in pro sports. You need to have the right people making decisions and we have faith in Kevyn and the front office he has put together.
Absolutely 0% chance he speaks that succinctly. Also, to #2 "You don't think it was a good idea to add to the team this current season??"

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Absolutely 0% chance he speaks that succinctly. Also, to #2 "You don't think it was a good idea to add to the team this current season??"
With how the team ended last season, Kevyn felt the group we had deserved a shot to end the playoff drought. Unfortunately, it didn't work out as we all hoped.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
With how the team ended last season, Kevyn felt the group we had deserved a shot to end the playoff drought. Unfortunately, it didn't work out as we all hoped.
I respect Adams' plan and like a lot he's done, and if that's how he thought, he was an idiot. He knew he didn't even have the group fully in the summer when Quinn went out, and put all his stock in the 21-22 1sts being ready, just like Murray did in 2016 with Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching. Then Seth Griffith beat them all out.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

It seems like he overvalued Olofsson as a trade piece and then again as a possible filler for Quinn. They once again ran a lineup that featured a mostly useless, identity-less trio most nights that they had any individual out of the lineup. Jost regressed from his active game after being on waivers down to someone who is clearly the AHL vet/recall guy now.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I respect Adams' plan and like a lot he's done, and if that's how he thought, he was an idiot. He knew he didn't even have the group fully in the summer when Quinn went out, and put all his stock in the 21-22 1sts being ready, just like Murray did in 2016 with Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching. Then Seth Griffith beat them all out.
Adams and Granato have openly talked about that being the case over the past 9 months or so.

Adams remaining patient when Quinn went down a few days before UFA kicked off is the biggest mistake of the off season for me. One big challenge for what they have built thus far is that they have two key players that have a history of missing time in Quinn and Samuelsson. It will be interesting to see how that they manage that moving forward.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
He is clearly involved, as is evidenced by his daily calls with the GM and sitting at every draft table. He had to have a conversation with McDermott after the playoff loss before Sean could even talk to the media. He is present for both teams, which is his right as an owner. As for not caring, I think it is specific with the Sabres. The Pegulas completely changed their MO during COVID, and the only reason Kevyn has the job now is that he was willing to fire everyone else.

Having worked as a Controller for a business that was heavily impacted by COVID, I fully understand it. But the strategy has shifted. They have not restored the staff to where it was pre-COVID, and they have clearly maintained minimal spending. The arena is getting modest upgrades over the next few years. They have spent well under the cap.

This is my conjecture on their behavior:
  • Heavy cash outlay for football team. Football is massive, and they are one of the top spenders over the last few years. Despite their vast wealth, liquidity has to be a concern between the salary spend and the football stadium cost overruns.
  • Massive failures when they first took ownership of the Sabres - they spent a lot of money very quickly and very poorly, and it hampered their ability to build a team. Hell, we are still paying for the decision to pay Skinner. They were burned heavily, and it has changed their approach to roster building. to this draft and wait approach.
  • The fan aspect - Terry in particular is a hockey fan, and a hockey team is a lot smaller than the machine that the NFL requires. He likely feels more apt to meddle, and the decision to have a pliable yes man as the GM seems to give this idea credence.
So I do believe that both Terry and Kim have been meddlesome, and do not want to relinquish control. I further believe that they have not provided ample resources to the Sabres over the last 4 years, both due to liquidity concerns and a philosophical shift. They want to minimize losses while they hope that the team develops its way out of incompetence.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He is clearly involved, as is evidenced by his daily calls with the GM and sitting at every draft table. He had to have a conversation with McDermott after the playoff loss before Sean could even talk to the media. He is present for both teams, which is his right as an owner. As for not caring, I think it is specific with the Sabres. The Pegulas completely changed their MO during COVID, and the only reason Kevyn has the job now is that he was willing to fire everyone else.

Having worked as a Controller for a business that was heavily impacted by COVID, I fully understand it. But the strategy has shifted. They have not restored the staff to where it was pre-COVID, and they have clearly maintained minimal spending. The arena is getting modest upgrades over the next few years. They have spent well under the cap.

This is my conjecture on their behavior:
  • Heavy cash outlay for football team. Football is massive, and they are one of the top spenders over the last few years. Despite their vast wealth, liquidity has to be a concern between the salary spend and the football stadium cost overruns.
  • Massive failures when they first took ownership of the Sabres - they spent a lot of money very quickly and very poorly, and it hampered their ability to build a team. Hell, we are still paying for the decision to pay Skinner. They were burned heavily, and it has changed their approach to roster building. to this draft and wait approach.
  • The fan aspect - Terry in particular is a hockey fan, and a hockey team is a lot smaller than the machine that the NFL requires. He likely feels more apt to meddle, and the decision to have a pliable yes man as the GM seems to give this idea credence.
So I do believe that both Terry and Kim have been meddlesome, and do not want to relinquish control. I further believe that they have not provided ample resources to the Sabres over the last 4 years, both due to liquidity concerns and a philosophical shift. They want to minimize losses while they hope that the team develops its way out of incompetence.
Agree with this. Which is exactly why I wish someone would interview Pegula and challenge him on it.

Reactions: sabremike

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
You do know that pretty much every owner sits at their draft table. That's really an obscure thing to be upset about as it's one of the NHL's big weekends with everyone that's anyone being there
I am not upset about it in the least, rather it is supporting evidence that he is remaining engaged and involved. I know that they usually schedule owners ' meetings around the draft, so maybe it is not worth mentioning at all. The point remains that the Pegulas remain heavily involved per the information to which we have access (eg Kevyn's reference to daily phone calls). The meddling is more of a concern when the rumors persist about Terry's involvement around Skinner's contract (to the point that other league execs do not blame Jason Botterill at all for it).

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You do know that pretty much every owner sits at their draft table. That's really an obscure thing to be upset about as it's one of the NHL's big weekends with everyone that's anyone being there
Personally, I am way more concerned about Terry being regularly involved with the pre-draft amateur scouting meetings (per Kevyn Adams recently) than being at the table during the draft.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Random, semi-related question. How much does Terry loathe Eichel? Or do I have it backwards?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Terry may be involved…but his money isn’t. It’s the worst of both worlds.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Personally, I am way more concerned about Terry being regularly involved with the pre-draft amateur scouting meetings (per Kevyn Adams recently) than being at the table during the draft.
Or sitting at rookie camp with a clipboard and highlighter.

• Wow
Reactions: Jim Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad