Confirmed with Link: Hertl signs 2 years 6 million ($3m AAV)

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I just feel Couture's contributions get unfairly marginalized in favor of. . . basically anyone else at times

Why is Logan the whipping boy on these forums? Not far removed from people saying Marleau carried his line and he wouldn't be a top line player if Patty was moved

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
The best part of this is that someone here scooped Kurz

Last edited:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
To be clear: I'm super happy we have both players as they're both fantastic, I just feel Couture's contributions get unfairly marginalized in favor of. . . basically anyone else at times

Certainly not by me. Couture deal literally was a show me deal, literally because he had only been in the league one full season. Yeah he showed a lot during that season, but that's irrelevant to its timing.

This does include staying healthy, because there again was only one season of data to go on.

Hertl has shown he can stay healthy, the Brown knee was a dirty hit and he played 183 out of 188 total games in the last 2 seasons.. Any player is liable to get banged up by the end of a Finals run. You will find several players on the team that didn't play that many games and don't have the injury prone label.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Where is Kurz getting this idea that Hertl wasn't great at center?

He does realize that the reason Hertl moved back to wing was because Couture came back, right?

Love Kurz throwing fire at the Canadiens though :laugh:

I am still not sure if what he said about none of the pickups coming back is something else he heard or just a assumption based on what Wilson DID say, when he said that all of them are going to go to free agency. I don't recall DW saying ANYWHERE that he had no interest in re-signing any of them, just that he wouldn't do it before they became FA's.

Now, did I miss something? Did Kurz actually get insider info? (HAH! As if) Or is this just reading more into DW's words than he actually said?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I am still not sure if what he said about none of the pickups coming back is something else he heard or just a assumption based on what Wilson DID say, when he said that all of them are going to go to free agency. I don't recall DW saying ANYWHERE that he had no interest in re-signing any of them, just that he wouldn't do it before they became FA's.

Now, did I miss something? Did Kurz actually get insider info? (HAH! As if) Or is this just reading more into DW's words than he actually said?

Paul Tackle said that everything he's heard out of the Sharks is they won't bring them back.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Looks as if Hertl will hit the 7-year rule for UFA one year before the age limit. If Hertl's knee becomes a non-issue, this one is likely to bite DW in the butt.

Hertl's the future 1st line center to replace Thornton, not Couture. Couture is very good, and probably the best 2-way forward on the team, but he doesn't have Hertl's size and physicality particularly on puck possession on behind the opponents net.

I've been near both in street clothes and he's does not appear to match the roster listed height and weight, but Hertl does appear so.

Of course, I was right next to 5 Blues players in street clothes a couple of seasons back, and all of them did not appear to match their roster height and weight. There's has to be some gamemanship in NHL rosters.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I've been near both in street clothes and he's does not appear to match the roster listed height and weight, but Hertl does appear so.

Of course, I was right next to 5 Blues players in street clothes a couple of seasons back, and all of them did not appear to match their roster height and weight. There's has to be some gamemanship in NHL rosters.

My drivers license says 5'10", I think I'm closer to 5'11". I remember standing with Burns, Martin, and Mike Brown at fanfest. Now it's possible I've grown since high school but I was taller than Mike Brown by a bunch, listed 5'11", about comparable to Paul Martin, listed 6′1″, but absolutely dwarfed by Burnzie, listed at a very accurate 6′5″. I think there is a tendency for shorter players to round up and fluff their height.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Looks as if Hertl will hit the 7-year rule for UFA one year before the age limit. If Hertl's knee becomes a non-issue, this one is likely to bite DW in the butt.

Hertl's the future 1st line center to replace Thornton, not Couture. Couture is very good, and probably the best 2-way forward on the team, but he doesn't have Hertl's size and physicality particularly on puck possession on behind the opponents net.

How does this bite DW in the butt exactly?

rgb63

Jan 29, 2009
My drivers license says 5'10", I think I'm closer to 5'11". I remember standing with Burns, Martin, and Mike Brown at fanfest. Now it's possible I've grown since high school but I was taller than Mike Brown by a bunch, listed 5'11", about comparable to Paul Martin, listed 6′1″, but absolutely dwarfed by Burnzie, listed at a very accurate 6′5″. I think there is a tendency for shorter players to round up and fluff their height.

Burns is freakishly tall. I ran into his dad on a flight to Toronto shortly after game 6 and he's like 5'8" 140 pounds. That might be being generous too.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Boyle was tiny. I'm 5'6" and I wasn't even that much shorter than him.

The two hockey players I've met and actually seemed their listed height were Joe Thornton and Brent Burns. I guess because they have no reason to exaggerate their height. :laugh:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I've seen Stalock listed at 5'11", 6'0", and 6'1".

I saw him in person when I was 5'10.5", and we were VERY close in height.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I hope he doesn't go to Vegas. I don't know how the expansion draft works but he's our next Pavelski.

There is no chance whatsoever of DW not protecting Hertl in the expansion draft. None. Zero. That's not even worth worrying about in the slightest. Hertl will be here for a very long time. We are no more likely to lose Hertl to Vegas than we are to lose Couture, Pavelski, etc.

The most likely pick from us would probably be Martin or Dillon. Maybe Nieto if he is left exposed. Or maybe even Schlemko.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Boyle was tiny. I'm 5'6" and I wasn't even that much shorter than him.

The two hockey players I've met and actually seemed their listed height were Joe Thornton and Brent Burns. I guess because they have no reason to exaggerate their height. :laugh:

I stood next to Mike Rathje once, he also did not lie about his height.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
There is no chance whatsoever of DW not protecting Hertl in the expansion draft. None. Zero. That's not even worth worrying about in the slightest. Hertl will be here for a very long time. We are no more likely to lose Hertl to Vegas than we are to lose Couture, Pavelski, etc.

The most likely pick from us would probably be Martin or Dillon. Maybe Nieto if he is left exposed. Or maybe even Schlemko.

Good to know. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad