Confirmed with Link: Hertl signs 2 years 6 million ($3m AAV)

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I was kinda hoping for a longer term to lock in some prime years at a discount, but this is a very solid bridge; Hertl is already worth more than $3M/Y IMO

DW keeps the hot streak rolling

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Hertl doesn't pk. Doesn't play a ton of minutes. 2nd power play. Isn't out in crunch time usually.

Hasn't broken 50 points.

His most impressive stint was when couture was out.

3 mill makes sense.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Lol, even in Hertl threads Couture gets no rispek

Logan was our 2C in his second season; as much as I love Tomas, Couture was more proven by the time his bridge rolled around

Spoiler: Logan's contract was really good too

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Very happy about this. This is a great deal for both sides. I like it because its not like we offered him $3M for 5 years or something we gave him $3M for 2 years to prove he can be consistent throughout the whole year which he struggled with at the beginning of the season but picked it up big time once he started playing with the Joes and getting his confidence back. I expected him to get around $4 though but this is fair.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Hertl is also now considered an injury risk also. He has now had 2 injuries to the same knee if i remember this playoffs injury right.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
For people saying couture had proven less when he signed his bridge contract, can i ask how he did? Couture signed his going into the 2012-13 season. After posting a 56 and 65 and 9 point seasons. While also posting 68 goals combined those 3 seasons. Back to back 30 goal seasons.

And couture also signed for less. So in my opinion hertl owes wilson for being so kind in the negotiations.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
For people saying couture had proven less when he signed his bridge contract, can i ask how he did? Couture signed his going into the 2012-13 season. After posting a 56 and 65 and 9 point seasons. While also posting 68 goals combined those 3 seasons. Back to back 30 goal seasons.

Yah. I don't get that either. Couture had shown a lot more than Hertl has. But keeping in mind how the cap has gone up since then, Hertl is still a good deal.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Lol, even in Hertl threads Couture gets no rispek

Logan was our 2C in his second season; as much as I love Tomas Couture was more proven by the time his bridge rolled around

He showed greater upside perhaps but certainly was not more proven. It was his first full season and he elevated when the team realized it could run Pavelski as 3C. That's not because Pavelski was worse but because he was better and could carry a line. Couture had to have Clowe watching his back to make sure he didn't get abused.

Hertl doesn't play on PP1 only because it is an established unit, he is absolutely good enough to play on PP1 and is the best player on PP2. Logan was PP2 at the time of his bridge deal signing.

Hertl is our best player at his position. Also, this IS 5 years later.

It's a little tricky to make the comparison also because of where the team was in general in 2010-2011 vs now.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

And couture also signed for less. So in my opinion hertl owes wilson for being so kind in the negotiations.

Couture signed it before the 2011 season. https://www.nhl.com/news/sharks-sign-couture-to-2-year-5-75-m-extension/c-587411

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
He showed greater upside perhaps but certainly was not more proven. It was his first full season and he elevated when the team realized it could run Pavelski as 3C. That's not because Pavelski was worse but because he was better and could carry a line. Couture had to have Clowe watching his back to make sure he didn't get abused.

Hertl doesn't play on PP1 only because it is an established unit, he is absolutely good enough to play on PP1 and is the best player on PP2. Logan was PP2 at the time of his bridge deal signing.

It's a little tricky to make the comparison also because of where the team was in general in 2010-2011 vs now.

Couture signed his bridge contract after the 2011-12 season. Even if he signed during the season couture had already shown he was a 50 point player and a 30 goal scorer.

Both of those things hertl hasn't shown yet.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think it is safe to say that both the Hertl and Couture bridge contracts were/are steals. I do think that Couture had shown more at the time and his contract was more of a steal than Hertl.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Still a 30 goal scorer. Is hertl a 30 goal scorer? No he is not. Hertl has shown lots but not even close to what couture did.

Sure that's a valid statistical marker. Couture certainly showed great promise but it was his freshman season. Couture didn't show he can take on top comp and possess the puck almost as well as Thornton. I mean it is what it is, the team in 2010 was an offensive juggernaut. Couture hasn't been hitting 30 for years but he's a better player now than he was.

Hertl has been on the team 3 whole years now and has dealt with a major injury in the middle of that, and now looks better than ever.

The deal is certainly within the realm of fair, but IMO on the low end of the range, and given what Tomas has put in so far, yeah I feel for him a little bit. In more favorable circumstances he could have shown a lot more at this point in his career.

And again, logan's deal was 5 years ago.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I love this deal and I love you all.
And I'm sure Hertl loves Jumbo so much that he would take an undervalued contract so the future HOFer could get him the puck.

20131127_113656_ssjm1128sharks08_400.jpg

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
Sooooo happy to see this deal finalized. Fun must be for at least two more years!

Looking forward to watching him earn that next big contract!!

:yo::yo:

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

Cap has only gone up a little since Couture signed his bridge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad