Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
20220721_145609.jpg

Reactions: usiel

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I was really hoping the four games lost would be against the Phantoms & Pens. So tired of seeing them 26 times every season.
I know AHL scheduling is a completely different beast than the NHL and travel budgets are lower but it'd be nice to see one or two central teams each year. As recently as four/five years ago they played Rockford, Milwaukee and Grand Rapids. These were one off occureces but I remember them playing Chicago, Houston, and San Antonio at Giant Center once each during my original run as a sth (05-09). Even the original Manitoba Moose used to always play Hershey a few times a year. Given the slashed schedule I'd imagine this is unlikely to happen.

But yeah, I usually only go to one or two LV/WBS games a year with the 12 game package. Just boring seeing them that much. They're not even particularly intense games like they used to be 15+ years ago either. I'd rather see a team like Rochester or Utica come to Giant Center a second time in a season.

Reactions: swansonsays

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Not a lot of weekends that don't match up with my NAHL team weekends. Hopefully I can still make a few games though.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Been a long while since I've gone up to take in a Hershey game. Would love to this season just real tough going to any mass gathering even because helping taking care of my 87 years old dad, who is vulnerable to covid, is a zero sum game.

Also thanks again for the Hershey folks here who post the info and opinions always welcome.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately we got rid of our tickets. Our family has had them for over 15 years I believe. It’s just gotten to be too much with how hectic our lives are, especially with the wife and I expecting soon! Still going to make games here and there when we can to see some of these young guys play. Should be an exciting couple of years as these draft picks slowly trickle in to chocolate town

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Unfortunately we got rid of our tickets. Our family has had them for over 15 years I believe. It’s just gotten to be too much with how hectic our lives are, especially with the wife and I expecting soon! Still going to make games here and there when we can to see some of these young guys play. Should be an exciting couple of years as these draft picks slowly trickle in to chocolate town
I've never had seasons but I generally tried to hit 10-15 games a year. My NAHL team has kind of taken the focus cause they're really good, a lot closer and the season tickets are cheap. This year the way the weekends line up I'm probably only going to make 3-5 at most in Hershey. Excited to see the goaltending this year. I hope Clay Stevenson takes the backup job and I can schedule a game to see him play. Also excited to see how fast Lappy can adjust to the AHLs physicality.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com

Congrats!

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
In terms of Caps picks, do we have a rough idea of who may have a chance to play in the odd, upcoming WJC?
Magnusson for Sweden made the team, 2020 7th rounder.

Ryan Chesley and Brent Johnson were among the 60 players invited to USA hockey national evalution camp where they will select players to WJC's in August and December. Chesley was a recent 2nd rounder and Johnson 3rd rounder in 2021.

Hendrix Lapierre (2020 1st rounder) has good chance to make the team if many players decline to participate for Canada. He was one of the last cuts in December. Vincent Iorio (2021 2nd rounder) is unlikely to make the team but there is a chance.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Magnusson for Sweden made the team, 2020 7th rounder.

Ryan Chesley and Brent Johnson were among the 60 players invited to USA hockey national evalution camp where they will select players to WJC's in August and December. Chesley was a recent 2nd rounder and Johnson 3rd rounder in 2021.

Hendrix Lapierre (2020 1st rounder) has good chance to make the team if many players decline to participate for Canada. He was one of the last cuts in December. Vincent Iorio (2021 2nd rounder) is unlikely to make the team but there is a chance.
Magnusson is an interesting case. He's continuously represented Sweden at every level since U16 but he dropped down a league last year and it's been hard to track progress. Making the WJC roster is encouraging but I honestly have no idea what to expect from him.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Congratulations on your impending arrival — nothing like it in the world!!

Reactions: hb12xchamps

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone!

Back to hockey now. Scott Allen promoted to Washington and Steve Bergin resigned from his position as assistant coach. That leaves Patrick Wellar as the only coach currently on staff. No clue where they go to hire Hershey’s next HC, but hope it isn’t Wellar.

Bear are currently searching for a head coach, assistant coach that handles the forwards, a video coach and a goaltending coach. That’s a lot of staff to hire this late in the hiring cycle.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Few names I thought of

Louis Robitaille - obvious connections to the organization and has done a great job at the junior level

Jeff Halpern - could they convince him to become a head coach in the AHL? Adds to his resume but he probably wouldn’t be able to get out of his contract.

Joel Ward - served as an assistant coach for Las Vegas’ affiliate at the AHL level. Is he ready to make the step?

I’m sure there are a few ECHL guys out there. I’ve heard Brad Ralph’s name before. He’s been in Florida with the Everblades for quite awhile and they always are competitive.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Few names I thought of

Louis Robitaille - obvious connections to the organization and has done a great job at the junior level

Jeff Halpern - could they convince him to become a head coach in the AHL? Adds to his resume but he probably wouldn’t be able to get out of his contract.

Joel Ward - served as an assistant coach for Las Vegas’ affiliate at the AHL level. Is he ready to make the step?

I’m sure there are a few ECHL guys out there. I’ve heard Brad Ralph’s name before. He’s been in Florida with the Everblades for quite awhile and they always are competitive.
I've thought Robitaille to Hershey has made sense for a few years now for the exact reasons you listed. Plus, if he succeeds, it would give the Caps a coach prospect to make the jump to the NHL when they're done with Lavi.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Robitaille does make a lot of sense if he wants to make the jump. I'd wondered about some options with Lavi ties for the NHL assistant spot and they could make sense at the AHL level as well: Laperriere, Cronin and Muse. Todd Nelson hasn't joined another organization yet IINM and there are others in similar boats that were part of NHL staffs that were let go over the past few months and have yet to find new gigs.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Robitaille does make a lot of sense if he wants to make the jump. I'd wondered about some options with Lavi ties for the NHL assistant spot and they could make sense at the AHL level as well: Laperriere, Cronin and Muse. Todd Nelson hasn't joined another organization yet IINM and there are others in similar boats that were part of NHL staffs that were let go over the past few months and have yet to find new gigs.
Speaking as a Flyers fan as well: you absolutely do not want Ian Laperriere playing any meaningful role in your organization. The man took a puck to the face in the 2010 playoffs and has seemingly found employment for life. He coached a consistently garbage PK for years, then instead of getting fired, was kicked upstairs as an off ice coach for a few years before getting to lead the Phantoms to the AHL basement.

At the very least, I definitely don't want him in Hershey, lol.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks everyone!

Back to hockey now. Scott Allen promoted to Washington and Steve Bergin resigned from his position as assistant coach. That leaves Patrick Wellar as the only coach currently on staff. No clue where they go to hire Hershey’s next HC, but hope it isn’t Wellar.

Bear are currently searching for a head coach, assistant coach that handles the forwards, a video coach and a goaltending coach. That’s a lot of staff to hire this late in the hiring cycle.
I hope the next Hershey goalie coach is better than Scott Murray, as to prove a point in how stupid it was to let Alex Westlund become the Wings goalie coach. Newly addition goalie Clay Stevenson is gonna need a good goalie coach if he's to be a diamond in rough goalie prospect for the Caps.

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Regarding goalies, how do you all think it will go this season? Will Fucale get the most starts, follow by Stevenson and some games from Hunter? I'd be intrigued if a good goalie coach is hired that can get Fucale to the next level to be an NHL backup and also make Stevenson a steal(never being drafted).

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
20220726_192004.jpg

I think every coach on this list has some sort of Hershey/Washington tie. I'm pretty sure that even Ralph played a handful of games with the Bears on a tryout like 15 years ago, lol.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I don’t think the Hershey tie in really matters that much. I’d rather they hire the best available coach to guide the team to a playoff berth, while also helping develop Washington’s prospects to make the step to the next level.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
View attachment 572790
I think every coach on this list has some sort of Hershey/Washington tie. I'm pretty sure that even Ralph played a handful of games with the Bears on a tryout like 15 years ago, lol.
I thought this list from NovaCaps was a good one. I think Knuble is an interesting choice but I think it would only be a for a year or two before he moved to NHL as an assistant.

Curious why there isn’t love for Weller? I don’t know have any knowledge about him, but it does seem like Caps try to grow their coaches from within. Sometimes others beat us to a promotion like with Carbs and Westlund. Seems like promoting Weller (consistency) and brining in Hartley would be an interesting move.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I thought this list from NovaCaps was a good one. I think Knuble is an interesting choice but I think it would only be a for a year or two before he moved to NHL as an assistant.

Curious why there isn’t love for Weller? I don’t know have any knowledge about him, but it does seem like Caps try to grow their coaches from within. Sometimes others beat us to a promotion like with Carbs and Westlund. Seems like promoting Weller (consistency) and brining in Hartley would be an interesting move.
I don’t think the list is bad. I just think that a prior Hershey/Washington connection isn’t exactly needed IMO. Just hire the best candidate. Carbery never played for Hershey. He played a year and a half for SC and eventually was their coach for a few years but he also left SC to pursue other opportunities prior to joining the Bears. Bruce was another coach who didn’t have a connection to Hershey when he was hired.

Wellar has never been a head coach at any level. I would just find it hard to elevate him to the HC of the most prestigious AHL club without any HC experience. It would be a lot of pressure, especially since he has played in Hershey on some of their best teams of all time. The die hards and STHs in Hershey can turn on a coach very quickly if they have a bad year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille