Hershey (AHL) and South Carolina (ECHL) 2014-15 Season

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Last week, Hershey signed Joe Diamond from Bridgeport. Most likely will be a depth call up guy.

Longtime Bear and the last player from the recent Calder Cup teams to still be in Hershey, Patrick Wellar signed as a player/assistant coach by the ECHL Utah Grizzlies. Noted that he managed the D pairs for Hershey in a game this season when Haviland was unexpectedly sick.

Mara

May 10, 2011
It is my understanding that Nicolas Deschamps played in this organization last season. What are your opinions on him? What are his biggest weaknesses? He signed in Finland for this season and so far has been a disappointment. After his first six "real" games it seems like his puck handling is below average and he is lacking in vision, not exactly a good sign for a player who is supposed to produce. What I want to know is if he showed similar signs here, or if it might be an adjustment issue with the bigger ice, different system and bad shape due to early season start.

Oh, and do you think he might have issues with confidence?

Thanks!

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
It is my understanding that Nicolas Deschamps played in this organization last season. What are your opinions on him? What are his biggest weaknesses? He signed in Finland for this season and so far has been a disappointment. After his first six "real" games it seems like his puck handling is below average and he is lacking in vision, not exactly a good sign for a player who is supposed to produce. What I want to know is if he showed similar signs here, or if it might be an adjustment issue with the bigger ice, different system and bad shape due to early season start.

Oh, and do you think he might have issues with confidence?

Thanks!

I've got season tickets in Hershey. To me, Nicky shows flashes, but that's it. He'll play great for a week or two, then be virtually invisible for a month. The skill is there; he just shows very little ambition to utilize it consistently. JMO

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Deschamps is a bit of a "waterbug"-type guy at his best. He can be high energy and contribute offensively, but he's not a natural playmaker or an especially creative player. I'm not sure how his game will translate to a bigger ice surface, as he tends to be a bit more of a north-south player than a guy who can slow the pace and stretch the ice east-west.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
That goal was extremely nice. I hope Stan builds enough confidence to start doing this kind of stuff regularly and gets some top 6 minutes. He has really fallen out of flavor in the organization and it has been a tough few years for the kid who once was thought to make the Caps roster after his junior season.

On a side note, the Phantoms new arena looks top of the line from the pictures and stories I have seen. Really excited to make a trip up this year to watch a game. Hopefully Hershey upgrades their scoreboard to one with the huge screen.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Stan Galiev has been very impressive this preseason. He should get top 6 minutes in Hershey and if his preseason indicates how he season goes, he's in for a big year. That added muscle and a little confidence have gone a long way for him.

I also see Joel Broda making the team. He was quietly impressive this preseason and will be a nice bottom 6 guy. Hoping to add Liam O'Brien to the roster as a bottom 6 player for Hershey and Troy Mann likes him.

Tonights game featured a lot of fights and over 200 PIMS. Byers was jumped by a small WBS player who had to jump to grab Byers neck from behind and wasn't happy. The WBS player (McGrath) got 29 PIM from the play (2 for instigator, 2 roughing, 5 fighting, misconduct, game misconduct). Should be a very eventful season opener for Hershey on the 25th.

Burakovsky95*

Stan Galiev has been very impressive this preseason. He should get top 6 minutes in Hershey and if his preseason indicates how he season goes, he's in for a big year. That added muscle and a little confidence have gone a long way for him.

I also see Joel Broda making the team. He was quietly impressive this preseason and will be a nice bottom 6 guy. Hoping to add Liam O'Brien to the roster as a bottom 6 player for Hershey and Troy Mann likes him.

Tonights game featured a lot of fights and over 200 PIMS. Byers was jumped by a small WBS player who had to jump to grab Byers neck from behind and wasn't happy. The WBS player (McGrath) got 29 PIM from the play (2 for instigator, 2 roughing, 5 fighting, misconduct, game misconduct). Should be a very eventful season opener for Hershey on the 25th.

I was following Stuccio's tweets and that 2nd period looked like it lasted about an hour by itself lol

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Going up to Allentown tomorrow to catch the Phantoms Bears game. Excited to see how nice this stadium supposedly is. Should be a good game and I'm expecting at least one bout for Wilson in his debut.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
Going up to Allentown tomorrow to catch the Phantoms Bears game. Excited to see how nice this stadium supposedly is. Should be a good game and I'm expecting at least one bout for Wilson in his debut.

I'm hoping Caps management told Wilson to not fight. He's proven himself against guys in the NHL, no need to fight down there. Focus on playing the game.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I'm hoping Caps management told Wilson to not fight. He's proven himself against guys in the NHL, no need to fight down there. Focus on playing the game.

Supposedly the plan is for him to play about 8 top-line minutes. No idea how they plan to make that happen, but I can't see him fighting in what amounts to a rehab stint.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Can't pull it off tonight, but definitely making the trip up there this year. Let us know how it goes!

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

We'll see how that goes. There's always bad blood between the Bears and Phantoms dating back quite some time. I'm sure there will be a few bouts and wouldn't be surprised if he gets into one since guys on the Phantoms are going to know who he is.

Burakovsky95*

Hershey dominated the first. Wilson looks fast, had one hit that I can remember and did some good work on the forecheck. He also got some time on their 2nd PP unit.

Hershey up 1-0 after Newbury put a backhand in, in front of the net from Wellman. Grubauer looks solid. Gazley should have had a penalty shot but they gave a power play instead for some odd reason.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Wellman from Kundratek and Carrick, 2-1 Hershey. I picked the game up with 12-13 left in the second and haven't heard Wilson's name once or noticed him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad