Heroes of the Storm

Ser Jorah Mormont

Lord Friendzone
Sep 3, 2013
Down Under
HotS is pretty terrible when you've played Dota 1 and 2 for years. Way too casual. No item builds and such just makes it not interesting in the slightest.

Edit: The only reason I play it is for the card back in Hearthstone.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
HotS is pretty terrible when you've played Dota 1 and 2 for years. Way too casual. No item builds and such just makes it not interesting in the slightest.

I think the bold is a + for a lot of people. Not everything needs to be hardcore :laugh:

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland

Dota is a casual mode that was made for people who coulnd control hero+army in WC3. ;)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I play this way more than I thought I would. I don't find much joy in MOBAs. However, the learning curve is less steep for Hots than it is for DotA and LoL, and the community is (slightly) less toxic. That's not to say you won't run into plenty of jerks while playing public matches.

I just hit level 30, but I don't own 10 heroes yet so I can't play Hero League. My favorites characters so far are Zagara, Li Li, Uther, Sgt. Hammer, and Nova. I tend to suck with melee characters. I'm okay with Muradin, but that's about it. I want to be good with Zeratul and/or Illidan, but I just end up dying constantly.

Dota is a casual mode that was made for people who couldn't control hero+army in WC3. ;)

:handclap:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I should mention I also have a Vent server if people are interested in playing, I'm typically on pretty late like 1AM EST and later

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
Jagr#1123 if anyone wants to play. I'm level 21 not the best player but I think I'm catching on. Liking Sylvanas lately.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
You guys play Kael'thas yet? Is he cool?

So far my favourites are Uther and Rehgar. HM to Tassadar.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
You guys play Kael'thas yet? Is he cool?

So far my favourites are Uther and Rehgar. HM to Tassadar.

He's the purest glass cannon in the game. He blow up enemies pretty solidly but if you get caught, you're dead. Play him cautiously enough and you should wrack up the kills. I've seen pyroblast one-shot Vallas late game.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Grinding out gold so I can play in Hero League sucks. I'm committed to this game being F2P, but I need to get three more heroes to be eligible, and even then I'll feel guilty having such a limited range of options.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
can we get 5 people together to do the Team Builder thing on Facebook, that gives you the Mechanospider mount. it looks badass XD

EDIT: also add me if you want. I pretty much only play against AI at the moment cause im not that great

SeidoN#2922 (play on EU)

Last edited:

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
New map and hero to debut at the end of the month.

Eternal Conflict. D3 themed map.

New hero will be the Butcher, from D3. He's a melee assassin that gets stronger the more "meat" he consumes off enemy minions and heroes. He's expected to be a hard counter to Illidan.

Some brief footage. Expected to go on PTR on the 23rd and be out on the 30th.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Honestly Dota is crap in comparison. An extremely unpolished turd that stays relevant because it was the first serious game in the genre. HotS managed to do something no other MOBA has managed to do and that's make objectives matter at all skill levels/stages of the game. The snowball effect is a lot less worse. If you go 5-0 in DOTA you can literally buy items that make you immune to damage and able to 1v5 the opposing team. In league if you go 5-0 the exp difference alone will make your lane opponent unable to stay in lane against you without dying and likely make it so ganks are ineffective on you.

You can come back from most situations in HotS and your positioning/objective control are relevant at all stages of the game. You can get caught out no matter how far ahead you are, unlike in League/DOTA where if you're fed and get caught you just kill the entire enemy team by yourself or at least trade 1 for 1 in a 1v5. I've played League/HotS at a high level and played Dota1 to a reasonable level and a bit of Dota2. HotS has the worst matchmaking but feels like the best MOBA at capturing what MOBA's were supposed to be. Way more team focused which was supposed to be the point of a 5v5 map to begin with. Last hitting is an unnecessary relic that only separates those from good ping from those with bad. Same goes for denying. While DOTA has a nice item system, the talent system is great. As HotS evolves and moves away from generic talents like deal X% damage per hit or blink or reduce CDs on hit it's going to become a lot more diverse than any item based game.

The main thing holding HotS back now is everything is ridiculously overpriced and the hero pool is incredibly small. I got to Master MMR then quit for a few months because every single game it was Stitches/ETC first pick then Valla on one team Nazeebo on the other. Even after the nerfs it was just Stitches/ETC replaced by flavour of the month tank. Similar problems with the support role where only 4 were even picked and only 7 are in the game. One being used as a vision bot/secondary damage source more than a support. That and too many Warcraft heroes. Warcraft is the worst Blizzard IP.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I think it should be noted that part of the draw of HotS is the very fact that it's much more casual than DotA. I've played DotA, but it requires a level of time investment to be even halfway bad at (instead of dreadful, like me) that I'm not interested in committing.

I enjoy HotS after casual LoL went a little stale for me...plus Blizzard characters are way more interesting.

I really do dislike how expensive the micro transactions are, though. Also, while I actually enjoy talent build over the item builds, I feel like it needs a bit more depth to it.

The main thing holding HotS back now is everything is ridiculously overpriced and the hero pool is incredibly small. I got to Master MMR then quit for a few months because every single game it was Stitches/ETC first pick then Valla on one team Nazeebo on the other. Even after the nerfs it was just Stitches/ETC replaced by flavour of the month tank. Similar problems with the support role where only 4 were even picked and only 7 are in the game. One being used as a vision bot/secondary damage source more than a support. That and too many Warcraft heroes. Warcraft is the worst Blizzard IP.

Warcraft....worst....what?

My younger self just threw a tantrum at those words. :laugh:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Warcraft was indisputably the worst IP until World of Warcraft came out in terms of quality and sales. They moved it out of the RTS genre because all three WC games combined sold less than Starcraft or Brood War individually. You know it's bad when in the same genre your expansion that needs the base game is outselling an entire franchise that you've released 3 games and 2 expansions for. Diablo 1/2 were also much more successful than any Warcraft game before WoW. Even the writing in WC1-2-3 is just generic LOTR copycat garbage.

They really lucked out that WoW ended up becoming the first mainstream MMO and they made the lore a lot more fleshed out.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Uh..okay. You might be right about sales, not sure.

Me personally, I enjoyed Warcraft far more than Diablo or Starcraft. And I enjoy Starcraft, to be clear. Diablo - not so much, personally.

Writing is LOTR copycat garbage? Seriously? The writing was great.

If we're calling Warcraft LOTR copycat garbage, we have to call Starcraft Warhammer copycat garbage. :laugh:

Anyway, the reason why there are so many Warcraft Heroes is:

a) Because of the popularity of the franchise NOW, regardless of the past

and

b) Because there are a ton to pick from

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad