Pre-Game Talk: Heritage Classic weekend all-purpose thread

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Guys, park at Pembina Village by Part Source for free and walk down Markham. Easier to get out too and only a 10 minute walk.

Is there lots of parking there? Is it easy to get out northbound and southbound?

Last edited:

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
What an awesome time. View from 200's is fantastic and my seats are virtually in the same location as MTSC - Jets attack zone for 2 periods right in the Laine zone.:) Only difference is upper deck rather than lower bowl.

Got a nice photo with Chevy and had a short chat with Elliot and Kypreos outside the media centre.

What a freakin parking nightmare. Our vehicle did not even move 1cm from our parking spot for 40 minutes after the game. If that is what the $25.00 parking looks like I would hate to see the $10 parking.:shakehead

A good reminder of why I don't go to Bomber games anymore. I know many posters had vouched that the parking issues were solved but they appear not to be.

Can't wait to do it all again today without the parking issues.

The Bomber games aren't much of an issue any more because Bomber fans have figured out what works best for them (alternate parking spots, bus, park and ride, etc). It is these one off events where it is an issue because you have a lot more people parking at the actual stadium.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The Bomber games aren't much of an issue any more because Bomber fans have figured out what works best for them (alternate parking spots, bus, park and ride, etc). It is these one off events where it is an issue because you have a lot more people parking at the actual stadium.

Yup, and everything was 10 times more crowded compared to Bomber games, washrooms, beer lines, bus lines, it was all a lot slower yesterday no doubt.

eepruls

Jan 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I bike and the bike valet is awesome. If I didn't bike, I'd park and ride (which I did to Paul McCartney). I don't understand why anyone would want to drive there.

Toomuts

Jun 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Parked at IGF for both days and had no issue entering or leaving the event, even made it home faster than I normally do for bombers games.

Next year when the rapid transit corridor is complete on the north end of the stadium driving will be even better

Last edited:

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Parked at IGF for both days and had no issue entering or leaving the event, even made it home faster than I normally do for bombers games.

Next year when the rapid transit corridor is complete on the north end of the stadium driving will be even better
Next year??This is Winnipeg, the bus lane will be ready in minimum 5 years..and have they even thought it out for parking for park and rides?

USApegger

Jun 30, 2011
Winnipeg

The lots on Chancellor Matheson are terrible to leave from because of the buses, next year should be way better. We also use the Univ Cres lots and it takes less than two minutes from there to be on Pembina, even after yesterdays game

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I'm not sure where it was discussed (probably this thread?) but did anyone like the 'retro' jerseys worn in the heritage game? I like it better than the 'Jets 2.0' jerseys (what should I call them?). I always thought those jerseys were better.

I think I read here or another section of the Jets forum, that the ownership didn't want to have much to do with the 'old Jets / Jets 1.0.' They made it a specific purpose to not talk about them too much (i.e. the past) and wanted the new franchise to be unique or 'their own.' They didn't even want to call the franchise, 'Jets' but the fans wanted it to such an extent they had to. You know what I mean?

At least, the Oilers and Flames (sometimes) wear their 'classic' jerseys. Now, someone has to convince the 'Nucks to go back to the 'skate' ones. :)

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I'm not sure where it was discussed (probably this thread?) but did anyone like the 'retro' jerseys worn in the heritage game? I like it better than the 'Jets 2.0' jerseys (what should I call them?). I always thought those jerseys were better.

I think I read here or another section of the Jets forum, that the ownership didn't want to have much to do with the 'old Jets / Jets 1.0.' They made it a specific purpose to not talk about them too much (i.e. the past) and wanted the new franchise to be unique or 'their own.' They didn't even want to call the franchise, 'Jets' but the fans wanted it to such an extent they had to. You know what I mean?

At least, the Oilers and Flames (sometimes) wear their 'classic' jerseys. Now, someone has to convince the 'Nucks to go back to the 'skate' ones. :)

They wanted to give themselves time to establish their own brand in Winnipeg, not just parrot off the old one.

Now that they've done that, they are starting to embrace Winnipeg Hockey History.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
All my friends who came in from out of town, and all the people I spoke to from Edmonton, Toronto, Texas etc gave Winnipeg rave reviews.

They had plenty of fun in the city and at the games, perfect weather (kinda) and great people.

Great event. :handclap:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Very much felt like the first couple games at IGF on the concourse.

The concourse seemed ridiculously narrow, even by Winnipeg standards. The end zones were human gridlock and it wasn't too much better on the sides. I've been to a handful of Bomber games and a Women's World Cup soccer game at IGF and I've never seen it like that. Seems like the stadium's not prepared at all for a capacity crowd. I also noticed that there's no service hall behind the concessions, so staff are rolling beer kegs and food and drink around on hand trucks and flatbed carts through the main concourse. It's nuts.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The concourse seemed ridiculously narrow, even by Winnipeg standards. The end zones were human gridlock and it wasn't too much better on the sides. I've been to a handful of Bomber games and a Women's World Cup soccer game at IGF and I've never seen it like that. Seems like the stadium's not prepared at all for a capacity crowd. I also noticed that there's no service hall behind the concessions, so staff are rolling beer kegs and food and drink around on hand trucks and flatbed carts through the main concourse. It's nuts.

That shocked me.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I thought i read somewhere that the IP from Jets 1.0 was part of the sale to Pheonix. That would include the team history, old logo for example. Did we buy it back or was that report BS?

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
If only they had built the stadium in an open field, so they could have expanded the concourse to a humane degree :sarcasm:

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
I thought i read somewhere that the IP from Jets 1.0 was part of the sale to Pheonix. That would include the team history, old logo for example. Did we buy it back or was that report BS?

IIRC the old logo was owned by the NHL after the sale of 1.0 to Phoenix and TNSE purchased its rights once the purchase of 2.0 was a done deal.

dcypher

Feb 7, 2013
My girlfriend HATED how the concourse was. I was there for the Jay-Z, Beyonce concert a couple of years ago, it wasn't bad then. So a part of me was thinking, okay maybe it's really a lot of people's first time at IGF and didn't know how to navigate the right way around.

Anyways...

In conclusion though, the weekend at the event was fantastic. I was so happy hockey is back in Winnipeg. Even though we lost on Sunday, a lot of people I know who decided or cheapened out to not go, now regret not going to the Heritage Classic. I mentioned Benny came back to my co-worker, he was like REALLY?

I fully believe it would of been a sell out crowd for both days if people didn't cheapen out because of the price. It was a once in a lifetime event. I really don't see it coming back until maybe 10 or 15 years tops?

I'm happy we can say.. yeah we were at the first one.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

I don't think thats it, it was supposed to be a 360 photo online where you could zoom in on yourself and everyone in the stadium up close as well as tag yourself in it on facebook.

Yup, I remember them saying you could tag yourself in it. Wasn't sure if it's NHL or Jets Facebook but I checked both and couldn't find it. Really cool link though, I'm kind of tempted to buy one of those!

MrGrinch

Jul 27, 2011
They said something about some 360 photo. Is that posted anywhere yet? I can't remember where they said it would be.

The url they said was something like nhl.com/360 but the link doesn't work. Was actually going to come here and ask the same thing.

I don't think the picture will be nearly as good and 360 as they were hoping coming from the practice ice. They originally announced the picture would be taken during the 2nd intermission, which was probably going to be from center ice. But with the later start time and poorer light conditions I think they had to take it during play and from a different location than planned.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
The url they said was something like nhl.com/360 but the link doesn't work. Was actually going to come here and ask the same thing.

I don't think the picture will be nearly as good and 360 as they were hoping coming from the practice ice. They originally announced the picture would be taken during the 2nd intermission, which was probably going to be from center ice. But with the later start time and poorer light conditions I think they had to take it during play and from a different location than planned.

That makes sense. I would honestly like to know who decided 2pm start time. You can't rely on it to stay cloudy the whole time :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad