Here's a good one- Does Sergei Bobrovsky get into the Hall of Fame?

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
2 Vezina Trophies
2 NHL First All Star
World Championship Gold Medal
World Championship Best Goaltender
Won the Columbus Blue Jackets their first ever series with a dominant sweep over Presidents Trophy winning Tampa Bay Lightning

He is currently 34 and just took the Panthers to game 6 against the record setting Bruins. But for years now has been severely overpaid and barely considered a starter.

Does he get into the Hall?

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I think he is very well on track to be. If Luongo made it with no Vezina, I think Bob does too. Luongo did have much more wins though.

A lot clown him, but when he was in his prime, he was Hasek like.

I’d have to think he makes the HOF.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
I will say no, because he has no consistent level of track record, year in and year out, to be considered one of the elite goaltenders of his generation.

It would be like asking if Taylor Hall should be in the Hall of Fame. The answer is clearly no, even with a Hart Trophy under his arm.

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
Is he the worst goalie to win 2 Vezinas? It's really hard to believe he has 2 when goalies who were elite for a long time like Lundqvist, Price, Rask, Hellebuyck and Vasilevsky each only have 1.

I'd imagine the HHOF looks at more context than just the awards won. He's been bad for awhile and his brief peak wasn't that dominant.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Goalies are weird (understatement of eternity) - if any skater wins 2 awards (Norris, Rocket, Selke) then they are basically a lock for the Hall. Hell, if I'm not mistaken I think Randy Carlyle is the only non active player eligible for the Hall of Fame with a Norris who isn't in the Hall. But for a goalie to make it in you really need either a Cup or an Olympic Gold in addition to the personal hardware. Now Bob never played for a contender and the second half of his prime coincided with no NHLers at the Olympics, but I just don't think he has enough to move the needle to make it into the hall. Unless he turns back time and has a stellar twilight season to end his career I just don't think he's Toronto bound

Edit - Random thought, and I'd have to look more closely at their career numbers, but a good comp may be Jose Theodore. Theodore also has 2 pieces of individual hardware (Hart and Vezina) albeit they came in the same year. No Cup, no Gold, no greater glory outside of the regular season. And not to distract from the thread, but when Theodore won both of these awards in 2002 he was still somehow only named a *second* All Star at end of season. I wonder how many times in history a Hart winner was only on the 2nd All Star team

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Goalies are weird (understatement of eternity) - if any skater wins 2 awards (Norris, Rocket, Selke) then they are basically a lock for the Hall. Hell, if I'm not mistaken I think Randy Carlyle is the only non active player eligible for the Hall of Fame with a Norris who isn't in the Hall. But for a goalie to make it in you really need either a Cup or an Olympic Gold in addition to the personal hardware. Now Bob never played for a contender and the second half of his prime coincided with no NHLers at the Olympics, but I just don't think he has enough to move the needle to make it into the hall. Unless he turns back time and has a stellar twilight season to end his career I just don't think he's Toronto bound

Edit - Random thought, and I'd have to look more closely at their career numbers, but a good comp may be Jose Theodore. Theodore also has 2 pieces of individual hardware (Hart and Vezina) albeit they came in the same year. No Cup, no Gold, no greater glory outside of the regular season. And not to distract from the thread, but when Theodore won both of these awards in 2002 he was still somehow only named a *second* All Star at end of season. I wonder how many times in history a Hart winner was only on the 2nd All Star team

Part of that is that there just isn't as much competition for a vezina. There are realistically what? 35-40 goalies who play enough each year to really warrant consideration? Even if every team in the NHL only played 6 total D all year, that's still 192 candidates for the Norris. I would argue winning a Norris is much harder to win.

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
Random thought, and I'd have to look more closely at their career numbers, but a good comp may be Jose Theodore. Theodore also has 2 pieces of individual hardware (Hart and Vezina) albeit they came in the same year. No Cup, no Gold, no greater glory outside of the regular season. And not to distract from the thread, but when Theodore won both of these awards in 2002 he was still somehow only named a *second* All Star at end of season. I wonder how many times in history a Hart winner was only on the 2nd All Star team

Yeah there are definitely similarities with Theodore but Bobrovsky has had considerably more long-term success than Jose. He does have 2 Vezinas gapped by a few years- and unlike Theodore who by this point in his career was done- Bob is still actually starting a fair chunk of games and doing alright.

EDIT- Just looked up Theodore and turns out he had a late career renaissance- so I would say a rather solid comparable afterall

Last edited:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I always assumed Tim Thomas was so damned unlikable and that was the only thing keeping an otherworldly talent like him out.
Pretty much. I think the voters just don’t like the person so they’re not letting him in as a player. I don’t know, you either have to vote strictly based on what they did on the ice or hold everyone to the same standard. We all know there are people in the Hall of Fame who are also first ballot in the POS hall.

Bobrovsky will be interesting. The first half of his career looks like a slam dunk but signing a huge deal and then apparently coasting from them on will leave a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths and sway recency bias depending on how the rest of his career goes.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Doubtful. He had a good peak, but it was so short and he's been a liability for a long time now.

For what it's worth... anyone who thinks Bob deserves in, by extension must also agree that Fleury goes in too, in my opinion.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
He has 7 great to decent regular season campaigns and pretty below average playoff performances so I think it all depends on him putting together a few decent playoff performances and a good deep run. The 2 vezinas count for something but he needs a better playoff resume or 400+ wins imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad