Here's a good one- Does Sergei Bobrovsky get into the Hall of Fame?

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
There is a major difference between one Vezina and two.

Right, but the guys I mentioned who only had one Vezina also had another year where they could have won another. Or were a 2nd team all-star or something.

Either way it doesn't matter, Bobrovsky could win the Conn Smythe trophy this year. That would make it a lot harder to keep him out of the Hall.

• Love
Reactions: Mike C

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
There is a major difference between one Vezina and two.

There is also a huge cap having vezina's or actually carrying your team to the cup in the playoffs.

I didn't follow playoffs closely in the Hasek days and I don't remember performance like this, but Bob is providing the kind of goalie performance you hope and dream your own teams goalie would do even in ONE or TWO games in the playoffs.

Reactions: The Colonel

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
I have to admit when I started this thread I didnt expect to be staring down a Stanley Cup Final with Bobrovsky quite possibly the Conn Smythe fave and able to potentially secure his place in the Hall of Fame.

But here we are.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Can anyone make the case Cheevers (A suspect induction) was better than Bob?

I think he has done enough to get enshrined.

Nice job by the Flyers letting him go btw. Yikes...
Cheevers isn't exactly the best goalie in the HHOF and if this is the "if he is in why isn't so and so in" argument maybe BOB isn't really deserving of making it?

Of course if he wins the Conn Smythe and has at least another good season or 2 in him that's what would help his case.

Cheevers also went in on a really weak year for players and the next year wasn't exactly an all time great year either so the competition will be harder for BOB.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He's been trending downwards the past few years but is nearing 400 wins and has two Vezinas. That's a HHOF resume to me. If he can somehow earn the Conn Smythe this year it's the cherry on top.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Cheevers isn't exactly the best goalie in the HHOF and if this is the "if he is in why isn't so and so in" argument maybe BOB isn't really deserving of making it?

Of course if he wins the Conn Smythe and has at least another good season or 2 in him that's what would help his case.

Cheevers also went in on a really weak year for players and the next year wasn't exactly an all time great year either so the competition will be harder for BOB.
If he wins the C.S. he is definitely getting in.

Reactions: The Colonel

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
Three goalies- Lundqvist, Barasso and Vernon got into the Hall of Fame today.

None of these goalies are clearly better than Bob.

He gets in IMO- especially after that cup run.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Got one foot in the door with his playoff run- then slammed the door on his foot mercilessly with the finals. Now he gotta limp in if he makes it at all.

Seriously though, I think people forget the first half of his career. Voters should be better but they’re missing Mogilny, so clearly they don’t give a f***.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He started declining too early and had almost no playoff success before this year. He's been a mediocre goalie for the better part of the last 4 years, but I'm sure someone will use this playoff run to counter that point.

If he won the cup this year though? That probably does it, especially with these recent additions. At this point I don't think there's any question Quick or Price are getting in and I thought that was a question before this, and Osgood is definitely getting in. He may just have to sit a little longer, since he's roughly 10 years younger/has been retired roughly 8-10 fewer years than those guys and has 2 cups as a starter just like them (Pietrangelo played a bit in the 91 playoffs though) and I'm starting to think Tim Thomas may eventually get in.

At this point, I'm half expecting Cam Ward and/or Bill Ranford to make it in during a weak-ish year. And if that happens then you have to put Giguere in as well, with his Conn Smythe and cup win (which weren't in the same year).

At this point I'm even wondering if Holtby (who didn't play at all past age 32 and is almost definitely never playing again, and was a pretty bad goalie before he turned 30) could eventually get in. He won a cup, won a Vezina and tied the most wins in a season.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lundqvist was significantly better than Bobrovsky.

I think the biggest difference is Bob started declining at a younger age than Lundqvist. Lundqvist was a consistently good goaltender for longer/older than Bobrovsky.

Lundqvist was probably not what Bob has been since about age 31 until he was about age 36 or so.

Lundqvist was still a pretty good, if not elite goalie until he was about 35 years old or so. Bob isn't even 35 yet and is not an elite/pretty good goalie anymore.

''But! But! But! Dat 2023 playoff run tho!''.

Lundqvist was also a better goalie when he entered the league than Bobrovsky was his first couple of years in the league, though I'm pretty sure Lundqvist debuted in the NHL when he was about 1.5 years older than Bobrovsky.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One thing I pointed out when the Panthers made the SCF with Bob as the starting goalie, he was the last elite goalie of his generation-ish that hadn't played in a cup finals and now he has. Price was the most recent before him 2 years ago.

Hellebuyck is the next on deck, though he's 5 years younger than Bob.

All of Lundqvist, Luongo, Fleury, Holtby, Rinne, Price and Bob have played in at least one cup finals. Some of those guys crossed through generations, as there's about a 10 year age range in those goalies I listed.

I think it's fair to say Ryan Miller is probably the best goalie from 2005-2015 to not play in at least one cup finals. Cory Schneider is up there too, but declined too early (so did some of these other guys) and started too late, due to having to sit behind a combination of Luongo and then an ancient Brodeur for too many years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad