Henrik Zetterberg Appreciation Thread

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
37 year old Zetterbeard has 22 more points than the #2 in Detroit.

Can he reach 70 points this season, with no real first-line linemates feeding him easy points?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
2 more points until he has 900 career pts!

I think he can hit 1000 if he plays 3 more seasons. Doing that in two seasons is a stretch, depending on how he ages. This season was clearly a surprise for everybody.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

I think he can hit 1000 if he plays 3 more seasons. Doing that in two seasons is a stretch, depending on how he ages. This season was clearly a surprise for everybody.

If Z is playing like this in two-three years that'll be insane. But I think he'll get a thousand in two. He'll get his 50 points. He'll get ~55 points this year and ~45 the next if I was guessing. And you know if he's ten points away with ten games left he'll start hunting for points more.

Last edited:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

A stretch for 2 seasons? I don't see how... 50 points a year is hardly a stretch especially if Mantha progresses.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
We'll hes generally been injured a lot over his career. Hardly has ever played 82 games.

He's been healthy these last two seasons but I'm not sure that will last, especially as he gets older. Factor that into just general decline with age, and I think 3 seasons is more likely. Hope he does it in two though.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
An improved powerplay could wash out any age related decline in production these next few seasons. If he's healthy, 50-60 pts a season wouldn't surprise me.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's extra impressive he's doing this without Datsyuk on the team. Everyone can key on Zetterberg and he's still producing.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
One of those special players that creates his own offense no matter how bad his linemates play. When he retires it will be the end of an era.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
We'll hes generally been injured a lot over his career. Hardly has ever played 82 games.

He's been healthy these last two seasons but I'm not sure that will last, especially as he gets older. Factor that into just general decline with age, and I think 3 seasons is more likely. Hope he does it in two though.

That's just not true at all. Zetterberg has regularly played 75+ games over his career and has missed like 6 games over his past 4 seasons. If he plays 75+ he should hit 50 points no problem.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
That's just not true at all. Zetterberg has regularly played 75+ games over his career and has missed like 6 games over his past 4 seasons. If he plays 75+ he should hit 50 points no problem.

Out of the 1104 games the Wings have played since he joined the league, Zetterberg has played 992.

That is 89.8% of the total games. This means he plays 73.6 games a season. So no, he has not regularly played 75+ games a season over his career. He misses almost 10 games a season.

This figure has been trending upward the past two seasons because he hasn't missed a single game. This is very unHenrikzetterberg-like, and I'm unsure that he'll be able to maintain such health as he gets even older.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Out of the 1104 games the Wings have played since he joined the league, Zetterberg has played 992.

That is 89.8% of the total games. This means he plays 73.6 games a season. So no, he has not regularly played 75+ games a season over his career. He misses almost 10 games a season.

This figure has been trending upward the past two seasons because he hasn't missed a single game. This is very unHenrikzetterberg-like, and I'm unsure that he'll be able to maintain such health as he gets even older.

Using averages skews the numbers because of how many games he missed in 2014. In real games he's done pretty well.

Including this season Zetterberg played 75+ games 9 times in his career out of a total of 14 seasons. He played 46 out of 48 games in the lockout shortened season and 74 games in 2010, barely missing the cutoff, so if you count those two you're looking at 11 out of 14 seasons.

He missed a significant number of games in '04, 07, and 2014 but that's about it.

He's had chronic back problems but the surgery seems to have helped that. He's not getting any faster but his remarkable play this season gives hope.

Last edited:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Two seasons in his career heavily skew that data. Considering he's missed 6 games in 4 seasons since his back surgery I see that as pretty clearly an outlier and not the norm. Zetterberg's durability issues have always been exaggerated. He's had no problem staying healthy for 4 years now.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Kinda strange to announce it before retirement LOL. Cool to see Elias getting his jersey up for the Devils too.

Count me in for Dayts and Feds too. I hope to be at the game for Feds.

left hand path

Oct 29, 2016
z is by far the oldest player in the top 50 this year. i thought he was done at the beginning of the season too. crazy.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Yeah this season has been the opposite of previous seasons where he's started hot and then faded the second half. This year he started off slower and then just exploded the second half of the year. Keep in mind that Vanek was are most dangerous offensive player to start the season. Once he started dealing with injuries and was traded though Z has taken the bull by the horns. Spectacular effort by him. Kind of pissing me off though for draft purposes.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Ken Holland confirms Zetterberg's jersey retirement. I guess that settles that. Well deserved. Hope Dats and Fedorov and make it up there one day, they deserve it.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...etirement-as-devils-announce-honor-for-elias1

Silly question but who is in charge of jersey retirement decisions?

Follow up question, was Mr. I the one stopping the Feds jersey retirement and if so has anything changed on that front now that he has passed on (RIP).

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
What Hank is doing this year is practically Hart-level. If this team had just one more defenseman who could play the puck, he probably has an extra dozen points and the Wings might've squeaked into the playoffs. It's crazy at his age.

I mean, there's no way he'd win in that scenario, but he still probably be 20 points ahead of anyone else on the weakest of playoff teams.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Kinda strange to announce it before retirement LOL. Cool to see Elias getting his jersey up for the Devils too.

Count me in for Dayts and Feds too. I hope to be at the game for Feds.

It's a pretty smart move, marketing wise. Zetterberg had lost a ton of luster in this past few years. Hype up his season here as much as you can. Number to the rafters! Hart-level hockey! One of the best Swedes of all time!

Milk that hype for next season.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Really is amazing how good of a season he has had, and the work ethic and determination he plays with is truly remarkable. Even when it's evident this team is not making the playoffs, the guy still gives his all. Great leader, too bad the team couldn't do anything during his tenure as captain. Future hall of famer for sure, and #40 should be at the rafters at little ceasars arena next to #13 when he hangs them up.

And I just scrolled up and saw Holland's comments.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If his is going up so should datsyuk who is more accomplished and more of a lock for the hall

Federov should be up there as well. Might as well put konstantinovs up there because his is "semi retired" for some reason. Either do it or dont

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
If his is going up so should datsyuk who is more accomplished and more of a lock for the hall

Federov should be up there as well. Might as well put konstantinovs up there because his is "semi retired" for some reason. Either do it or dont

I assume it would be team owner who has the ultimate say in whose jersey goes up, so it makes sense that a grudge against borderline players could be the difference-maker. It's quite possible that's what keeps Fedorov out of the rafters, considering his drama-filled career. I think he's in the rafters if he'd had no drama + partial career with the Wings or if he brought drama but spent his entire career with the Wings, but not both the drama and the partial career. At least from an ownership perspective.

As for Konstantinov, I don't like that argument. As impactful as he was, he didn't even play 500 games in the NHL and as much as he was a stand-out, it wasn't for being elite across the board. I think taking his number out of circulation is the appropriate tribute.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One of those special players that creates his own offense no matter how bad his linemates play. When he retires it will be the end of an era.

It was wild seeing Zetterberg leading the charge to try and tie the game against Toronto on Saturday night. The guy looked like quarterback trying to a tie a Super Bowl game as opposed to some throw away late season game in a non playoff year. Whatever that culture is, make sure to bottle it up and find a way to get the kids on that program. It's an end of an era when he retires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad