Henrik Zetterberg Appreciation Thread

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
60 points in 70 games.
Logging 16 most minutes per forwards
20 points over the next leading scorer
Start of the day he was outscoring Alex Ovechkin and Ryan Getzlaf (tied now), while outscoring guys like Jonathan Toews, Claude Giroux, and Johnny Hockey.
Getting better as the season goes on.

If he had the PK minutes, I think he finishes second to Ryan Kesler in Selke voting. One of his best seasons at the age of 36.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Guy is a monster. Too bad his team is trash

Defensively, I think this may be one of his best years. I hope he gets some votes for the Selke. Watching players struggle after or prior to playing with him, and then just go off with him is awesome to watch. Tatar has struggled without Z. Nyquist was useless, got with Z, and went on a streak. Mantha has been pretty bad since being moved away.

If he had the PK minutes... he's second to Ryan Kesler this season in Selke voting..

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Did not see this coming from him, dude is an absolute animal. Talk about being a catalyst for anyone who is on his wing, guy is unreal. Our best winger always seems to be the dude on his side.

Thanks Hank, you are a true leader.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Has there been a more low key super star around the league in the last 20 years? Dude gets almost no recognition around the league. Never mentioned in the best center threads. Just seems like always an after thought. Crazy impressive what he's doing this year at his age on this trash team without the physical abilities he once possessed. Don't even know what to say about the guy. He's a warrior and true red wing legend.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I mentioned this before but I think we've got a better appreciation for Hank now that Pavel is gone. Pavel was given a lot of credit for his 2-way play but Hank was sometimes overshadowed for all that he does. He's obviously not as flashy as Pavel was.

To me, he's the next number this franchise should retire. His loyalty and dedication needs to be rewarded even if he's not a Hall of Fame player.

Wirtaneh

In Mantha we trust
Aug 10, 2014
Finland
When Zetterberg decides to retire, there won't be anyone with such high intelligence towards the game and this worries me. Some of the players are just plain dumb like Smith (was) and Abby and almost everybody else has normal hockey iq but we will lack high hockey IQ guy after Z hangs the skates.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This is a legit crazy year for a guy that has gone through what he has and has so little support this year. Hope he can stay healthy and give us more hockey like this.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I mentioned this before but I think we've got a better appreciation for Hank now that Pavel is gone. Pavel was given a lot of credit for his 2-way play but Hank was sometimes overshadowed for all that he does. He's obviously not as flashy as Pavel was.

To me, he's the next number this franchise should retire. His loyalty and dedication needs to be rewarded even if he's not a Hall of Fame player.

If he has two more years like last year (aka one of his worst years in his career), he'll hit 1000 points. Unless something drastic happens to Zetterberg, he should certainly have the stats to back up the Hall of Fame and should have a pretty damn good narrative.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
There was a moment in the 2nd period yesterday, and he was the first man in on the forecheck and I was like "man, Z is so slow these days"

Then he intercepted the breakout pass and set Tatar up for a great chance in the slot. Seemed like every shift his line was in the Avs zone for 45 seconds.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I think Z is a perfect example of a physically declining athlete using his smarts to compensate . Guy is an absolute stud

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
In a way, it feels kind of bad that we haven't traded him. He has more to give, but we're wasting his time now. I wish we could trade him to a contender and let him actually compete.

The guy has won a Cup, a gold medal, and a Conn Smythe. He has accomplished most of what there is to accomplish already. Let him play out his career with 1 franchise (which happens too rarely now a days) and ride off into the sunset.

If he didn't have a Cup, I might agree. But the guy is decorated. Let him retire here and put #40 in the rafters. And put #91 and #13 up there too.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
If he didn't have a Cup, I might agree. But the guy is decorated. Let him retire here and put #40 in the rafters. And put #91 and #13 up there too.

Has anyone worn #91 since Fedorov left? I was at Coyotes v Blues last night and this randomly popped into my head. Curious if it's already defacto retired.

Henrik Zetterberg was a shining light in a very dark place this season. At his age he shouldn't be as good as his but he remains a Zexy boss. I hope this team does better by him next season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
In a way, it feels kind of bad that we haven't traded him. He has more to give, but we're wasting his time now. I wish we could trade him to a contender and let him actually compete.
To be fair he's never missed the playoffs before and he has a cup. It's sad watching a player like him on a non-playoff team but it's not like we're talking about a Sundin or Alfie. Few players never miss the playoffs, we should be happy we at least didn't waste years of Z's prime by being this bad.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
To be fair he's never missed the playoffs before and he has a cup. It's sad watching a player like him on a non-playoff team but it's not like we're talking about a Sundin or Alfie. Few players never miss the playoffs, we should be happy we at least didn't waste years of Z's prime by being this bad.

Agreed, Z is just now cementing his legacy even further. He'll go down as one of the best players in Wings history.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
Can we just leave the Fedorov garbage out of this thread? Number retirement is the most insignificant talking point.

Back on topic, have a whole new respect for Z. He's involved in so many positive things off the ice as well.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Has anyone worn #91 since Fedorov left? I was at Coyotes v Blues last night and this randomly popped into my head. Curious if it's already defacto retired.

Henrik Zetterberg was a shining light in a very dark place this season. At his age he shouldn't be as good as his but he remains a Zexy boss. I hope this team does better by him next season.

not according to this:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/numbers.cgi?number=91

it's a pretty rare number though,only 22 players have ever worn it and nobody ever wore it on the Wings before Fedorov either

signing Stamkos would have been a good test of it since it's all he's worn and if they were gonna let anyone wear it they would a high profile free agent like that

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
not according to this:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/numbers.cgi?number=91

it's a pretty rare number though,only 22 players have ever worn it and nobody ever wore it on the Wings before Fedorov either

signing Stamkos would have been a good test of it since it's all he's worn and if they were gonna let anyone wear it they would a high profile free agent like that

We've had several players that would have worn it if possible, it's quite clear it's out of circulation here.

Brad Richards had worn #91 most of his career before coming here. Frk has worn #91 most of his hockey career, including his stint in Carolina. Neither wore it in Detroit. Believe I've even seen articles saying it's unofficially off limits.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
We've had several players that would have worn it if possible, it's quite clear it's out of circulation here.

Brad Richards had worn #91 most of his career before coming here. Frk has worn #91 most of his hockey career, including his stint in Carolina. Neither wore it in Detroit. Believe I've even seen articles saying it's unofficially off limits.

sure,there's "off limits" for a washed up old vet and a fringe prospect and "off limits" for a franchise prospect or a high profile free agent though

we'll see what happens if someone like that ever wants to wear it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad