Henrik Zetterberg Appreciation Thread

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What a beast year from Zetterberg, who turned 36 to start the season. Let's look at some of the stats.

He played all 82 games and scored 68 points (0.83 PPG). That was 1st on the team by 20 points. Abdelkader scored 21 points this season. So the gap between Z and everyone else was basically 1 Justin Abdelkader.

He also lead the team easily with a +15. That's 5 more than next closest Mantha and the next closest forward on the roster would be Nyquist with a +/- of 0.

Zetterberg played more minutes than any other forward, and by a wide margin there, too. 19:43 a game, next closet was Nyquist at 17:26. The on thing Zetterberg did not do was kill penalties.

Finally Zetterberg took the most draws for the team and won 51.8% of them. And he lead the team in shots, with 195.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
What a beast year from Zetterberg, who turned 36 to start the season. Let's look at some of the stats.

He played all 82 games and scored 68 points (0.83 PPG). That was 1st on the team by 20 points. Abdelkader scored 21 points this season. So the gap between Z and everyone else was basically 1 Justin Abdelkader.

He also lead the team easily with a +15. That's 5 more than next closest Mantha and the next closest forward on the roster would be Nyquist with a +/- of 0.

Zetterberg played more minutes than any other forward, and by a wide margin there, too. 19:43 a game, next closet was Nyquist at 17:26. The on thing Zetterberg did not do was kill penalties.

Finally Zetterberg took the most draws for the team and won 51.8% of them. And he lead the team in shots, with 195.

all this at the age of 36 in which he had been declining for several seasons in a row. incredible stuff

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
What a bounceback year I didnt think was possible. Legendary season. He must have worked really hard in the offseason. Deserves to enjoy his break a little more this year.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014

Yep, absolute shame it didn't help the team at all, other than giving us fans something to feel good about throughout this long, drawn out train wreck, but it was a hell of a season from the captain. He didn't deserve for the streak to end during his tenure but he carried us with class right to the end and hopefully the next few years will see the franchise moving in the right direction so that he can hang them feeling like he helped start a bright new era, rather than just being there at the miserable end of the old one.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
This would have been equivalent to Thornton's last hurrah last season if he actually had good players to play like. Couture, burns, Pavelski, etc. Ppg+, winning the selke, etc. What an awesome season, regardless.

Hope he doesn't fall off a cliff like Thornton did. Then again with Dahlin coming up, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing.

I love you Z. I miss your friend Pav too.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Yep, absolute shame it didn't help the team at all, other than giving us fans something to feel good about throughout this long, drawn out train wreck, but it was a hell of a season from the captain. He didn't deserve for the streak to end during his tenure but he carried us with class right to the end and hopefully the next few years will see the franchise moving in the right direction so that he can hang them feeling like he helped start a bright new era, rather than just being there at the miserable end of the old one.

It helped the hell out of Anthony Mantha, Gustav Nyquist, and Tomas Tatar. Helped Justin Abdelkader get a big contract, Dylan Larkin breakout, etc. Z seems to find chemistry with a lot of players actually. In their last years, he was working with Val and Hudler. He's had streaks with Datsyuk and Franzen, had Cleary going in 12/13 playoff run, etc.

Tatar and Nyquist were useless on the same line with Sheahan. Both ended up nearly breaking 50 points with Z. Curious of their games played, points, goals, etc when paired on that top line. Wonder if we were a tad more healthy and we had the PP going like our last 15 games.

Tatar-Zetterberg-Datsyuk
Vanek-Nielsen-AA
Larkin-Sheahan-Mantha
Helm-Glendening-Abdelkader

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
It helped the hell out of Anthony Mantha, Gustav Nyquist, and Tomas Tatar. Helped Justin Abdelkader get a big contract, Dylan Larkin breakout, etc. Z seems to find chemistry with a lot of players actually. In their last years, he was working with Val and Hudler. He's had streaks with Datsyuk and Franzen, had Cleary going in 12/13 playoff run, etc.

Tatar and Nyquist were useless on the same line with Sheahan. Both ended up nearly breaking 50 points with Z. Curious of their games played, points, goals, etc when paired on that top line. Wonder if we were a tad more healthy and we had the PP going like our last 15 games.

Tatar-Zetterberg-Datsyuk
Vanek-Nielsen-AA
Larkin-Sheahan-Mantha
Helm-Glendening-Abdelkader

Was only referring to the fact of Detroit's poor showing in the standings this season, regardless of Z's great performance, not the obvious statistical benefit individual players enjoyed riding on his line or any wisdom and experience he's imparted to the young guys. Certainly wasn't questioning his importance to the franchise over his career, just lamenting that this season turned out so poorly for the team overall despite the level of excellence he maintained at his "ripe" age.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Was only referring to the fact of Detroit's poor showing in the standings this season, regardless of Z's great performance, not the obvious statistical benefit individual players enjoyed riding on his line or any wisdom and experience he's imparted to the young guys. Certainly wasn't questioning his importance to the franchise over his career, just lamenting that this season turned out so poorly for the team overall despite the level of excellence he maintained at his "ripe" age.

If we didn't have Zetterberg in the line-up I'm curious where we finish. I do think Frans Nielsen is not getting enough credit on the season though. I thought he was productive this season with second tier talent on his wing, including Luke Glendening for like 15 games.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
If we didn't have Zetterberg in the line-up I'm curious where we finish. I do think Frans Nielsen is not getting enough credit on the season though. I thought he was productive this season with second tier talent on his wing, including Luke Glendening for like 15 games.

There's only a few spots lower than we finished to choose from so it's not much of a guessing game really--though it's safe to say Z kept us from a Colorado meltdown situation at least, so there's that (though I'm sure many around here would be happier to have Colorado's draft odds right now).

Nielsen's probably capable of a bit more than what we got out of him this year, at least we should hope going forward considering we're chained to him for another four years, though certainly limited linemates didn't help his cause. Got good work out of Vanek and Green too, even Ott to the extent he played. Really the free agents weren't such an issue--they played more or less as well as could be expected of them and if the homegrowns had progressed their games as we had hoped they would, we might have gotten a couple more playoff games out of the ol Joe. Makes the fruitlessness of Z's heroic efforts that much more frustrating seeing so many of our young guys struggle to take the next step while others failed to live up to newly signed contracts, squandering the revival season of a true NHL great. But it's over now, and new seasons bring new hope.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
A pitty that he had to be the Captain that failed to get the team to the playoffs. He did a valiant effort though, I truly belive he did everything he could. He had age and a crap season from plenty of teammates to fight against, so it was just too much.

The positive thing about the season is that we know that Z doesnt need the youth speed, to keep up production, he do fine with hockey IQ and work ethics. This will make his contract bearable for the team. Now to the offseason, hope we can get some good pieces!

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Hank was such a star this season...feel great for him, bad for the team. What a prince of a guy to put up with what couldn't have been a lot of fun. That guy works too hard for this team to finish where it did.

Geki

Jul 2, 2003
Visit site
I really did not expect him to make it through the season this year. After last season I thought for sure his back was giving him bigtime problems but what a turnaround! Couldn't happen to a better guy.

He deserves a better team than this. Let's get to building!

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Thank you for the incredible season Z. Sorry that your coach is a moron and your teammates blow. Z deserves better to end his career.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I really did not expect him to make it through the season this year. After last season I thought for sure his back was giving him bigtime problems but what a turnaround! Couldn't happen to a better guy.

He deserves a better team than this. Let's get to building!

Agreed. Especially without Datsyuk.

Remember Blashill's talk about not leaning quite so hard on Zetterberg? Z ends up playing 82 games with more icetime than the previous year. :laugh:

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Henrik Zetterberg had an excellent season! Super healthy too. Any reason to believe he can't duplicate the success next season?

I own Henrik Zetterberg on my fantasy hockey team and am considering keeping him.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
Henrik Zetterberg had an excellent season! Super healthy too. Any reason to believe he can't duplicate the success next season?

I own Henrik Zetterberg on my fantasy hockey team and am considering keeping him.

He's going to be 37

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
He's going to be 37

True. Still makes a lot of money next season. Just curious if it'd be a safe gamble for next season. My alternative is Kyle Turris or Milan Lucic. I'm thinking for 1 more season... Zetterberg may be a better keep.

I can fill his spot in 2018/19 with Mitch Marner who still qualifies as a prospect in my league. (under 80 GP)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He's going to be 37

He's still a great player, though, and his game was never based around some sort of superior physical attribute. Since getting his back fixed and now adjusting his training, I won't be surprised to see him remaining a very effective player throughout his contract. A top6 C for another couple of years, middle6 C until his retirement, barring more injuries.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
He's still a great player, though, and his game was never based around some sort of superior physical attribute. Since getting his back fixed and now adjusting his training, I won't be surprised to see him remaining a very effective player throughout his contract. A top6 C for another couple of years, middle6 C until his retirement, barring more injuries.

I only watched a few Red Wings games this season, but what impressed me was his vision and passing. He also knows how to slow the game down to his liking.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
It didn't hit me how hard I missed Pavel until I saw him congratulating Z in the tribute last night. Actually made me tear up a bit haha.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
True. Still makes a lot of money next season. Just curious if it'd be a safe gamble for next season. My alternative is Kyle Turris or Milan Lucic. I'm thinking for 1 more season... Zetterberg may be a better keep.

I can fill his spot in 2018/19 with Mitch Marner who still qualifies as a prospect in my league. (under 80 GP)

I think it's a toss up between those 3 regarding fantasy. You're going probably going to get similar production, although you probably get more goals from the other 2, if that matters.

When I have a fantasy problem like that, I just pick the guy I like watching more on TV.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad