Confirmed with Link: Henrik Lundqvist is a Hall of Famer!

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Well deserved. Gilbert, Leetch, Messier, Lundqvist on Mt. Rushmore of greatest Rangers ever.
Leetch, Boucher, Gilbert, Lundqvist

Would be mine. Hard to pick only 4.

However great we feel Messier was, and he was, Boucher was greater. 2 Cups won as player (1928 & 1933), 3rd Cup won as head coach coach (1940). He won 3 of the Rangers 4 Stanley Cups. Was arguably the best player of his generation. He won the Lady Byng so much (7 times) they let him keep the original. For me, he's gotta be on there.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
It's amazing that in the time you're watching hockey, you never can tell how it's going to play out over the long haul. The Rangers were never good as a kid for me, the dark ages were just shuffling in, but you still love the team and hope things go in the right direction.

For 15 years, that hope was Henrik Lundqvist. You think back to 2005 and this team and franchise had no direction, was predicted to finish dead last until Hank took the nets. He never let it go.

It bothers me and probably many others that we never got to send him off on the ice as a player. The last time seeing him play in person was a game against Dallas and he got pulled halfway through. His last pro game was in an empty arena. You rarely get to see your heroes go out on top.

I will always remember heading to MSG and just knowing you've got a shot to see a win because #30 was between the pipes. It was the first jersey I wanted.

All the saves, all the wins and shutouts, all the emotional highs, and unfortunately all the end of seasons falling short, but in the end you always came back and knew that as long as #30 was out there, you could come back in October and hope.

We've gotten to celebrate a jersey retirement and we'll get one more night in Toronto. Thank you Hank for giving everything possible. For giving a city hope. For giving the fans a reason to believe.
In all my years (not as many as others here) as a Rangers fan (since about 1991-92 season) that 05-06 season and team was the most fun for me personally. Including 94 which was great but stressful as a fan until we had uphoria at the end. That 05-06 season ended the dark ages which was capped off by a full lost season of no hockey due to the lockout. Tickets at the Garden were cheap enough in 05-06 so I went to a few games. Was a young happy adult. Met my wife that season. Marek Malik scored the greatest goal in Rangers history (joke but seriously, that was great). They were fun, it was a fun season.

Could tell right away Lundqvist was special. Guy was a rock star from the start. A literal rock star. I don't remember a player ever captivating the crowd the way he did from the start. MSG crowd and Rangers fans in general, we treat our goaltenders differently. They're the backbone of our teams and we tend to appreciate them more. And Lundqvist was the best the Rangers ever had.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Leetch, Boucher, Gilbert, Lundqvist

Would be mine. Hard to pick only 4.

However great we feel Messier was, and he was, Boucher was greater. 2 Cups won as player (1928 & 1933), 3rd Cup won as head coach coach (1940). He won 3 of the Rangers 4 Stanley Cups. Was arguably the best player of his generation. He won the Lady Byng so much (7 times) they let him keep the original. For me, he's gotta be on there.

We finally have enough for a Rangers draft pick HHOF Mt Rushmore.

- Brad Park (1988)
- Brian Leetch (2009)
- Sergei Zubov (2019)
- Henrik Lundqvist (2023)

And none of them retired a Ranger. Yikes.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
No surprise, but still so satisfying. I’m raising the next hall of fame Henrik right now, hopefully he has Hank’s hair and not mine so he looks good when he gets his name called in 40 years.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Mogilny not making it is a travesty

Almost 500 goals and over 1,000 points in 990 games. Dude was electric. Elite. Who cares where hes from?

I get whats going on and I have a similar outrage, but why punish a player who hung them up about 20 years ago?

If its that much of a problem put on your big boy pants and prevent all Russians from being drafted or playing in the league, regardless of their political affiliation.

My guess they will likely induct him whenever this garbage blows over, I mean Zubov got in.... problem is it shouldve been done years ago

Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I love reading all the Henrik memories. On the ice, nothing tops Game 7 in Pittsburgh in 2014 and the Vanek save that year in the ECF. Watching the highlights never gets old.

I had the chance to meet Hank briefly at a Garden of Dreams event through work last spring. Couldn't have been nicer, took pictures with us, it was great. A week or so later, I was at the Killers concert at the Garden and on the way out, I bumped into him again and we only had a quick encounter but he recognized me from the event. One of the coolest experiences in my life. Sometimes it's nice to meet your heroes.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Mogilny not making it is a travesty

Almost 500 goals and over 1,000 points in 990 games. Dude was electric. Elite. Who cares where hes from?

I get whats going on and I have a similar outrage, but why punish a player who hung them up about 20 years ago?

If its that much of a problem put on your big boy pants and prevent all Russians from being drafted or playing in the league, regardless of their political affiliation.

My guess they will likely induct him whenever this garbage blows over, I mean Zubov got in.... problem is it shouldve been done years ago

Mogilny should be inducted twice.

Once as a player, and once as a trailblazer, or even a builder if you have to give it that name. For what he did and how he paved the way for other Russians. First Russian to defect and make his way to the NHL.

It's absolutely ridiculous how he isn't in the HHOF yet.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
If anything, I always felt that Henrik was underappreciated, underrated, and undervalued around the league. Part of his greatness was his year-to-year consistency. Each year it would seem that some goalie has a once in a career lifetime year and would win the Vezina. Henrik just continued chugging along. People around the league just took him for granted. You still hear some grumbling that he wasn't all the great. Those of us lucky enough to see him game after game, season after season, knew how great he was. I remember in the years before he came here how JD talked to Sam about this young goalie who had a chance to be something special. He seemed to go from one of the best young goalies in Sweden, to the best goalie in Sweden, to one of the best young goalies in Europe, to the best goalie outside of the NHL. JD was effusive in his praise for the young Henrik. The season he took over was magical, knowing very quickly that we had something special.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
If anything, I always felt that Henrik was underappreciated, underrated, and undervalued around the league. Part of his greatness was his year-to-year consistency. Each year it would seem that some goalie has a once in a career lifetime year and would win the Vezina. Henrik just continued chugging along. People around the league just took him for granted. You still hear some grumbling that he wasn't all the great. Those of us lucky enough to see him game after game, season after season, knew how great he was. I remember in the years before he came here how JD talked to Sam about this young goalie who had a chance to be something special. He seemed to go from one of the best young goalies in Sweden, to the best goalie in Sweden, to one of the best young goalies in Europe, to the best goalie outside of the NHL. JD was effusive in his praise for the young Henrik. The season he took over was magical, knowing very quickly that we had something special.
There was a lot of will and compete in Henriks game. No quit.

I remember the hype we had when he was drafted, and then he just delivered. The sky was the limit - he reached it and then some. We were all lucky to witness that career arc.

He almost went undrafted and i think thats why he never had the full respect of other players with top draft pedigree.

But look at him now.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
Meh, Hank is getting in on his first year of eligibility - Barasso has been eligible for 17 years and Vernon has been eligible for 18 years. Hank is clearly a step above and the headliner by far.
Yes I totally get that . My point is that he is 10 steps above. I think in some ways it taints it that they elect these bums that weren't good enough to make it the previous 16 and 17 years. Why all of a sudden are they good enough now? Rules need to change for HOF eligiblity.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Laracque is an idiot who thinks one good season makes Carey Price a Hall of Famer and the best goalie in the league. His comments don't deserve discussion
I mean Price is a HoFer as well. And I loved watching him. He was 09 Cliff Lee. But obviously team Hank.

BleedBlueNYR

Jan 25, 2019
New York
I love reading all the Henrik memories. On the ice, nothing tops Game 7 in Pittsburgh in 2014 and the Vanek save that year in the ECF. Watching the highlights never gets old.

I had the chance to meet Hank briefly at a Garden of Dreams event through work last spring. Couldn't have been nicer, took pictures with us, it was great. A week or so later, I was at the Killers concert at the Garden and on the way out, I bumped into him again and we only had a quick encounter but he recognized me from the event. One of the coolest experiences in my life. Sometimes it's nice to meet your heroes.
You mentioning game 7 in Pittsburgh made me smile. That flurry of shots in the 3rd when there was a stick in the crease and the puck took a deflection off of it Henrik somehow keeping it out. Wow. I’ve never seen an athlete put a team on his back and drag them as far as he could for some of those playoff runs the way he did. Would’ve been a lot of lean years without him. Thanks Hank.

Reactions: McRanger92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad