Post-Game Talk: Hellebuyck has arrived: Jets win 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Putting Buff at forward will only accomplish one thing... it will get him to waive his NMC 2 seconds before he goes into Chevy's office and demands to be traded.

Do people actually think Buff signed here long term without some kind of gentleman's agreement that he will not be made into a forward.

I would still rather have bad Buff on defense then really unhappy Buff at forward.
But if somehow Maurice could harness good Buff we might really start being a force.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Do you think I was posting the CA numbers because I think they are predictive or descriptive? You said Lowry was solid defensively last night. He wasn't and his historical performance is irrelevant. I watched the game twice and am quite familiar with the context.
I dunno. You compared a player's individual single game CA rate per 60 to the season rate of a team. Not sure what you were aiming for.

If you watched the game twice you might have noticed the shift where his line got hemmed in because of two bad clearing attempts by Myers ( one hitting Tanev on the back of his skate as he tried to blow the zone). After a few shot attempts against that had nothing to do with Lowry, Lowry finally shut down the offense, took the puck and cleared the zone. It was a good shift defensively for Lowry, even though he accrued a few Corsi against.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
The thing is, if Lowry Matthias Tanev was the 4th line the Jets would have one of the best 4th lines in the league. It's just the insistence by Maurice that they are played for huge strePetan
The thing is, if Lowry Matthias Tanev was the 4th line the Jets would have one of the best 4th lines in the league. It's just the insistence by Maurice that they are played for huge stretches of the game that is a problem.

Putting Perreault or Connor in the bottom 6 instantly makes the Jets a more offensively balanced team. It's brutal that 50% of the forward lineup is just out there to hack and wack and survive. Every time Lowry and Matthias get a 2 on 1 (it seems to happen a lot) I imagine Kyle Connor having the puck on his stick instead. sucks
Completely agree -- we need a balanced top 9. But I don't think putting either Connor or MP with Lowry does it. Putting Both there, now thats worth exploring.

If I were coach I'd try:
ESL -- Laine & Ehlers deserve to be together & Schief is a natural C for them
PLW -- as in Petan with Little Wheeler. best fit for all I think
PLC -- don't like L at 3C, but thats not even worth discussing with Mo; I could see this being a heck of a good line.
4th line -- whomever else he wants out there; Hendricks will be for sure as soon as he's healthy

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Putting Buff at forward will only accomplish one thing... it will get him to waive his NMC 2 seconds before he goes into Chevy's office and demands to be traded.

Do people actually think Buff signed here long term without some kind of gentleman's agreement that he will not be made into a forward.

I would still rather have bad Buff on defense then really unhappy Buff at forward.

I agree that it wouldn't be long term, more just thinking while we have 7 capable D-men until one inevitably gets injured.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Its not a point, its a logical fallacy. If Brandon Tanev is on the top line and we bench Laine but we win, does that make it a good decision? No. And if the Blues put Thorburn on the top line but bench Tarasenko and they win, does that mean we should consider it? No.

The bottom 6 accounts for the biggest goal differential on the team this year and the previous 2 years, including the highly publicized special teams issues. If you don't think our bottom 6 is a problem, you're either not paying attention or you're spending too much time checking how many teams are winning despite making terrible decisions to justify our **** decisions. Judge the process, not the result.
I agree the Jets should look to get more productive bottom six combinations, if for no other reason than they shouldn't ride Scheifele, Wheeler and Little so heavily. Perreault to the third line is what I'd like to see, with Petan or Connor in the top six.

Jets main deficit in goal differential last year was when they had Perreault centering the third line. They got killed in shot attempts and had a -11 goal differential 5v5. Second biggest problem was Burmi (GD -5). He's gone. Lowry and Copp lines held their own 5v5 in GD last season.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
A productive Buff at F would be awesome right now, seeing as our D depth is quite good at the moment. I just don't think it'll work. On the other hand if it would make him waive his NMC then I'm all for it.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
If Lowry is as good a 3C as some people (especially Maurice) seem to think then he should be able to carry a 3rd line with a couple of talented young wingers who can score.

If Lowry is as good a 3C as Maurice seems to think, he should be able to carry a 3rd line full of supervillains and Nazi saboteurs.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Just caught the game. Mo’s infatuation with Lowry’s line is concerning. Feels like we’re a one line team a bit and like we’re handicapping our bottom 6’s offense the way he’s loading it up. Perhaps Perreault dropped down? Maybe Petan with Matthias since he’s finding so many scoring opportunities. Just feels like we’re doing the one thing line up wise we shouldn’t be doing.

Also Myers still working off some rust. Puck watching on that first goal and not sure what that line change on the PK was about. Nice to see him get a shorty with that perfect shot.

Really feel like we still have a lot of team potential that we haven’t unlocked. Myers and Kuli haven’t settled in yet. And I’ve already mentioned the forwards which I think needs to be tweaked.

Reactions: Guerzy

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Do you mean to imply that supervillains and Nazi saboteurs can't play hockey? :laugh:

More along the lines of even with powerful evildoers trying to thwart his best efforts (for lack of a better term), Lowry would still be a superstar in Maurice's mind.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
go to the oilers board. they are saying the same about their bottom 6 and even worse. and the oilers are 2nd favorites to win cup. for that matter most fan bases are unhappy with their bottom 6. connor was forcast to be on team. Hendricks and armia will be back on bottom 6 replacing the 2 weakest players any day now. we will be fine. Hendricks armia and connor should be in our bottom 6 over tanev petan and dano. Hendricks and armia will have to do for now. hopefully soon connor can join them in the bottom 6.

I cheer for the Jets not the Oilers, how the Oilers choose to mess up their roster is of no concern to me. The can put McDavid on the 4th line for all I care

Jets main deficit in goal differential last year was when they had Perreault centering the third line. They got killed in shot attempts and had a -11 goal differential 5v5. Second biggest problem was Burmi (GD -5). He's gone. Lowry and Copp lines held their own 5v5 in GD last season.

The important context missing here is that Perreault was centering that line in the begining of the season when he was playing hurt and one of his wingers was Connor, who was a rookie and likely not ready. Perreault should be given another chance to Center a 3rd line with Connor on one of his wings to see what happens

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I dunno. You compared a player's individual single game CA rate per 60 to the season rate of a team. Not sure what you were aiming for.

If you watched the game twice you might have noticed the shift where his line got hemmed in because of two bad clearing attempts by Myers ( one hitting Tanev on the back of his skate as he tried to blow the zone). After a few shot attempts against that had nothing to do with Lowry, Lowry finally shut down the offense, took the puck and cleared the zone. It was a good shift defensively for Lowry, even though he accrued a few Corsi against.
I think the comparison was to illustrate just how poorly Lowry's defensive game was last night. If you expand the sample to look at all of last season, Lowry was pretty bad on the PK in terms of CA/60 with a rate of 115.12 - 3rd worst forward on the Jets and 28th worst in the NHL. He's also nothing special at even strength with a CA/60 of 55.25 - 4th worst forward on the Jets and 218th worst in the NHL (out of 418 with 250+ minutes at evens), so about middle of the road). I think sending out Lowry like he's a legit shutdown center ultimately hurts the Jets.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
There are stats guys out there claiming that since 2011, with Buff in the lineup, the Jets average 0.907%
With Buff out of the lineup, the Jets saving percentage jumps to 0.921%

Food for thought.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think the comparison was to illustrate just how poorly Lowry's defensive game was last night. If you expand the sample to look at all of last season, Lowry was pretty bad on the PK in terms of CA/60 with a rate of 115.12 - 3rd worst forward on the Jets and 28th worst in the NHL. He's also nothing special at even strength with a CA/60 of 55.25 - 4th worst forward on the Jets and 218th worst in the NHL (out of 418 with 250+ minutes at evens), so about middle of the road). I think sending out Lowry like he's a legit shutdown center ultimately hurts the Jets.

Good post here Gmoney- and I didn't have to see all those stats ( although useful) to size up Lowry. Let's face it, the guy cannot score, and has hands of stone. For some reason Maurice has a love affair with him- I don't know why ??? I think Armia is probably the Jet's best defensive player, and should get more playing time. He's especially good on the PK- almost like he has glue on his stick.

To use a guy like Lowry for anything other than a head banging fourth line center, says a lot about the coach.

I still would like to see 3 offensive, defensive lines, and "one" bottom 4-th line. In order to do that, you need to bring up Kyle Connor, and use Petan properly on the 3-rd line, along with a guy like Copp, Armia etc.

Why Maurice "cannot" see the writing on the wall, is beyond me ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad