Proposal: Heiskanen to Toronto

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Are you serious? Why on earth would any Leaf fan turn that down??
Because we're giving up a top four defencemen with high ceiling for a top two defencemen. On top of that wer giving up an 80 point forward and getting cap garbage back. So no... I wouldn't do this

Reactions: Flyer lurker

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
what is this supposed to mean?

It's supposed to mean that the Leafs could be legit Stanley Cup contenders if they build a proper defence but the contingent of the fan base that wants to pretend that everything is great and that this is already a Cup contender deserve the lousy results they are going to get.

Last edited:

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
You deserve the team you have if this is your thinking.

Eh, I want Heiskanen but if anything he undersold Marner by calling him an 80pt forward as well.

For the record I would at the very least consider this deal due to positional needs, but you can’t fault someone for not wanting to give up their top defensive prospect and a 22 year old player with a 94pt season under his belt, while taking on a 35 year old 7 million dollar player who showed huge signs of regression that would be buried by the Leafs depth at forward. Pavelski May still be useful next season, but I’d hate to have another Marleau situation on our hands after we what we paid to get out of it.

Also, while Marner is elite but overpaid, we’re not really sure Dubas would do much better when negotiating with Heiskanen so I can’t even favor contracts into the argument yet.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I don't see Leafs doing this at all.

Yes, Toronto need improvement on D. But they're giving up 3 people who'll be needed next year. Sandin is cost controlled and IM will likely still be on a reasonable contract. Marner is obviously overpaid by a mil or so, but is a huge part of Toronto's approach. The team isn't going to become a defensive team, so taking him away will not help.

Furthermore, MH is due a big raise in what, a year? Will he price himself out of sticking in Toronto?

I can see why Dallas wouldn't give him up. But don't see Toronto giving up those pieces either, doesn't make sense to them.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Furthermore, MH is due a big raise in what, a year? Will he price himself out of sticking in Toronto?

Pretty much anyone even ok will be pricing themselves out of sticking in Toronto during the next 3 years or so if the cap remains flat. Kapanen, Johnsson and Kerfoot right now. Mik and Dermott when RFA this summer. Anderson in a year. Rielly, Sandin and Liljegren in two years.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Pretty much anyone even ok will be pricing themselves out of sticking in Toronto during the next 3 years or so if the cap remains flat. Kapanen, Johnsson and Kerfoot right now. Mik and Dermott when RFA this summer. Anderson in a year. Rielly, Sandin and Liljegren in two years.

3 years and the picture probably changes somewhat. But yeah, the next few years will likely be a constant juggling job. That said, it doesn't alter that despite Leafs obviously loving the prospect of NH. This proposal does not make sense for TO.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Eh, I want Heiskanen but if anything he undersold Marner by calling him an 80pt forward as well.

Sure. While calling Heiskanen a top-2 D (when he is a clear #1 already at age 20) and while calling Sandin a top-4 with a high ceiling. I agree on the high ceiling, but Sandin is currently a sheltered bottom pairing D (who has been healthy scratched).

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I don’t think you’ll find a Stars fan that would trade Heiskanen for anything reasonable. The kid has come in and helped completely transformed our defence. Marner would be our best forward by far, but then we would have a terrible defence, so for those reasons it’s not worth it.

Reactions: Mach85 and ACC1224

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
3 years and the picture probably changes somewhat. But yeah, the next few years will likely be a constant juggling job. That said, it doesn't alter that despite Leafs obviously loving the prospect of NH. This proposal does not make sense for TO.

I would agree to a trade in which Toronto received Heisk, Cogliano and Pavelski (even dropping the 1st rounder from Dallas in the OP) for Marner/D/F (but the D would not be Sandin - Dallas' choice of Dermott or Liljegren; and the F would not be Mik - Dallas's choice of Johnsson, Kerfoot, Engvall). It would allow Toronto to offer a good 1-year UFA contract this summer, and while Heisk's next deal will be more than Chabot's 8M, it will be less than Marner's 11M.

But regardless, Heisk is not being traded.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Did you watch both of them play at 19? Johnson was playing as a third pairing D with 4 minutes a night on the PP and most of his points on the PP. If people were dreaming about Norris trophies for EJ when he was 19 or 20 it would be because of potential. Heiskanen has been a 1D - and a good 1D - since his rookie season.
It's a general point not an apple to apple comparison...

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Some how Leaf fans are going to have to get over this flawed roster of theirs. I get it, it's hard not to be a attached to their exciting high offense forwards. But some of that money needs to be moved to their defense if the Leafs ever want to be a top Cup contender. Moving a one way Kerfoot, a bottom pair Dermott, an AHL superstar Bracco or a slightly damaged Johannsson just isn't going to do it.

They should find a way to move Tavares for defense. He probably doesn't get you Heiskanen but he will get you something damn good.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
To Tor:

:leafs

Miro Heiskanen
Andrew Cogliano
Joe Pavelski
2020 1st round pick

To Dallas:

:stars

Mitch Marner
Rasmus Sandin
Ilya Mikheyev

Let me try one more before I call it quits on the trades for a while.

Dallas needs significant help on offence and Toronto needs to improve their blue line. Marner is as elite as it gets at producing offence and Heiskanen is one of the best young D in the league.

Heiskanen imo is the best asset in this deal, so that’s why Toronto is sending a high upside defenceman in Sandin and cost controlled player in Mikheyev to Dallas. To offset the fact that Toronto is taking on some significant short term salary, they get a 1st round pick.

I’m trying to understand where you came to this value.

Let’s assume:
Heiskanen = Marner (a stretch, as I believe all non Leaf fans would pick Heiskanen)
Mikheyev = Cogliano
Sandin = 1st
Pavelski for free??

Seems like it’s favouring Toronto quite a bit

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I think it’s just not relevant.

Heiskanen could not improve at all and he would walk into Toronto and be the best D they’ve had in years.
With all due respect, your recent threads certainly call into question your evaluation of players. Toronto has a Norris finalist. Heiskanen would not be our best D in years. This is what I'm talking about by over-hyping the young guys before they've fully proven themselves. Before everyone jumps on me, that's not a knock on Heiskanen. He's arguably the best young dman in the league.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I think it’s just not relevant.

Heiskanen could not improve at all and he would walk into Toronto and be the best D they’ve had in years.

If Toronto really needs elite dman right now
so why Maple-Leafs didn't try trade up and get Heiskanen 2017 NHL draft.

It's too late today because Heiskanen is a Dallas Star now
and he's not leaving anywhere from Dallas before he's UFA.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
With all due respect, your recent threads certainly call into question your evaluation of players. Toronto has a Norris finalist. Heiskanen would not be our best D in years. This is what I'm talking about by over-hyping the young guys before they've fully proven themselves. Before everyone jumps on me, that's not a knock on Heiskanen. He's arguably the best young dman in the league.

I think Heiskanen is better than Reilly. Just my opinion. I didn’t mean to upset you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad