Proposal: Heiskanen to Toronto

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If you polled every GM in the league and asked if they wanted a late 1st or Sandin every single GM would say Sandin.... his draft position doesnt matter, he has exceeded all expectations since then and looks a really good bet to be at least a top 4D.

Can you send me the emails you have from all GMs confirming this?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Is Sandin worth more? Maybe to the Leafs because he's further developed but he was a (very) late first on his own. You'd actually be moving up in the draft from where you drafted him.

That is not how reality works. By your "logic" Tampa should be willing to trade Point for a second round pick and Carolina should be happy to trade Aho for a late first and Dallas should definitely trade Heiskanen for Nolan Patrick.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
No way. Heiskanen is good and is good bet to be a cornerstone #1 which is the rarest commodity to get. Marner is a scoring wing and not elite two-way like Stone, Marchand and probably a couple of others. He doesnt have the same value at all

Stone doesn't produce as much
Marchand is 10yrs older, didn't do anything as a 22 yr old.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
That is not how reality works. By your "logic" Tampa should be willing to trade Point for a second round pick and Carolina should be happy to trade Aho for a late first and Dallas should definitely trade Heiskanen for Nolan Patrick.

Ah yes, because trading PPG players is the exact same as trading a guy with 28 games of mediocre sheltered NHL experience :laugh:

They’ve established themselves, Sandin has not at all.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
To Tor:

:leafs

Miro Heiskanen
Andrew Cogliano
Joe Pavelski
2020 1st round pick

To Dallas:

:stars

Mitch Marner
Rasmus Sandin
Ilya Mikheyev

Let me try one more before I call it quits on the trades for a while.

Dallas needs significant help on offence and Toronto needs to improve their blue line. Marner is as elite as it gets at producing offence and Heiskanen is one of the best young D in the league.

Heiskanen imo is the best asset in this deal, so that’s why Toronto is sending a high upside defenceman in Sandin and cost controlled player in Mikheyev to Dallas. To offset the fact that Toronto is taking on some significant short term salary, they get a 1st round pick.

Take out Dallas 1st to make it even close.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Ah yes, because trading PPG players is the exact same as trading a guy with 28 games of mediocre sheltered NHL experience :laugh:

They’ve established themselves, Sandin has not at all.

GMs are perfectly able to assess how players have progressed since the draft. I already outlined in a post above comparing Sandin to all 43 late first round draft pick D from 2005 - 2018. In fact if you look at all D drafted anywhere in the first round during that time period Sandin, as a 29OA, still comes out in the top 10% at 2 years post-draft.

Your extreme biases make you look dense. GMs, however, wouldn't last long if they thought the same way.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
and? They are still better players than Marner...you need to move beyond counting stats and watch non-Leafs hockey

I would say Marchand is, but I can wait a couple of years.
Marner has more takeaways, than Mr.Takeaway, who playmake anywhere near as well.
...again time is on my side

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
and? They are still better players than Marner...you need to move beyond counting stats and watch non-Leafs hockey
Ah... yet another pointless comparison where player x is always better than said leafs player for whatever arbitrary reason with constant moving goal posts. Marchand didnt even start producing anywhere close to marner until he was 27. The fact that marner is only 23 is totally relevant in that, you basically make the assumption that he's peaked. As for stone being better, under what metric? They're two very different player, why would you even compare the two? What does this comparable even have anything to do with anything?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad