Player Discussion: Heinola Thread

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Demelo stabilizes the 3rd pair and any of the young kids can play with him and we know he's good with Josh also.

Dillon is likely the odd man out

Dillon not Demelo. Lol

Lhd depth is there..

Rhd depth legit is Nate ( shoots left) pionk demelo Kovacevic Lundmark

B Dillon goes. D Demelo stays

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Depending on what we want to do with our forward core next season we may not have a choice but to move one. A third pairing dmen making $3 million might not be a luxury that we can afford.

Barring that we may have to go pretty young with our forwards next season.

I see our D as a more balanced group - we don't have $8M + contracts on the blue line and that should allow us to maintain $3M on the 3rd pair, especially when the partner is sub $1M.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Demelo stabilizes the 3rd pair and any of the young kids can play with him and we know he's good with Josh also.

Dillon is likely the odd man out

Dillon not Demelo. Lol

Lhd depth is there..

Rhd depth legit is Nate ( shoots left) pionk demelo Kovacevic Lundmark

B Dillon goes. D Demelo stays

yeah idk why people want demelo gone. he has played with a myriad of partners and roles in both WPG and OTT and the pairing often fairs better w/ his inclusion (have to consider who the partner is w/o Demelo though, but the trend indicates he boosts a pairing). Dillon i have not been impressed with it at all this year, and his contract is worse than Demelos.

Heinola is to good for the AHL imo. the guy needs to be in a faster league where he can improve further along, and see what works/doesn't.

Reactions: FonRiesen

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I see our D as a more balanced group - we don't have $8M + contracts on the blue line and that should allow us to maintain $3M on the 3rd pair, especially when the partner is sub $1M.

They will have to trade off forward salary then to keep it as is.

They won't be able to keep Copp in such a setup.

Reactions: ocdaddy

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
yeah idk why people want demelo gone. he has played with a myriad of partners and roles in both WPG and OTT and the pairing often fairs better w/ his inclusion (have to consider who the partner is w/o Demelo though, but the trend indicates he boosts a pairing). Dillon i have not been impressed with it at all this year, and his contract is worse than Demelos.

Heinola is to good for the AHL imo. the guy needs to be in a faster league where he can improve further along, and see what works/doesn't.
Well we have to drop one of those defencemen in the offseason likely. People probably just don't like having $3 million tied up in a third pairing D. I'd rather have DeMelo at $3 than Dillon at $3.9 IMO. DeMelo is part of the solution here. He makes his partner better, plays a smart, safe, sound game, and can fill in up the lineup if needed. I've been on the fence about Dillon this year. He's an upgrade on Forbort (but that isn't saying much) and has elements to his game that we lack, but I still think he's the odd man out.

Schmidt is definitely staying. He is part of a legit top pair now with Morrissey, glad to see they have chemistry and he brings much needed puck-moving and offensive punch to our blue line.

Go into next season with seven D on the roster: Morrissey, Schmidt, Pionk, DeMelo, Stanley, Heinola, Samberg. Pairings TBA.

Reactions: surixon

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I don’t see the rush with Heinola right now, he’s not lighting up the A enough to suggest he’s not being challenged. The D pairings have slowly been getting better each week. Morrissey and Schmidt have been oustanding, Pionk and Dillon have been gaining more consistency and have mainly just been victim of some execution mistakes. Their overall play seems a bit more fluid than in the first couple weeks and I think that’s likely down to increased familiarity. Demelo and Stanley are fine. Demelo stabilizes the pair and Stanley right now is a decent 6.

I just hope they don’t oversell Stan. I think he’s played better than most expected he would and he’s still improving. His limitations are fairly obvious though and I don’t see a top 4 ceiling in his future, not with the talent the Jets have behind him. I’m not a big fan of D playing on their off side, particularly when they are young. If Stanley keeps moving on an upward trajectory, with the amount of NHL games under his belt, he could ultimately increase his value enough to be a good trade chip to make way for Heinola and Samberg.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well we have to drop one of those defencemen in the offseason likely. People probably just don't like having $3 million tied up in a third pairing D. I'd rather have DeMelo at $3 than Dillon at $3.9 IMO. DeMelo is part of the solution here. He makes his partner better, plays a smart, safe, sound game, and can fill in up the lineup if needed. I've been on the fence about Dillon this year. He's an upgrade on Forbort (but that isn't saying much) and has elements to his game that we lack, but I still think he's the odd man out.

Schmidt is definitely staying. He is part of a legit top pair now with Morrissey, glad to see they have chemistry and he brings much needed puck-moving and offensive punch to our blue line.

Go into next season with seven D on the roster: Morrissey, Schmidt, Pionk, DeMelo, Stanley, Heinola, Samberg. Pairings TBA.

Yup, I would also be fine moving Dillion if we want to keep Copp in the fold. If we don't keep Copp we likely have to bring back Paul for less then what he is making now to maintain some forward depth.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I have a feeling Copp will want max salary and term. I’m thinking $5.5 - 5.75 range X 7 years. He has been under paid until now and will want his money.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I don’t see the rush with Heinola right now, he’s not lighting up the A enough to suggest he’s not being challenged. The D pairings have slowly been getting better each week. Morrissey and Schmidt have been oustanding, Pionk and Dillon have been gaining more consistency and have mainly just been victim of some execution mistakes. Their overall play seems a bit more fluid than in the first couple weeks and I think that’s likely down to increased familiarity. Demelo and Stanley are fine. Demelo stabilizes the pair and Stanley right now is a decent 6.

I just hope they don’t oversell Stan. I think he’s played better than most expected he would and he’s still improving. His limitations are fairly obvious though and I don’t see a top 4 ceiling in his future, not with the talent the Jets have behind him. I’m not a big fan of D playing on their off side, particularly when they are young. If Stanley keeps moving on an upward trajectory, with the amount of NHL games under his belt, he could ultimately increase his value enough to be a good trade chip to make way for Heinola and Samberg.
Solid take.

I think Heinola is doing good in the AHL, but I haven't had the chance yet this season to catch a game, so I will defer to others on this. But who in the lineup is he replacing? Right now, all our starting six D are playing good. Beaulieu is our #7 right now if someone goes down but then after that Heinola is likely first call-up if a leftie goes down and maybe Kovacevic comes up if a RHD goes down.

Reactions: Ducky10

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have a feeling Copp will want max salary and term. I’m thinking $5.5 - 5.75 range X 7 years. He has been under paid until now and will want his money.

Well of course he is going to want the Hyman deal and he will get it from someone.

Can we afford to lose a forward as good as he has become going into next year? I guess Toronto lost a similar forward and is still clicking along quite well.

You have to factor in further decline from Wheeler and imo that puts a lot of pressure on Cole to come in and make up the point decrease.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Offensively Heinola has been very good but he is still prone to numerous defensive breakdowns and isn't very good one on one right now.

To my eye he is looking more like a potential Schmidt offensive first puck moving dmen with mediocre defense then he is looking like a potential Morrissey (very good two-way play) dmen.

He still has some defensive refinement to work on.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well of course he is going to want the Hyman deal and he will get it from someone.

Can we afford to lose a forward as good as he has become going into next year? I guess Toronto lost a similar forward and is still clicking along quite well.

You have to factor in further decline from Wheeler and imo that puts a lot of pressure on Cole to come in and make up the point decrease.
It will be interesting and it might come down to if Chevy is more comfortable filling in the roster with forward prospects or D prospects.

Reactions: surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Offensively Heinola has been very good but he is still prone to numerous defensive breakdowns and isn't very good one on one right now.

To my eye he is looking more like a potential Schmidt offensive first puck moving dmen with mediocre defense then he is looking like a potential Morrissey (very good two-way play) dmen.

He still has some defensive refinement to work on.
This is the main reason I don’t think they are in a hurry to bring Heinola into the lineup. We are getting plenty of offence from our backend so there is no need to rush him for his offence. Much better for him to develop his defensive game. Adding a bit of weight wouldn’t hurt either.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
With Heinola I have to keep reminding myself that he's playing this year. Last year I was going nuts b/c he was pressboxed so much. There's no need to rush him in the NHL, but I'm sure glad he's playing more hockey this year.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Yes, I would assume Copp is the guy on the way out -
If they have figured one thing out over the past couple of years, it's that our top O guys need solid D support or they get crushed in their own end.

Enter Perfetti and a middle sixer

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes, I would assume Copp is the guy on the way out -
If they have figured one thing out over the past couple of years, it's that our top O guys need solid D support or they get crushed in their own end.

Enter Perfetti and a middle sixer

Good point. My guess is they bring back Stastny for another year to play in the bottom 6 and bring up Perfetti to play with Scheifele and Ehlers.

Reactions: LowLefty

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

For the record, I'm not necessarily advocating for trading DeMelo. I just believe that given the smaller stature of our d-core outside of Stanley and Dillion, that the Jets might decide to trade DeMelo instead of Dillon if they were deadset on putting Heinola in the lineup. That said, it could go the other way around and I wouldn't really be shocked.

Also, I was drunk and posting quickly between games of Halo. :sueme:

Reactions: buggs

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
For the record, I'm not necessarily advocating for trading DeMelo. I just believe that given the smaller stature of our d-core outside of Stanley and Dillion, that the Jets might decide to trade DeMelo instead of Dillon if they were deadset on putting Heinola in the lineup. That said, it could go the other way around and I wouldn't really be shocked.
There may be a segment of HF posters dead set on putting Heinola into the line up, but there is no evidence that the Winnipeg Jets organization shares that feeling. Quite the opposite actually since they re-signed DeMelo long term last season and traded 2, 2nds for Dillon this season. That would suggest to me a plan to go with a veteran group on the backend. At least for awhile.

Reactions: LowLefty

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
There may be a segment of HF posters dead set on putting Heinola into the line up, but there is no evidence that the Winnipeg Jets organization shares that feeling. Quite the opposite actually since they re-signed DeMelo long term last season and traded 2, 2nds for Dillon this season. That would suggest to me a plan to go with a veteran group on the backend. At least for awhile.

I don't believe they're dead set on getting Heinola into the lineup either, it was just a theoretical idea.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I don't know where Stan's ceiling is but I'll give him some more time to help me make up my mind.
He makes the odd mistake and will get beat by speedy forwards once in a while but over all, he's solid back there.

As he matures, he'll learn to use what he has to over come what he doesn't -
His wing span, size, smarts, passing and shooting will help him over come his lack of speed and agility - hopefully.
He is not done developing IMO - he'll get stronger, a little meaner, work on that big shot, and dial in his gap.
He already passes well and thinks through the game very well.

I don't have him pegged as trade bait - I don't think the Jets do either - at least not yet.
We haven't seen enough of Samberg to confirm or even assume anything and Ville is a completely different D man that will fit into the line up at some point but not necessarily as a Stan replacement.

Reactions: kellhunter

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't know where Stan's ceiling is but I'll give him some more time to help me make up my mind.
He makes the odd mistake and will get beat by speedy forwards once in a while but over all, he's solid back there.

As he matures, he'll learn to use what he has to over come what he doesn't -
His wing span, size, smarts, passing and shooting will help him over come his lack of speed and agility - hopefully.
He is not done developing IMO - he'll get stronger, a little meaner, work on that big shot, and dial in his gap.
He already passes well and thinks through the game very well.

I don't have him pegged as trade bait - I don't think the Jets do either - at least not yet.
We haven't seen enough of Samberg to confirm or even assume anything and Ville is a completely different D man that will fit into the line up at some point but not necessarily as a Stan replacement.
I think Stan’s limit is Huge. Right now Stan has better offense than Dillion. I think he can get meaner. I don’t see anything dillion does Stan can’t and think Stan is better at stretch pass.
He has been exposed but what young player doesn’t make mistakes.

Reactions: kellhunter

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
I think Samberg honestly ends up with pionk one day and ville is likely dealt because other teams probably value his offensive ability more than we do

we aren’t trading Heinola anytime soon. The writing is on the wall that both he and Samberg will be marinating in the AHL and riding out their ELCs with the Moose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad