Player Discussion: Heinola Thread

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If they keep the puck pushed thebother way then there shouldn't be an issue.

yeah no disagreement. although pionk has not been great this year. i think heinola provides more to a line-up than stanley (better offense, puck-moving, transition play). Stanley is bigger of course. defensively i haven't seen much to be enamored with stanley this year, and heinola might have trouble there (but also think his strengths as you illustrated mitigate that). but people are married to the idea of stanley being the next chara it seems. i think most players paired w/ demelo on the 3rd pair will fare well though.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
yeah no disagreement. although pionk has not been great this year. i think heinola provides more to a line-up than stanley (better offense, puck-moving, transition play). Stanley is bigger of course. defensively i haven't seen much to be enamored with stanley this year, and heinola might have trouble there (but also think his strengths as you illustrated mitigate that). but people are married to the idea of stanley being the next chara it seems. i think most players paired w/ demelo on the 3rd pair will fare well though.

Well we've seen Morrissey/Schmidt effectively play a more offensive minded transition defense so no reason why Heinola/Pionk also can't do that.

That type of quick puck moving transition along with a more robust 5 man offe sive system is what the team is moving more towards anyhow.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I like what Stanley is bringing. I get it’s not as sexy as what Heinola would bring. I just don’t see Dillion right now as a big upgrade on Stanley.

Reactions: hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well we've seen Morrissey/Schmidt effectively play a more offensive minded transition defense so no reason why Heinola/Pionk also can't do that.

That type of quick puck moving transition along with a more robust 5 man offe sive system is what the team is moving more towards anyhow.

well schmidt/morrissey are playing at a superior level than pionk (of this year) and likely heinola. not saying it can't be done, but idk if we can expect similar results from worse players. Pionk needs to bounce back of the last 2 years, perhaps post-contract signing hangover? idk, we've seen him play with the likes of kulikov/sbsisa/forbot and put up strong results. nevertheless, it's moot. neither dillon or stanley are likely getting displaced.

Reactions: surixon

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
well schmidt/morrissey are playing at a superior level than pionk (of this year) and likely heinola. not saying it can't be done, but idk if we can expect similar results from worse players. Pionk needs to bounce back of the last 2 years, perhaps post-contract signing hangover? idk, we've seen him play with the likes of kulikov/sbsisa/forbot and put up strong results. nevertheless, it's moot. neither dillon or stanley are likely getting displaced.

Agreed - just because our number 1/2 dmen can play a balanced game with a slight lean to offense, doesn't mean they all can.

Pionk is great when he has the puck - he is not when he doesn't.
Ville is still learning to be great when he has the puck - and he has a ton of work to do without it.
You don't pair these two.

Stanley is third pairing and plays up to that standard on most shifts - does he make mistakes? Yup - he's young and their is still room for growth.
Paying with Demelo, they are a good third pairing - I'm not worried about them (even if Stan makes a mistake once in awhile).

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Got to get Heinola into the lineup next year. He cant stay down another season.

I would keep both Dillon and Stanley for their toughness and trade Pionk. Assuming Heinola can play the right side.

Alternatively bundle him in with a draft pick and trade for a winger to play with 80/81 at the trade deadline.

All in this year!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They will have to trade a dmen to fill some forward spots as they won't have cap space for it.

I have no doubt Perfetti is likely penciled in next year but they will have to bring in another middle 6 forward or retain Copp imo.

Reactions: Mathil8

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
They will have to trade a dmen to fill some forward spots as they won't have cap space for it.

I have no doubt Perfetti is likely penciled in next year but they will have to bring in another middle 6 forward or retain Copp imo.
What about Gus to replace Copp? I mean Lowry isn’t goin anywhere for a long time. Svech is also a middle 6 so if we just replace Copp and stastny with Perfetti and Gus. Get another waiver forward to replace Nash. Hopefully ves is more ready for middle 6 duties instead of 4th line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What about Gus to replace Copp? I mean Lowry isn’t goin anywhere for a long time. Svech is also a middle 6 so if we just replace Copp and stastny with Perfetti and Gus. Get another waiver forward to replace Nash. Hopefully ves is more ready for middle 6 duties instead of 4th line.

A contending team doesn't think that way. They likely replace Nash with Gus and Stastny with Cole. They will want an impact player like Copp still on the roster in a middle 6 spot.

I think Gus eventually brings enough to displace a Copp but he isn't there yet.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Gus is currently nowhere even close to Copp though, although we probably will lose Copp either way.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If they're trading a dman to fit Heinola in I have to imagine it would be DeMelo.

My take on it is there would have to be an important sequence or events that take place before they trade anyone or disrupt this current D core they took two years to build.

When, not if injuries start happening to members of our D core Ville will need to be the guy they call up and he’s going to have to be “too good” over a stretch to force the team to keep him up. At least that’s how I see it this season.

I am cheering for Ville but based on what I saw in pre season he’s going to need time to develop still.

I know there is a school of thought that Heinola may be better than Stanley now but I’m not there “YET”. I think Logan has earned his spot the right way. This is up to Ville he’s going to get his chance. In the mean time he needs to work his ass off to improve and grow his all around game.

I wish the kid all the luck in the world because we could always use an NHL version of that dominate skilled D man I saw at the Workd Juniors.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
If they're trading a dman to fit Heinola in I have to imagine it would be DeMelo.
That is a 3rd option I overlooked. Have to emphasize that I prefer keeping the existing corps intact particularly with regards to Dillon and Stanley. (JoMo staying goes without saying)

It is temping to think of the possible piece in return Chevy could aquire at the TD. Is there a RW coming on the market this spring?

Edit- just checked Google and not much available- Reilly Smith(?)

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Injuries are always a big factor for D cores. My belief is we will need our current top 6 “plus” Heinola and Samberg for this season and next. At least that’s how I see it at this snap shot in time. With BooBoo that gives us a 9 man depth chart while we are going for it this season.

I really love Andrew Copp and I hope we can find a way to keep him. We had two chances to get him into longer term deals but chose arb and then a short deal. Turns out the dam kid kept getting better and we missed the chance of having a really solid Swiss Army knife TOP 6 forward locked up. That is water under the bridge now though so why don’t we just get a cup this season while we have the chance :naughty:.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
That would only make the PK worse. De Melo is pretty safe. I think one of Schmidt or Dillon end up being rentals.

That’s a tough one. Each of Schmidt and Dillon bring so much of what we need and we were missing. Schmidt has stabilized JoMo and let him get back to his old self and they look really good out there.
Dillon plasters guys and plays that physical grinds game and we sorely missed that Buff element. Stanley is getting decent at it but is still a ways away from being that menace we needed since Buff left.
If Stanley can keep developing, with Heinola and Samberg coming along nicely, DeMelo seems like the odd man out.
I would love to try,

JoMo/Heinola
Stanley/Pionk
Samberg/Demelo

Just to see if anything clicks before the TDL or at the very least, 4-5 games at the end of the season.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That would only make the PK worse. De Melo is pretty safe. I think one of Schmidt or Dillon end up being rentals.

That’s a tough one. Each of Schmidt and Dillon bring so much of what we need and we were missing. Schmidt has stabilized JoMo and let him get back to his old self and they look really good out there.
Dillon plasters guys and plays that physical grinds game and we sorely missed that Buff element. Stanley is getting decent at it but is still a ways away from being that menace we needed since Buff left.
If Stanley can keep developing, with Heinola and Samberg coming along nicely, DeMelo seems like the odd man out.
I would love to try,

JoMo/Heinola
Stanley/Pionk
Samberg/Demelo

Just to see if anything clicks before the TDL or at the very least, 4-5 games at the end of the season.
I don't think Schmidt, Dillon or DeMelo are going any where soon. Chevy spent 2 years trying to fix the backend and spent some significant draft resources to get it done. We finally have a backend capable of easy transitions and we are becoming a strong 5-5 team that looks like it can be in the mix. We have the current group all in their primes under team control for 3 more years. Chevy isn't a HF poster so his primary goal isn't to rush prospects but rather to put together the best possible roster, so I'd expect Heinola to spend this year and next primarily in the AHL, along with some injury replacement opportunities.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
It's a long season and he will be in and out of the lineup - he'll get his opportunities.
It would be a nice problem to have if he comes in and makes it very difficult to take him out -
At that point, we can discuss who we might potentially trade to make room for him.

For now, he's a high value prospect trying to put it all together in order to consistently fill a role on the big team -
I'm sure he is aware of what he needs to work on - it's really up to him because he will get his chances.
For now, we look to be in a good spot on D - solid pairings and good prospects on the doorstep.
And what a relief considering where we were a short time ago.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He still needs some work on his defensive play.

To me he's looking more and more like a Schmidt type defender and likely replacement down the road. Real good puck moving and offense from the blueline with mediocre one on one play and okish play in his end.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't think Schmidt, Dillon or DeMelo are going any where soon. Chevy spent 2 years trying to fix the backend and spent some significant draft resources to get it done. We finally have a backend capable of easy transitions and we are becoming a strong 5-5 team that looks like it can be in the mix. We have the current group all in their primes under team control for 3 more years. Chevy isn't a HF poster so his primary goal isn't to rush prospects but rather to put together the best possible roster, so I'd expect Heinola to spend this year and next primarily in the AHL, along with some injury replacement opportunities.

Fair enough. I'd be cautious with an over 30 player like Dillon, that you don't hold on to that contract too long. Within 2 years you have to promote Heinola or Samberg, that's part of the development process. I honestly think Dillon would be the kind of guy to flip to bring Appleton back, but that's just my opinion, and I am quite sure, like you say, Chevy has a better plan than us.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I think they like Samberg and Stanley more cuz of their size. Ville Is a smaller offensive D who would work well with Demelo and run the pp.

I'd trade Dillon. Move on from Beaulieu.
And likely go

Josh Nate
Stanley(Samberg) Pionk
Heinola Demelo

Sam or Stan are your extra D.

That's all off season stuff tho

And likely the hopeful plan they do have. Pionk needs a defensive guy... Josh with a capable partner is just a legit 1 LHD. He's a stud in both ends. Pionk sucks defensively. Feel they groom Samberg and Stanley in to that type and 1 plays with him

I think Samberg honestly ends up with pionk one day and ville is likely dealt because other teams probably value his offensive ability more than we do

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Depending on what we want to do with our forward core next season we may not have a choice but to move one. A third pairing dmen making $3 million might not be a luxury that we can afford.

Barring that we may have to go pretty young with our forwards next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad