Hearthstone #7 - Knights of the Frozen Throne

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
636476730203947602.png

Mages get a 9 mana 3/3 in the priest meta.

I just don't see how that's going to be useful, like at all. It's an interesting idea, but how many spells does a mage really cast that is over 5?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I just don't see how that's going to be useful, like at all. It's an interesting idea, but how many spells does a mage really cast that is over 5?

You'd have to build a deck around it and the other "Big Spell" Mage cards they've released. However, a control-ish type mage with Frost Lich and Medivh does cast things like Blizzard, Meteor and Flamestrike (though in Big Spell Mage, the new Dragon's Fury would be better). With those three alone, you're getting a 9 Mana 18/18. I can see it working.

In other news, I just hit 500 wins with my second class. Deathrattle Hunter is a blast in Wild, especially when you can punish greedy Reno decks. Get DK Rexxar out early and they usually can't keep up.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well, it's a good thing I just hit 500 with Hunter, because if the cards from this expansion are any indication, it's not going to be good for a long time.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Is the new Hunter card one of the worst cards of all time? 6 mana, summon 1 animal companion. Summon another if you have no minions in your deck.

Unless there's some unrevealed synergy with the card, that is unbelievably bad.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It is an unbelievably bad card, unless Hunter gets an extremely OP card that requires no minions. Someone on Reddit posted something like:

Lone Wolf
2-mana spell

Your hero power deals +1 damage for the rest of the game. You cannot play minions for the rest of the game.

That would be worth building around.

But I doubt Team 5 would do something like that. More likely, they're just releasing trash for Hunter so that Mid-range Hunter remains the only viable arch type. Why? Because Mid-range Hunter is a nice "newbie" deck that's competitive in just about every meta.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I feel like the only logical way to even play that card would be maybe having Hemet and DK Rexxar in play? And even then, it's still a terrible card. It wouldn't even be justifiable if there was a way to force it into the bottom of your deck since hunters practically never get to the end of their decks...

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
After seeing it in today's reveal stream, I can see where Blizzard is going with the "no minion" Hunter.

It won't be competitive, but it looks like a fun "meme" deck to play.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Was thinking about crafting "Open The Waygate" just for exodia Mage. Do you think it will still be a viable deck in the new expansion?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I've lost 11 Arena matches in a row. :D

Edit: Now 12....oh jesus this game is good but awful at the same time. :D

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Was thinking about crafting "Open The Waygate" just for exodia Mage. Do you think it will still be a viable deck in the new expansion?

It will be viable in the new expansion, but the new expansion will also give a way to pull off Exodia mage without Open the Waygate. Using the new Elemental that reduces cost, you can pull off infinite fireballs in one turn. No extra turn required.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
45 packs, 3 legendaries. None of then good. Mage, Priest and Paladin legendaries, and the Paladin weapon as the freebie

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Shaman weapon was my freebie, Rogue 2/2 from the packs.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
For the Freebie I also got the Shaman weapon, otherwise I got four in 36 packs.

Dragoncaller Alanna
Sonya Shadowdancer (golden!)
Woecleaver (Warrior weapon)
Zola the Gorgon (adds a golden copy)

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
My freebee weapon was Kingsbane, the Rogue one.

134 packs total

Common : 462
Rare : 141
Epic : 27
Legendary : 7

Golden Common : 13
Golden Rare : 18
Golden Epic : 2
Golden Legendary : 0

My 7 legendaries were, in order :

Sonya Shadowdancer (9)
Val'anyr (Paladin weapon) (30)
Temporus (50)
Kathrena Winterwisp (50)
Aluneth (Mage weapon) (86)
Twig of the World Tree (Druid weapon) (109)
Dragon Soul (Priest weapon) (125)

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I often wonder if they'd make more money by making the packs cheaper. I refuse to spend real money on them because of how expensive they are for what you're getting.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Playing Big Spell Mage. Found out that Deck of Wonders can cast Deck of Wonders.

I mean, logically, I knew that was a possibility. After all, it’s a spell. But out of all the spells in Hearthstone, casting itself again has to be pretty damn low.

Not that I’m complaining. That was a fun game.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Trying to make the dumbest deck ever conceived work out.

The basic concept is to get two Shadowboxers, get an Unidentified Elixer to turn into the Lifesteal one, and hit your opponent for double the amount of life you're currently missing.

It's not going well. In order to lose the amount of life necessary to make the Shadowboxers effective, I pretty much have to give up control of the board, which means the boxers are much more likely to hit their minions.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Trying to make the dumbest deck ever conceived work out.

The basic concept is to get two Shadowboxers, get an Unidentified Elixer to turn into the Lifesteal one, and hit your opponent for double the amount of life you're currently missing.

It's not going well. In order to lose the amount of life necessary to make the Shadowboxers effective, I pretty much have to give up control of the board, which means the boxers are much more likely to hit their minions.

Those types of decks are fun... even if you only get it to work once. With the "gain a bonus effect" though, it's going to make it really tough since you have to get lucky.

I just ran my first arena run of the expansion. 12-win Warlock! :D 4th ever 12-wins, 3 with Warlock. Lesser Amethyst Spellstone is great for arena with some synergy cards. Also that 7-mana 5/5 beast that "costs one less per minion that has died while it's in your hand" is amazing for arena. Quite often a 0-mana 5/5. And of course... no more Death Knights in arena. Makes it so much more enjoyable.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I've been seeing that deck make some rounds on Youtube the past week. I definitely want to give it a go. I'm not really a fan of most meta decks and love fun decks like that. What's your decklist like for it anyway?

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I've been seeing that deck make some rounds on Youtube the past week. I definitely want to give it a go. I'm not really a fan of most meta decks and love fun decks like that. What's your decklist like for it anyway?

Still working on it. I first tried it building around a Tempo Priest build, with Shadow Ascendants and the like. That way, even if the Elixer doesn't hit Lifesteal, it's still useful. But then it felt like it was just a worse Tempo Priest, not really using the Boxers.

So I tried it as a more defensive build, but then it wasn't losing enough life to utilize the Boxers.

But overall, it's pretty much a list you'd expect. Card draw, Shadow Visions, Radiant Elementals, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad