Hearthstone #7 - Knights of the Frozen Throne

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Well, Epic Games came out with a statement saying they would never ban players for political speech and Tencent owns 40% of them. I mean, at this point, it's kind of like saying "if you don't like China don't buy products made there", which is pretty much impossible to do. I don't think such actions make one a hypocrite. Other companies will take notice of this situation even if there's a lot of Chinese money invested in them. For myself, I try to buy products made in US/Canada because 1) they're typically better quality and 2) support jobs here. They're more expensive of course and I'm not swimming in cash, but I do what I can. It's a small sacrifice for the bigger picture.
What about Nestle or the clothing you wear made by children in sweat shops? All I'm saying is be consistent. When one starts this particular boycot, its because its something close to them and affects their best interests, NOT because of their morals, which makes them no better than the corporations. (Their best interest is money) All of a sudden it affects something you (not you per se, but you as in people in general) care about and NOW you get up in arms about it? Where were you when these EXACT things were happening way before this? Sorry, but forgive me if I don't take you'r boycotts seriously.

If you (again, in general) take this opportunity to finally start spreading the word and raising awareness about what these corporations are doing, then I'm all for it, but if you plan on just not buying a game or 2 and think you are doing your part then spare me your details because that isn't going to change anything.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I'm not going to go into a deep explanation of it (this thread would get pretty off-topic) but there are detailed articles about human psychology behind events like these on the internet, but in short, humans are both selfless and selfish. You can stand in the back, do nothing, and act cynical or you can choose to make a difference.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm not going to go into a deep explanation of it (this thread would get pretty off-topic) but there are detailed articles about human psychology behind events like these on the internet, but in short, humans are both selfless and selfish. You can stand in the back, do nothing, and act cynical or you can choose to make a difference.
There’s a time and place though to try to make a difference. I’m all for people with platforms to make a statement. During a stream though, I don’t believe is the place. I think people use those streams, games, tv shows, whatever to escape politics. Make a tweet about it, create a campaign, whatever, but don’t do it through a platform where people are trying to escape.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
There’s a time and place though to try to make a difference. I’m all for people with platforms to make a statement. During a stream though, I don’t believe is the place. I think people use those streams, games, tv shows, whatever to escape politics. Make a tweet about it, create a campaign, whatever, but don’t do it through a platform where people are trying to escape.
Fair enough, but this is all due to Blizzard's disproportionate reaction to his statement. If they just gave him a slap on the wrist with a warning telling him he broke the rules it's highly unlikely it generates this kind of media firestorm.

Reactions: Roman Fell

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
I sent them a support ticket and ask them to delete my account due to them lacking moral fiber. I have spent a lot money on them over the years so I am happy to be apart of their statistics on this stuff. I hope they enjoy being under the thumb of China forever. Time to watch Kibbler play MtG and try and get in to that.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Mods, there's politics in my Hearthstone thread. Please ban all users and take away their vCash. Thanks. :sarcasm:

Fair enough, but this is all due to Blizzard's disproportionate reaction to his statement. If they just gave him a slap on the wrist with a warning telling him he broke the rules it's highly unlikely it generates this kind of media firestorm.

Absolutely. He broke the rules and deserved a slap, but they threw the book at him and, while we obviously don't know all the motivations behind the scenes, it looks shady to the public eye.

Speaking of which, there's no way those terms of service would hold up in court were he to take them there, would they? I'm no legal expert but they seem unreasonably harsh.

I will happily boycott Blizzard-run Hearthstone eSport events, but I only play casually and don't watch anyways so....that's not saying much.

Out of curiosity: is deleting your Blizzard account a true deletion for us North Americans? I know in Europe it's a legal requirement that they scrub your data...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad