Hearthstone #7 - Knights of the Frozen Throne

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Rogue is the best class for this dual Arena event. Ethereal Peddler and their 3/3 weapon get much more value.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I finally draft a pretty good Arena deck, Hunter/Druid, with Taunts, synergy, two Swipes, and both Call of the Wild and UI as late game.

At 1-0, I face a Priest/Mage deck that must have had the best draft ever. Fireballs, removal, like 4 or 5 Kabal Talonpriests, and his “Steal from your opponents deck” cards stole Call of the Wild.

Ridiculous. Maybe at higher wins, I wouldn’t complain, but at 1-0? Come on, game.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Opened Lorewalker Cho yesterday from my Tavern Brawl pack. Decided to finally craft Valeera The Hollow and make a mill deck including the two. So far its been really fun and makes me think which I really like.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Not to harp on the same point, but constructed level decks in Arena is annoying as hell.

Faced a Rogue/Druid who literally had a Jade deck. It was:

Turn 1 Jade Idol
Turn 2 Jade Swarmer
Turn 3 Crypt Lord
Turn 4 Jade Spirit
Turn 5 Jade Blossom into Cold Blood on the Crypt Lord
Turn 6 Jade Blossom.

I lost.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Got my first 12 wins. May not have been my first, but it’s the only one I can remember. Hunter/Mage. Some early game, but only enough to survive long enough.

After that, it was 2 Volcanosaurs and Frost Lich Jaina. Those 3 cards (along with damage manipulation like Meteor and Explosive shot) won me most of my games.

Final boss was a Paladin/Hunter that clearly relied on his Tirion to win him most of his games. Conceded as soon as I froze him with my first Jaina Water Elemental.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
New expansion is Kobolds and Catacombs. Seems like a DND-like expansion with some League of Explorers thrown in.

Looks like fun.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Has it been revealed what "recruit" means? Definitely looks interesting so far, I just really hope it's not an RNG-fest with the new mechanics.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Has it been revealed what "recruit" means? Definitely looks interesting so far, I just really hope it's not an RNG-fest with the new mechanics.

Basically a Y'Sharraj effect. Some Recruit effects will draw random minions, others will draw specific condition minions (3 or less attack, for example).

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I love getting friend requests after beating somebody in this game. I wish other people would accept mine. :( I don't even want to trash talk, whenever I friend request I always want to compliment them on a cool deck.

I've been playing a lot of mill rogue lately in wild, I'm having an absolute blast with it. I just played against a warrior and on turn 4 played coin, coldlight oracle, gang up. Then on turn 5, I already had another coldlight oracle and gang up so I played another pair of them. My opponent concedes and friend requests me. I accept all friend requests because I usually love the conversations of salty players or worst case, have someone else I can spectate for when I have that spectate a friend daily quest. His conversation went as follows:

Him: Really?
Me: Yes
Him: Wow
Me: Thanks!
Him: Get with the times dude.
Me: Stop playing wild dude.

Unfriends me. Oh, good times!

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
So Marin the Fox seems like a good card in priest (SW Pain etc.). Any other classes / decks it works well in?

I find the Treachery Warlock deck to clunky to run it consistently...

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
I really hope they release some stuff in Kobolds that allows us to cheat out Azari the Devourer earlier.

I don't think Bloodbloom will be good enough, as punching yourself in the face for 5 seems like a cost that's just too high.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
This new set seems kinda bad so far? Seems like 5 more months of more or less the same decks.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
So far this expansion seems to be more about creating memes than adding substantial and meta defining cards.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The price increase in Canada has cemented me as a free to play player. Good job, Blizzard.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I feel like not many people are buying in on this expansion. There's all this uproar that the game is becoming way too expensive, and it is. But add all these people protesting along with all these bad cards being released, maybe something will change? I highly doubt it though.

The only cards I want from this expansion are that new rogue legendary that gives you a 1/1 copy that costs 1 when it dies and the ooze that battlecry will kill a friendly minion and deathrattle will summon 2 copies of it. Otherwise, it looks like a bunch of meh. That mage card that can become a 2 mana cabalist's tome looks awesome but I never really play mage and I doubt that card is going to make me.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah I just haven't seen anything that gets me excited so far. My interest is finally slowly dying after two years now. I'll still play, just not as much.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
There's two things doing it for me:

Expansions are a lot more expensive than adventures. That's obviously why they're doing it, but I feel like they're just going to keep what whales they can and push away the smaller paying players or the f2p players. That being said, I'm probably not going to stop playing any time soon, but I certainly won't be paying as much as I was before. It's a lot easier to spend $25 and know you get all the new cards for a set then spend $50 for a bunch of packs out of a new expansion, knowing you'll be missing a lot, than just spending $50 after $50 after $50 and never getting that many cards out of your money. There's so many decks I want to play but I don't have some key legendary or epics. I even have a ton of dust. I keep sitting here thinking I should craft warlock DK because it looks like a lot of fun but I don't think I should. I have practically no good mage or paladin cards so I just never play those classes. I'd like to but I know I'll just be less and less likely to ever play them because these expansions just make it harder and harder to do it.

There's no wow factor in this expansion either. The last two expansions had huge game changers that while not many of them are being used regularly, when they were first introduced made me think "Holy crap, how is this going to work? What are you going to have to do to combat this?" Quests were a whole new idea. All the rewards seemed really cool. It was obviously a race to complete the quests and see who can make it all work together first. Death Knights were also really fresh and interesting. Sure, a couple looked bad from the start, but it was all some really cool ideas and I don't ever see them going away from the meta until they get rotated out of standard (not that that matters to me as I've become more of a wild player than a standard player anyway.) But what do you get this expansion? Wow, legendary weapons! People are just going to run oozes and destroy them pretty much immediately. A lot of the cards seem random to boot. That's why I don't really like playing evolve shaman, you don't really get much control over the situation.

I'll probably just continue to play the same decks in wild where it likely won't change much aside from the people who run standard decks in wild for some reason.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I like the new Priest card but I dunno how useful it'll be in current Priest decks, which are likely to remain the best Priest decks.

Best hope for the cards in this XP seems like "maybe some will be good when things cycle out."

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
The new rogue card seems really good. 4 mana 4/4 with basically an ambush effect for yourself. I'm sure I'll craft that and instantly throw it into my mill rogue deck while I draw as many cards as possible.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So I'm just trying to play enough games to get to rank 15 for the month, and I had one of the funniest/scariest games I've ever played. Rank 17 playing Razakus Priest. My opponent is a Warrior who armors/passes until turn 4, when he coins out Frostwolf Warlord with no minions on the board. Got a good laugh out of that one. I end up only drawing one minion before turn 8 with no large removal, while he proceeds to drop 2x Boulderfist, a Stormwind Champion, and a larger Frostwolf in turns 7-11, so I struggled to survive. I was down to 5 health at one point before Greater Healing Potion gave me some breathing space. Still, I drew the DK pretty late and only pulled it off with a single card in hand and a single card in deck remaining. Absolutely hilarious that a deck with 100% basic cards almost beat a Razakus Priest with terrible draws. That would have been slightly embarrassing. :laugh:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
636476730203947602.png

Mages get a 9 mana 3/3 in the priest meta.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->