Head Coaching Thread | Friedman: "[other suitor] hearing that a deal was done"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Elliot Friedman isn't one to just throw things out there. When he says that McLellan is going to be the next head coach barring a major collapse in negotiations I'm going to believe him.

Way, way too much smoke here.

Plus the Oilers haven't even spoken to Babcock. Why do that unless they've already made their decision?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Nicholson isn't the type of guy to let rumours out about his club. Guy has done this stuff at the highest level and will do it right here.

I still think we hire Babcock.

You are right, the leaks aren't coming from either Nicholson, Chiarelli or both but they could be coming from Mclellan's representation/side or from other interested teams' GMs. Personally, I think the answer lies in the thread title.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Yes, because they need to sign a waiver to talk to him while he's Detroit property or risk tampering charges (and they haven't signed the waiver).

The possibility of this happening is now basically 0%.

Very easy to ask an old friend what he thinks of Edmonton's weather.
"Well Bob I think Edmonton is ****ing cold. On another note I want a Stanley Cup next year at the latest and I love teams with starting goalies."
"Hmm ok good talk Mike. We hired Todd McLellan in the last 12 seconds btw."

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I think only Friedman is? When Chiarelli goes to Prague, he is there speaking to not only McLellan, but to Babcock and DeBoer as well. Holland, Babcock, Nicholson, and Chiarelli are all top tier Hockey Canada guys. Don't think they would let something slip.
Chiarelli left Prague before Babcock arrived. And the Oilers never put themselves on Detroit's compensation agreement list to talk with Babcock. That would have gotten out.

Yall think DeBoer would come in as an assistant coach? Thoughts on that?
I'd be fine with that. He's interviewed for the Sharks' HC position and Dreger reported today they want to interview him a second time though.

McLellan said a few days ago that Jay Woodcroft is coming with him to his next job. McLellan-Woodcroft-Nelson-DeBoer would be great, but I doubt that happens. One of Nelson (assuming he's staying) or DeBoer would most likely be up in the press box. Not sure either wants that.

Really anyone that McLellan brings on is fine with me, because he actually knows what he's doing. As long as no one isn't forced on him (Buchberger...), I'm happy.

I believed he may have burnt his last bridge. I heard he was the one who leaked his being interviewed by Philly to the media. In an attempt to increase his value. I also heard Philly toned down/erased any interest they had for him. Saying something like he was one of many interviewed and more for the sake of variety/due diligence than anything else.
Wouldn't surprise me, the guy is a clown. I'd love to see him get the Leafs job as RisingSun said.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
"Well Bob I think Edmonton is ****ing cold. On another note I want a Stanley Cup next year at the latest and I love teams with starting goalies."

Very easy to lose a first round pick and get fined a million dollars.

It hasn't happened. It doesn't happen in general. As was pointed out, these are professionals who do these things the right way.

They shook hands with McLellan a week ago. Bank on it.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I thought the Red Wings gave him permission to speak to anyone until May 25th? I was under the impression the teams who officially signed the waiver were the teams agreeing to give up compensation to hire him.

Meaning other teams could still talk to him, but would need to agree later if they wanted to officially hire him.

Either way, seems like Babcock is going back to Detroit to me. There's nothing about Toronto, Philly or San Jose enticing enough to leave. Buffalo is close to home, has an owner that can pay and will lots of great young players, but they could 5 years from playoffs, forget being contenders.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I believed he may have burnt his last bridge. I heard he was the one who leaked his being interviewed by Philly to the media. In an attempt to increase his value. I also heard Philly toned down/erased any interest they had for him. Saying something like he was one of many interviewed and more for the sake of variety/due diligence than anything else.

If true, wow. His arrogance is just so......I don't even have a word for it. The only thing he increased was the number of people saying "someone is bat**** crazy enough to even interview him for an NHL job?"

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I thought the Red Wings gave him permission to speak to anyone until May 25th? I was under the impression the teams who officially signed the waiver were the teams agreeing to give up compensation to hire him.

Meaning other teams could still talk to him, but would need to agree later if they wanted to officially hire him.

Either way, seems like Babcock is going back to Detroit to me. There's nothing about Toronto, Philly or San Jose enticing enough to leave. Buffalo is close to home, has an owner that can pay and will lots of great young players, but they could 5 years from playoffs, forget being contenders.
I think this whole Buffalo being close to home thing is a little silly. He's not going to drive home for over 4 hours every night. He is going to move his house and family to a completely new city, making the proximity to Detroit a non-factor. If Babcock really wanted to go to a rebuilding team anyways Edmonton would have been the best option.

Very easy to lose a first round pick and get fined a million dollars.

It hasn't happened. It doesn't happen in general. As was pointed out, these are professionals who do these things the right way.

They shook hands with McLellan a week ago. Bank on it.

None of them do things the right way. Too many players and coaches are hired/signed too quick. These are professionals in walking fine lines.

Last edited:

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I'm stoked for McLellan as coach. My guess is 60% chance Nelson moves on, takes the Hurricanes AHL head coach job, and 40% chance he sees this as rapidly improving and being snatched up that way, that's if McLellan wants him on.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'm stoked for McLellan as coach. My guess is 60% chance Nelson moves on, takes the Hurricanes AHL head coach job, and 40% chance he sees this as rapidly improving and being snatched up that way, that's if McLellan wants him on.

I doubt that. Nelson is under contract with The Oilers. If he's not on TM's staff, he will be coaching The Condors next year. Unless of course The Oilers and Nelson mutually agree to terminate.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

Well I can't tell you what they've done "unofficially" but they haven't spoken to him officially. And as it's been pointed out, there is no path to signing Babcock without filing the official papers. That only makes sense to me if they have already have a deal with somebody else in place.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If they wanted to talk to him they would have signed the papers. There was no compensation owed for just peaking to the guy. It seems clear that they were very close with McLellan and knew enough about Babcock already to be comfortable going forward.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Tell that to Sabres fans. I guess all the Lowe/MacT/Tambo failures have left us to temper our expectations and be a bit more realistic. Sabres fans think because Pegula has billions, they are gonna be bona fide contenders next year.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If they wanted to talk to him they would have signed the papers. There was no compensation owed for just peaking to the guy. It seems clear that they were very close with McLellan and knew enough about Babcock already to be comfortable going forward.

Yeah, seems simple enough to me: They're passing on Babcock. Very difficult for some to hear, but if they like McLellan better for this job, then I have no issue with it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Why would he go somewhere else just to coach their AHL team? He's under contract with the Oilers for 2 more years so either he will be the assistant coach here, coach down in Bakersfield or will be NHL head coach elsewhere.

I think he stays on as assistant if he can't find a head coaching gig elsewhere.
I doubt they had a 5 hour meeting if there wasn't mutual interest in him staying on.

It's probably best for Nelson anyway because it will almost assuredly raise his stock to be the assistant coach on a rising team (or a team that one would assume will be better).

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I think this whole Buffalo being close to home thing is a little silly. He's not going to drive home for over 4 hours every night. He is going to move his house and family to a completely new city, making the proximity to Detroit a non-factor.

I think one of his kids is in college nearby so it's more that mom will be near the college rather than a plane flight and a drive from the airport away.

Then again he's talking to the Sharks now so maybe it's not that big a deal. Maybe the Wings are expecting compensation and teams dont want to give it.

copper_blue

Jun 15, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
There is something to this Babcock story that we don't know about, isn't kinda odd that only two, maybe three teams have officially asked for permission. (Tor,Buf and SJ). IIRC, Stl, Pitts, Phi and Edm didn't ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad