Head Coaching Thread | Friedman: "[other suitor] hearing that a deal was done"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
There is something to this Babcock story that we don't know about, isn't kinda odd that only two, maybe three teams have officially asked for permission. (Tor,Buf and SJ). IIRC, Stl, Pitts, Phi and Edm didn't ask.

I'm of the belief that Babcock has spoken to most of the teams unofficially and told them either he didn't want to go there or he wasn't sure and some teams (edmonton and philly) are going ahead rather than waiting around to see what happens. For me if I'm Chiarelli and I can get McClellan for sure or have a maybe chance with Babcock I take McClellan and run.

ZugNugget

Feb 19, 2008
I'm of the belief that Babcock has spoken to most of the teams unofficially and told them either he didn't want to go there or he wasn't sure and some teams (edmonton and philly) are going ahead rather than waiting around to see what happens. For me if I'm Chiarelli and I can get McClellan for sure or have a maybe chance with Babcock I take McClellan and run.

A lot of the speculation surrounding the Oilers' decision not to interview Babcock seems to revolve around not letting McClellan 'get away'.

With how well Chiarelli and Nicholson know Babcock, maybe they decided he just wasn't the right fit for this team and weren't interested in interviewing him.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
They hired him without asking for permission to speak to Babcock, could you imagine the "upset-ness" if the Oilers had done something like that, lol
That's how things were done here for years under Kevin Lowe. Oilers fans were sick of it. There's so much similarity between the Flyers OBC and the old Oilers regime. Maybe nobody with any credibility wants to work there either.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I thought this was an interesting perspective on McLellan's 'playoff choking' status. Points the finger towards players more than coaching, but interesting to consider regardless.

i'll point out that mcclellan's tenure is easily the most successful period in SJ's history, and that SJ was blowing series before mcclellan was their coach.

'06: led oilers 2 games to 0, lost game 3 in 3OT, then lost the next 3 games. averaged under 2g per game in the series.

'07: less than 1 minute from a 3-1 series lead vs DRW, but several players played poor D and allowed robert lang to score. SJ lost in OT, then lost game 5 1-4 and lost game 6 in a shutout. averaged under 1.5g per game in the series.

'08: lost 3 games in OT to dallas. averaged under 2g per game in the series.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
A lot of the speculation surrounding the Oilers' decision not to interview Babcock seems to revolve around not letting McClellan 'get away'.

With how well Chiarelli and Nicholson know Babcock, maybe they decided he just wasn't the right fit for this team and weren't interested in interviewing him.

He wasnt intrested in them. Chia talked to Holland, at that point I would imagine Chia was told Babcock wasnt intrested in Edmonton.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Not true, I would imagine teams called Holland to see if they could line something up, Im sure Babcock gave Holland a list of teams he would talk to.

Chia talked to Holland, it just didnt go any further because Babcock didnt want to come here.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I thought this was an interesting perspective on McLellan's 'playoff choking' status. Points the finger towards players more than coaching, but interesting to consider regardless.

Darryl Sutter was labelled a choker leaving the Sharks. Quenneville was labelled a choker leaving St. Louis. Good coaches, like teams, sometimes need the right situation and a little luck to win the Stanley Cup.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Thornton and Marleau have always been above average players but they've never been able to dial their games up during a tough series. All that failure has to stop at the players on the ice. Not much a coach can do when his best players consistently stop showing up for big games. To me the Sharks problems were more GM related than coaching related. Wilson was the guy who watched them fail every year and kept sticking with them.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Darryl Sutter was labelled a choker leaving the Sharks. Quenneville was labelled a choker leaving St. Louis. Good coaches, like teams, sometimes need the right situation and a little luck to win the Stanley Cup.

Are you saying that coaching is all about timing? :sarcasm:

I hope we stick with McLellan, who IMO is a top 5 coach with a system that likely relates better to the Oilers. This whole Babcock thing seems odd, kind of like he's trying to go all Lebron James with the UFA coaching thing, very egotistical.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Not true, I would imagine teams called Holland to see if they could line something up, Im sure Babcock gave Holland a list of teams he would talk to.

Chia talked to Holland, it just didnt go any further because Babcock didnt want to come here.
Why would Holland be speaking for Babcock? In what way would that make any sense? You really think Chiarelli called Holland up and asked him if the coach he was still interested in keeping would want to go to his team? :laugh:

What makes sense to me is that they kept getting more impressed by the game watching Mclellan coach Hall and Eberle at the WHC. I think that made them very comfortable going with him instead of hunting the white whale that Babcock has become. Chiarelli is smart enough to see that a top notch coach is not only interested in coming to Edmonton but he can also work with his best two players. I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Why would Holland be speaking for Babcock? In what way would that make any sense? You really think Chiarelli called Holland up and asked him if the coach he was still interested in keeping would want to go to his team? :laugh:

What makes sense to me is that they kept getting more impressed by the game watching Mclellan coach Hall and Eberle at the WHC. I think that made them very comfortable going with him instead of hunting the white whale that Babcock has become. Chiarelli is smart enough to see that a top notch coach is not only interested in coming to Edmonton but he can also work with his best two players. I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

Well you do know teams had to go through Holland before they could talk to Babcock right?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Can you please provide a credible source for all this conjecture you've been posting across multiple threads? Thanks.

Teams must also sign a waiver agreeing to the new compensation rules just to talk to him (which the Oilers have not done, in spite of having an opportunity to). Source here.

NHL.com
"Holland, who said there is a compensation letter teams must sign in order to talk to Babcock, said he has received some calls."

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Can you please provide a credible source for all this conjecture you've been posting across multiple threads? Thanks.

Helene St.James Twitter

NHL teams would have to sign compensation letter to talk to Babcock. If hire him, team would owe Wings Draft pick

Thats Hollands job. Babcock is still property of the Wings. Just like AHL coach of Wings, which Holland would not grant any permission for teams to talk to him.

You just cant phone a person up in the NHL that is still under contract and talk about a job.

Edit:

We also know Chia talked to Holland
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/598170991399952384

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Bring Hitchcock in. Blues interviewed Babcock so Hitchcock is done their.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Philly moved fast to fill the HC position.
Hakstol was an interesting choice.

This window will close in short order...the prudent thing to do here is to target your man and close the deal quickly. Just like they did with Chiarlelli.

Here's hoping that all the rumors are accurate and the Oilers have indeed targeted McLellan as HC and announce it tomorrow.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
That's how things were done here for years under Kevin Lowe. Oilers fans were sick of it. There's so much similarity between the Flyers OBC and the old Oilers regime. Maybe nobody with any credibility wants to work there either.

How dare you pick on the Flyers. Blasphemer.

Typical Oiler fan. :shakehead

BTW: I agree. :)

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Bring Hitchcock in. Blues interviewed Babcock so Hitchcock is done their.

Hitchcock is the ultimate three year coach. Gets his team to a better place and then he loses the room. His systems demand size and strength while stifling creativity.

He's a bad fit and I believe the Oilers have already hired a better coach.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Philly moved fast to fill the HC position.
Hakstol was an interesting choice.

This window will close in short order...the prudent thing to do here is to target your man and close the deal quickly. Just like they did with Chiarlelli.

Here's hoping that all the rumors are accurate and the Oilers have indeed targeted McLellan as HC and announce it tomorrow.

I cant wait for this to happen

Has Speedyturtle commented in this thread yet? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->