Confirmed with Link: Head Coach Vacancy Pt IV — Rangers get permission to speak to Ruff

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
I do think Ruff is a viable candidate. He made something of some bare bones resources in Buffalo there for a while. I liked how the 06-08 Sabres had the D jump into the rush. Granted they had the right guys to do it I guess...

It was always difficult for him to retain his best players while they built around them. Constant upheaval, guys fleeing upstate NY first chance they get. They had to match a wicked offer sheet on Vanek, overpay other guys...

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Do you really need permission to speak with a guy who was fired by his last team?

I understand he still collects on his contract, but permission?

So Hypotheticly the Rangers could prevent Torts from talking to or working for say the NY Islanders until his contract is complete?

I think, officially, they are not fired but just relieved from their duties. The contract is still valid and sometimes former coaches get other positions within the organisation for the remainder of their contract. That's why permission is needed.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Lindy Ruff and the New York Rangers reportedly have permission to talk with one another. The former Sabres coach was scheduled to talk to someone important today.

Ruff is being honored by the Clarence Chamber of Commerce as its inaugural "Sportsman of the Year," but he skipped the accompanying golf tournament this afternoon because he had important phone calls scheduled, an event representative said. He is expected to attend the award ceremony this evening.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres...s-coaching-candidate-has-phone-calls-tod.html

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Were any available coaches really offensively oriented even when this all started? I wasn't 100% sure about anyone, even Eakins.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I'm warming up to the idea of hiring Tom Renney.

He adjusts his team pretty well according to roster level. Doesn't demand too much from youngsters and holds veterans accountable.

Also, perfect guy to blame.

I just threw up in my mouth!

Vidic15*

Vigneault's second interview, and at Sather's place. He's the definitely the top candidate. Ruff has to blow Sather away with his own hockey manifesto to have any chance.

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
I'd be okay with Vigneault. New blood is good and moving works for coaches as well as players. It's strange he couldn't wina cup with the players he had but sometimes even the best players can't win it all.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I hope for your guys sake ruff doesn't take that coaching position...he'd be torts 2.0. Wouldn't get any offense going, would kill your PP, would work lundqvist into the ground, and would continue using your collapsing defense system.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm not excited about AV or Ruff. AV had a similar team to NYR but with more top end talent and couldn't get it done. Couldn't even get out of the first round in the last two years. Say what you will about NYR's depth and ability to compete with the current roster, they have enough firepower to win or they don't, but they're not the Canucks in terms of top-end talent. Also, I think AV really screwed up the whole Luongo situation by starting Schneider without giving Lu a chance to lose his position after years of very solid play.

Ruff is Torts again IMO in that he was really awesome at times, but those times are well int he past now and the game has changed. I haven't seen anything from the Sabres in recent years that made me think they were well coached.

Vidic15*

When was the first? Did I miss something? Was out most of the weekend.

I may have jumped the gun on that. They got permission over a week ago to talk to him. If this is his first interview, they really are taking their sweet ass time.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
I may have jumped the gun on that. They got permission over a week ago to talk to him. If this is his first interview, they really are taking their sweet ass time.

Par for the course.

Didn't even interview Eakins either before he got Edmonton job. Why show some initiative? It's only one of the most important offseasons in recent memory.

Vidic15*

Par for the course.

Didn't even interview Eakins either before he got Edmonton job. Why show some initiative? It's only one of the most important offseasons in recent memory.

Eakins really is a good fit in Edmonton, though.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I am backing off of my 100% against stance of Ruff. The more I take into consideration what he had, the more I begin to think he may not be the worst candidate. I don't know. This sucks. Eakins being gone really blows.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I am backing off of my 100% against stance of Ruff. The more I take into consideration what he had, the more I begin to think he may not be the worst candidate. I don't know. This sucks. Eakins being gone really blows.

Well said :laugh:

Ruff, while he seems just like Torts, carries himself better and have a few different philosophies. But that;s about it. Doesn't mean he sucks but I am not sure of how much would change under Lindy. He isn't terrible. It could be much much worse!

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Ruff has always been a defense-minded coach with the exception of the post-lockout teams led by Drury, Briere, etc. Those teams had speed and skill up and down the lineup. Other than Hagelin, Kreider, and McDonagh, the Rangers aren't exactly a mobile bunch.

Although it's nice to think that Ruff can turn this group into the 06-07 Sabres, our roster as it stands isn't all that comparable to that team. I think Ruff can improve our transition game, but I also have a feeling we'd be trapping a lot more as well.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Ruff has always been a defense-minded coach with the exception of the post-lockout teams led by Drury, Briere, etc. Those teams had speed and skill up and down the lineup. Other than Hagelin, Kreider, and McDonagh, the Rangers aren't exactly a mobile bunch.

Although it's nice to think that Ruff can turn this group into the 06-07 Sabres, our roster as it stands isn't all that comparable to that team. I think Ruff can improve our transition game, but I also have a feeling we'd be trapping a lot more as well.

I don't see a problem with the tactics like... trapping... as long as he uses an effective form that doesn't hinder the team when transitioning.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

I don't think either of those Buffalo teams that went to the ECF had a bunch of real burners up front.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Staal, Brassard, Moore, Stralman, Callahan, Nash and Dorsett are all above-average speed-wise. Stepan/Zuccarello have improved dramatically.

The team is full of water-bug type players up front. I think Ruff could take advantage of that. Also, that's 4/6 of the D core that can skate well. Tortorella never utilized that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad