Confirmed with Link: Head Coach Vacancy Pt IV — Rangers get permission to speak to Ruff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I don't know anything about this Eakins guys that everyone seems to be a big fan of... I get that HF is all about hyping up rookie players, but coaches too?

What system does he implement and why is he garnering so much praise?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't know anything about this Eakins guys that everyone seems to be a big fan of... I get that HF is all about hyping up rookie players, but coaches too?

What system does he implement and why is he garnering so much praise?

He's connected to the Toronto Maple Leafs franchise. Toronto is all about hype. No way a guy like Eakins could handle New York. Not as his first NHL gig.

KreiMeARiver*

What are Colin Campbell, John Muckler or Ron Low up to these days?

or Ron Smith

Seriously, just say NO Messier, Gretzky, Maurice, Vigneault, Ruff, Hartley, Crawford, etc.

Boucher, Eakins, or bust.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Back in 2004 during the last coaching search the front runner for the job was Jacques Martin. I don't want Martin to be the next coach but I wonder if he'll get an interview. We had some threads about Martin back in 2004. The Rangers offered him the job and he choose to go to Florida with Mike Keenan.

Again, I don't want Martin to be the next coach but he might be a name to keep an eye on.....

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Realistcally, it will probably be AV...

Not Confident in Eakins at this point...

Would REALLY like to see Guy Boucher running the show... Like the 1-3-1 system and how it works with our speed guys for transitioning out of the zone.

I'm pretty sure Gretz, Mess, and Ruff are out...

Who else am I forgetting?

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Brett Cyrgalis mentioned that Lindy Ruff built a great resume during his time with Buffalo. What exactly is he basing that comment on? Being there 14+ years? Isn't that more an example of staying power more so than success?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Brett Cyrgalis mentioned that Lindy Ruff built a great resume during his time with Buffalo. What exactly is he basing that comment on? Being there 14+ years? Isn't that more an example of staying power more so than success?

Ruff did accomplish a lot with less resources. Not sure why people are bashing Ruff. Because he didn't win a Cup? His teams hit bad luck in the years they were the higher seeds. Their defenses just couldn't stay healthy and the ownership was too cheap to get him the depth pieces he needed.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Ruff did accomplished a lot with less resources. Not sure why people are bashing Ruff. Because he didn't win a Cup? His teams hit bad luck in the years they were the higher seeds. Their defenses just couldn't stay healthy and the ownership was too cheap to get him the depth pieces he needed.

No, I imagine the people who are not as high on Ruff as you are is basing that more on the fact that he missed the playoffs as many times as he made them in his 14+ seasons.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
At first I was dead against AV.

1 cup run, great regular season, and a lot of post season meltdowns. So I'm like, what's so spectacular about that? Right?

But then I got thinking.

This year and last year, would we have even beaten the West Conference teams if we did get to the SCF? The Devils beat us pretty good and LA plastered them; and this year The Caps beat themselves and Boston pimp slapped us.

Other than Tippet, AV does have the edge in knowledge of beating those teams if we can get that far. And Gorton & Clarke seem to be drafting us to resemble Boston and those West teams...Big, Fast, Agile, & Character.

I mean. The SC playoffs are a crap shoot no matter what when it comes to our Conference, but facing the ultimate road to a Cup win pretty much goes through Chi, Det, LA, or SJ and those teams have creamed us the past couple years we matched up against them in the regular season and their systems are top notch and executed very well by the personel.

Kris Chreider

Pass Off The Pads
Aug 17, 2012
NYC/Minneapolis
Small market team who consistently lost his good players? That doesn't count?

Drury, Tallinder, Briere all in a few years. NJ lost one forward who wasn;t even their best one, and didn't make the playoffs. Nashville lost their #2D, same thing. (injuries probably had something to do with it though) I don't think Ruff is to blame here, he had a few good runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad