Confirmed with Link: Head Coach Vacancy Pt III: How's your spelling? (Eakins/Vigneault/Messier/Gretzky)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
Kiss Hank's Swedish rear goodbye!

If that's the cae then so be it. I respect lundquist tremendously, but if losing him to FA can make this team a perennial contender then I say let him go. I would entertain trade proposals if I was the GM. Don't get me wrong, I would love for the rangers to win with lundquist but I want them to win, irregardless to who is the coach or who is on the team.

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
Here's some fun things inspired by the main board:

No coach since 1980 has won the Cup in anything later than his 4th year with a team, except Scotty Bowman, Glen Sather and Al Arbour. The point is that most coaches win early in their tenures, and Tortorella was past that.

Of those 23 coaches, Glen Sather, Jean Perron, Terry Crisp, Marc Crawford, Ken Hitchcock, John Tortorella, Randy Carlyle and Dan Bylsma were in their first NHL stint. Of those 8, only Dan Bylsma won it during his first year. My point here is that new coaches, without experience, can still win Cups.

Also, of the 15 coaches beyond their first NHL stint, only Scotty Bowman had won a Cup in a previous stint, and he won it on his second. My point on this one is that, just because a coach wasn't able to find ultimate success with one or two teams doesn't mean he can't find it elsewhere (talking about the "flaws" of Vigneault and Ruff not having won a Cup).

This is what I said in a different post about Gretzky. In regards to ruff though, he was in buffalo for a long time and didn't even sniff a championship

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I also saw Dreger on there yesterday. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say all of that was just his best guess? I wasn't really paying attention. I remember the Rangers were picked to go with Vigneault, I think Dallas with Ruff, and Maurice and Eakins were both considered possibilities for both Edmonton and I think Vancouver. Can't remember.

His choices as to where guys end up are his best guess, the Gretzky stuff came from Gretzky apparently, and he personally doesn't see them hiring Messier. Just another opinion, can take it work a grain of salt I suppose.

But it doesn't seem like anyone really thinks they will hire Messier.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Dreger's best guesses:
tsncoach.jpg

Pretty decent for all teams. Eakins would probably be the best fit for a young Edmonton team.

All I know is, as long as Gretzky and Messier are NOT coaching in any capacity, I'll be happy. Talk about a disaster waiting to happen.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If that's the cae then so be it. I respect lundquist tremendously, but if losing him to FA can make this team a perennial contender then I say let him go. I would entertain trade proposals if I was the GM. Don't get me wrong, I would love for the rangers to win with lundquist but I want them to win, irregardless to who is the coach or who is on the team.

perennial contender? :) without Lundqvist? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::shakehead:help:

nyrfan519

Jan 10, 2009
This is what I said in a different post about Gretzky. In regards to ruff though, he was in buffalo for a long time and didn't even sniff a championship

In 1999 Buffalo made it to the Stanley Cup Finals and lost to a stacked Dallas Stars team in six games, on the infamous Brett Hull crease goal. To me that qualifies as "sniffing" a championship.

Also, look at a guy like Claude Julien. Briefly coaches in Montreal (I think it was one full season that was sandwiched by parts of two others), gets fired, inexplicably gets fired in NJ after coaching a first place team for 95% of the regular season, then doesn't win a Cup in Boston until several seasons into his tenure there.

*Bob Richards*

2014: Suck for Sam (Reinhart)
2015: Crumble for Connor (McDavid)

2 #1 picks propelling the Rangers into legitimate contenders, only by blowing 2 seasons.

Or two huge draft busts. I can do this too.

Kershaw

Or two huge draft busts. I can do this too.

Highly unlikely with the scouting advancements in today's age.

#1 Forward picks post millenium marks haven't busted at all.

2001: Kovalchuk - Elite
2002: Nash - 1rst line forward
2004: Ovechkin - Elite
2005 - Crosby - Elite
2007 - Kane - Elite
2008 - Stamkos - Elite
2009 - Tavares- Elite
2010 - Hall - Elite
2011 - RNH - Too Early to tell
2012 - Yakupov - Too Early to tell

*Bob Richards*

Highly unlikely with the scouting advancements in today's age.

#1 Forward picks post millenium marks haven't busted at all.

2001: Kovalchuk - Elite
2002: Nash - 1rst line forward
2004: Ovechkin - Elite
2005 - Crosby - Elite
2007 - Kane - Elite
2008 - Stamkos - Elite
2009 - Tavares- Elite
2010 - Hall - Elite
2011 - RNH - Too Early to tell
2012 - Yakupov - Too Early to tell

Call me crazy, but I like our chances with the #1 goalie in the NHL over two draft picks. You're still assuming.

Kershaw

time for a rebuild

Call me crazy, but I like our chances with the #1 goalie in the NHL over two draft picks. You're still assuming.

I'd easily take any combination of those two over Lundqvist just my opinion.

Not just two draft picks lol. 2 #1 picks that can completely change the complexion of a franchise moving forward.

With Lundqvist, you have a player who is too good and too elite that he drags crap teams into the playoffs. Without Lundqvist, you'll have a crap team battling for #1. #1 picks in today's age guarantee a franchise player to build around. I would rather take my chances with #1 picks moving forward than have Lundqvist constantly drag mediocre teams into early playoff exits. Perpetual mediocrity.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
Not that it's inaccurate, but you can't imagine my shock that Kershaw ranks every pick as elite except the one who plays for our team.

*Bob Richards*

Not just two draft picks lol. 2 #1 picks that can completely change the complexion of a franchise moving forward.

With Lundqvist, you have a player who is too good and too elite that he drags crap teams into the playoffs. Without Lundqvist, you'll have a crap team battling for #1. #1 picks in today's age guarantee a franchise player to build around. I would rather take my chances with #1 picks moving forward than have Lundqvist constantly drag mediocre teams into early playoff exits. Perpetual mediocrity.

Or you know, we can have some patience, heal up and see how this new coach works with the team. Sounds a bit more level headed than trading potentially the greatest player in franchise history.

Kershaw

Not that it's inaccurate, but you can't imagine my shock that Kershaw ranks every pick as elite except the one who plays for our team.

Nash is a very mediocre #1 pick relative to the rest of the guys up there.

Kershaw

Or you know, we can have some patience, heal up and see how this new coach works with the team. Sounds a bit more level headed than trading potentially the greatest player in franchise history.

No more Kool-Aid.

This roster is far, far, far below the rosters of the current Final 4. This leads me to believe that the Rangers are many, many years away from competing.

Don't have any confidence in Sather building a winning roster. Post-lockout, he's put up very flawed teams every year with the exception of last season. An anomaly to his 13 yr blemish to this franchise.

Instead of drafting more Chris Kreiders and Michael Del Zottos like they have been, I'd much rather go for the John Tavares lite or Drew Doughty type.

Just my opinion, I don't think this roster, at it's current state, is built to win anything, anytime soon.

*Bob Richards*

Nash is a very mediocre #1 pick relative to the rest of the guys up there.

No argument there.

No more Kool-Aid.

This roster is far, far, far below the rosters of the current Final 4. This leads me to believe that the Rangers are many, many years away from competing.

Don't have any confidence in Sather building a winning roster. Post-lockout, he's put up very flawed teams every year with the exception of last season. An anomaly to his 13 yr blemish to this franchise.

Instead of drafting more Chris Kreiders and Michael Del Zottos like they have been, I'd much rather go for the John Tavares lite or Drew Doughty type.

Just my opinion, I don't think this roster, at it's current state, is built to win anything, anytime soon.

I'm really not sure what constitutes a "John Tavares" lite and I don't think it makes much sense to write Kreider off but I didn't expect anything else. Our roster might not be as talented as the remaining teams, but we did make it relatively far being absolutely hammered with injuries.

But I know you and I'm sure you know me by now, so I guess we'll be at a standstill. :)

Kershaw

No argument there.

I'm really not sure what constitutes a "John Tavares" lite and I don't think it makes much sense to write Kreider off but I didn't expect anything else. Our roster might not be as talented as the remaining teams, but we did make it relatively far being absolutely hammered with injuries.

But I know you and I'm sure you know me by now, so I guess we'll be at a standstill. :)

The comparison with Kreider and Tavares comes from the fact that the Rangers that season lost in the 1rst round to the Caps. The Isles on the other hand, absolutely blew the whole season. On draft day, the Isles walked away with John Tavares, a franchise altering move, while the Rangers picked up Kreider, an average pick in the 1rst round of the draft. Imagine if say Lundqvist got injured that year and the Rangers ended up in last lol. Add JT to this coup and they're pretty much contenders. This is what I'm trying to get at lol.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ

So get rid of the guy we haven't been able to build around in the last decade in the hopes to build around one or two new guys with the same owner/gm running things?

You should also understand that the hockey gods say we are not allowed to draft 1st OV. If we should somehow tank and get that pick run to Vegas and bet everything on NYR not having that pick after the draft lotto happens.

Kershaw

So get rid of the guy we haven't been able to build around in the last decade in the hopes to build around one or two new guys with the same owner/gm running things?

You should also understand that the hockey gods say we are not allowed to draft 1st OV. If we should somehow tank and get that pick run to Vegas and bet everything on NYR not having that pick after the draft lotto happens.

The hope is that a 30th place finish is finally enough for Dolan to sweep Sather and Co. out of management.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
This team never sucked enough to draft first overall with Dunham in net and a blueline that included Purinton, Mirinov, Malakhov and De Vries. I can't see them suddenly becoming the worst team in the league just because Lundqvist left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad