Confirmed with Link: Head Coach Vacancy Pt III: How's your spelling? (Eakins/Vigneault/Messier/Gretzky)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
When trying to find a successor to Ron Low, fired April 15 after two sub-.500 seasons, Sather sent a nine-page questionnaire to each prospective coaching candidate. Trottier, 45, faxed 40 handwritten pages of philosophical and psychological profiles to Sather. Then during other rare down time while in the playoffs as a Colorado Avalanche assistant, Trottier penned another 50 pages about the game's technical side.

It's determination when you can write 90 pages of handwritten notes and not find a spelling mistake. - Glen Sather

Continue here.

Last edited:

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Somehow I don't think we'll be able to get Babcock :P

Paul Maurice did a pretty damn good job with Zuccarello. I don't profess to be an expert at any of this, and it seems like there are better choices, but there are also worse ones too.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
AV is a great coach, but his #1 issue (I have watched him coach every single game) Is his adjustments.

He has literally no idea how 2 adjust on the fly OR during a series (say they are down 2-1).

AV also favors less talented players, and DOES gold grudges with players. (Example keith ballard, who was playing great hockey early in the year, and then out of nowhere sat him).

As a x/o type coach, he is very good, he runs a DEFENSIVE system that focuses on puck movement.

AV also hates young players, if a young kid makes a mistake he will sit him for weeks, It's one of his biggest critiques.

I think he would do a good job on the rangers, but he has some issues

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
dm_090603_nhl_melrose_commercial.jpg

Cool is the rule.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
AV is a great coach, but his #1 issue (I have watched him coach every single game) Is his adjustments.

He has literally no idea how 2 adjust on the fly OR during a series (say they are down 2-1).

AV also favors less talented players, and DOES gold grudges with players. (Example keith ballard, who was playing great hockey early in the year, and then out of nowhere sat him).

As a x/o type coach, he is very good, he runs a DEFENSIVE system that focuses on puck movement.

AV also hates young players, if a young kid makes a mistake he will sit him for weeks, It's one of his biggest critiques.

Sounds an awful lot like what we just got rid of....

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Somehow I don't think we'll be able to get Babcock :P

Paul Maurice did a pretty damn good job with Zuccarello. I don't profess to be an expert at any of this, and it seems like there are better choices, but there are also worse ones too.

The Rangers can do better than Paul Maurice. If that's the choice I'll puke....

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Like most of what I've heard about Eakins. I would prefer some new blood. But not too new. Aka not Pierre (yes I know he has some coaching experience) or Messier.

But with Sather this has Vigneault/Ruff/Messier written all over it.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Thinking about it, yeah, Boucher is easily one of my top choices. It's between him, Eakins, and Tippet.

Boucher is the easiest to tolerate out of Vigneault, Ruff, Boucher.

Still not great that he was fired from the TB job.

Hoping Tippett becomes available, but I really think he'd rather stay in Phoenix.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Sounds an awful lot like what we just got rid of....

The one thing tho AV is a master off is talking 2 the media.

he is a REALLY nice friendly guy, he won't piss anybody off, He will be kind polite, and even defend his players when need be (remember that bolland sister comments, AV went ham).

AV also has a tendency to say something really stupid (like the comments he made on hodgson's back) Which actually turned out true for hodgson, his back was ****ed.

AV would work magically with the NY media, he is the opposite of tortz.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012

Sounds like the perfect candidate. I'm getting worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad