OT: HBO 24/7 Discussion

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Well by episode 3 the F-bombs are starting to rain, I'm sure mindfly is pleased. :)

Good to see that ferocious, scary side of Babcock I think the hockey world knows is there and is wanting to witness. When he kicked the cameramen out in pt.2, "get the **** out of here..." man I was afraid he would snap and rip someones throat out. Intense is an understatement describing Babcock.

Cleary is a dweeb. On the bench for each goal against the Islanders he says "****", "oh ****", and "holy ****". Give it a break Danny boy. Trying to pump up the team in the locker room is a complete joke, I would laugh in his face.

Smith is not very bright. He doesn't have a clue when we play Boston next or who we are actually facing on the Western tour in January.

The holiday aspect of the series is enjoyable. I got a kick out of Alfredsson's family Christmas and especially JVR's. Playing hockey with the family on the day is a fun tradition. Lupul alone in NY was pretty cool. He is a unique, hip guy, I can only imagine how many girls he must have restraining orders against to keep from stalking him.

The last scene of part 3, Zetterberg walking forward and lacing up the skates on his pond...gave me shivers. That was so ****ing cool. Not playing in games this month, never skating on his pond in 3 years, the Winter Classic approaching- all these factors and he decides to shovel a rink and skate a bit, epic. You know he has money, not just the houses in the background, but the fact that he can afford to slap pucks without a net onto the lake and into oblivion! :laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well by episode 3 the F-bombs are starting to rain, I'm sure mindfly is pleased. :)

Cleary is a dweeb. On the bench for each goal against the Islanders he says "****", "oh ****", and "holy ****". Give it a break Danny boy. Trying to pump up the team in the locker room is a complete joke, I would laugh in his face.

Smith is not very bright. He doesn't have a clue when we play Boston next or who we are actually facing on the Western tour in January.

1.) They have gotten used to the cameras, that much is pretty clear, they don't care that they are around as much.

2.) This episode kind of showed what they talk about in Cleary and I think the guys do listen to him. We can debate his usefulness to the team and lord knows all of us don't want him here anymore, but this is exactly the Dan Cleary I expected in the series. He comes across well if you don't already hate his guts. He is trying to pump them up and talk the game of hockey and the other players seem to like him. He is the guy that remembers to welcome back DK, talks about what they need to do on ice and has Datsyuk laughing on the trainers table. He was actually beating himself up for the opening goal in my opinion, just like we all did.

I don't want Dan Cleary to be a Red Wing anymore, that doesn't make him an evil person and we shouldn't forget how much this guy loves the city a lot of us grew up loving and how much the team means to him. I just hope he is in the front office next year or on our coaching staff in GR or something.

3.) Smith knew we were in California and on the road a lot. I prefer he focuses on the near future. He isn't a dumb guy, he went the college route and is well spoken with the media. What does he care when he plays his brother next, he will know it when it is sooner to happening, hell he has the entire Olympic break when both he and Reilly can hang out and talk about their Boston game plans or what they want to do with their family then. By the way think the mom is a pretty big Wings fan from all of her interviews, not surprising given that Brendan was drafted first, but seems like she converted to that a while ago. They root for their kids, but I always get a sense when the interview her on FSD or in this that she started rooting for the Wings pretty hard the moment he was drafted, or maybe she was on the Reilly side of rooting while they were growing up when he was the lone Wings fan, mom protecting him from Dad, Rory and Brendan.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Good points TZE. You are describing the other 1/2 of the coin and I appreciate the insight.

I do respect Cleary and would love to meet him. I can't hate any Red Wing. It just seemed like in part 3 he was hamming it up more than usual because the cameras were rolling. He is a solid veteran and a warrior for real, that can never be denied.

True-Smith is not dumb, but he may be somewhat of an air-head. :laugh: I would agree his comments hint to the fact he does live more in the present moment, which is healthy. Mentioning their family made me think of the scene with Brendan and his parents talking. What a joy it must be to have a "bright-eyed" and sincerely good natured child in B. Smith.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Hockey players rarely look past the next day - is it a game day, a travel day, a practise day, or a rest day? Their life is just a blur of flights, bus rides, and hotel rooms interspersed with games of hockey.

JHaggis

Feb 12, 2012
Finland
5r5m8.gif

Quincey the star.
Quincey try to skate in airport :D

jhilly8982

Sep 15, 2012
The skating on the pond part?

I thought it felt forced too. I am willing to bet the producers arranged for the lake to be shoveled, his gear to be there and everything else. If not, what perfect timing, right?

Last edited:

Tonic

Jan 25, 2013
Does anybody have a link for episode 3? It looks like there was a pretty popular one on YouTube but it got taken down. I can't seem to find it on other sites either. Thanks!

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...Been a pleasure Red Wings fans. I enjoyed the shared TV series and Winter Classic immensely.

Yes, it's been perfect. Some fans have asked, "why can't we follow the players every day, all season?". That is a hilarious demand but it shows how special the players and staff are, the understanding of what is said behind the scenes is addictive.

We (DRW/TML) were raised to hate each other but not being in a conference together since 1993(?) there isn't much to feel. Even Lupul's crazy ass crosscheck that dislodged Eaves's jaw in the WC I believe from his reaction was unintentional, or at least he regretted it. I totally loved the game on the 21st of December in Toronto (which also went to shootout). There is so much class and skill from both clubs, makes me wonder what it will take to create a true rivalry in the 21st century.

Most importantly what I gathered from this HBO series is it's less about the "classic" battle between the organizations and more about the current players, coaches, GM's, trainers, etc. that make up the franchises. Michael-Liles being traded and the respect from his teammates, the father/son trip for the Wings, the entertaining look into the friendship of Bozak and Kessel was very amusing.

The series began and ended with children in a rink, the question/dream of being a hockey player and the answer to its meaning.

Fr. Episode 1- These days as much as ever before they want to be hockey players when they grow up. Because it's hockey that makes them believe in what just might be possible...

Fr Episode 4- The best thing about being a hockey player is a discovery impermeable to the passage of time, a realization every one of them comes to share. A sensation that endures whatever the game decides to put them through.

The best thing about being a hockey player is a phenomenon that emerges from a collection of connections, encompassing the very first figures who guided them onto the ice and the single-minded towers who never stop trying to make them better.

The best thing about being a hockey player is a feeling they rediscover every time they strike the puck, an understanding that propels them forward through every turn their paths may take. A truth ever apparent in the real life dreams their lives become.

The best thing about being a hockey player is in fact very simple. It's that being a hockey player is exactly what they always hoped it would be.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Like the Babcock skating skating with Brendan Smith at practice and telling him he's gotta quit doing stupid ****

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad