OT: HBO 24/7 Discussion

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I didn't hear him tell Tats he played well. I think he quote was "we get what we deserve. Keep your head up. Hanging it doesn't do any good. It's bad body language."

Could have been the cocktails and the people I was watching it with, but still feel like he is trying to foster a good relationship with him and has really started warming to him.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Could have been the cocktails and the people I was watching it with, but still feel like he is trying to foster a good relationship with him and has really started warming to him.
Makes sense to me. Tats has become one of the harder working guys, and Babcock just loves that.

As an aside, has anybody's opinion of Babcock changed because of 24/7 coverage? I have to say that it's portraying him in a favorable light. He comes across as a much savvier coach than Carlyle.

Last edited:

Number 9*

Looking forward to the next show after a few wins. Rehashing these losses is super painful!

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Makes sense to me. Tats has become one of the harder working guys, and Babcock just loves that.

As an aside, has anybody's opinion of Babcock changed because of 24/7 coverage? I have to say that it's portraying him in a favorable light. He comes across as a much savvier coach than Carlyle.

I agree. Randy comes across as almost bumbling sometimes while Babs seems to be much more deliberate and precise.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Yeah, I actually really like how Babcock carries himself. I've never doubted his ability to lead and motivate a team. Just some of his roster decisions/line-ups I have disagreement with.

Carlyle looks like an AWFUL coach, my god his players must hate him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Carlyle has been nothing but a total idiot on that program. That kind of coaching style doesn't work very long.

Like "we are not skating!" - Carlyle

And "where's the forecheck?" - Babcock

They are kind of thinking the same thing, but Babcock says it much more better way. Questions players to think. Not just yell them that We suck!

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Carlyle has been nothing but a total idiot on that program. That kind of coaching style doesn't work very long.

Like "we are not skating!" - Carlyle

And "where's the forecheck?" - Babcock

They are kind of thinking the same thing, but Babcock says it much more better way. Questions players to think. Not just yell them that We suck!

I didn't like Carlyle saying that it wasn't his job to motivate them. Really? That actually kind of seems like part of your job.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
When Ken Holland joined I knew there would be a couple minutes of clichés. Did not disappoint.

Aug 6, 2012
So far since watching 24/7, I've gained new respect for Babcock as a coach. He just gets it. Everything he says and does shows the winner in him. The kids may have rubbed off on him, I think part of why he's starting to play them more.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
So far since watching 24/7, I've gained new respect for Babcock as a coach. He just gets it. Everything he says and does shows the winner in him. The kids may have rubbed off on him, I think part of why he's starting to play them more.

Completely agree. Huge contrast between Carlyle and Babcock. The coach needs to rise above and be a leader. Carlyle seems to have a tendency to get frustrated and he starts getting petty and unfocused. Babcock, on the other hand, always seems like he understands the bigger picture regardless of what's happening on the ice at any given moment.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Babcock to me (a self appointed babs hater) appears to understand the long preseason is a marathon. Caryle doesn't. I feel if Caryle wasn't as confrontational and worked at little improvements from his players over a long term he would get more out of them. But he gets confrontational and I believe that just makes his players put there blinders on and tune him out.

Babs seems to eek a little here and there out of his individual players. That is very insightful to me. Because we have cemented leadership (compared to toronto) on our team that provides great examples to the younger players. So babs resorts to picking his spots with player developement and pick on specific things to fix and learn then pick something else to develope a individual.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Was it just me, or I wanted more, behind the scenes (outside of the game) scenes on the show.

Seemed like a long highlight reel of the last week with a few new shots. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it. But its been 2 episodes now. No interview with Zetterberg or Helm. How about their injuries and discussion on that topic. I know its not right to try to interview a guy after he is concussed. But maybe interview someone over the concussion protocol. Like the trainer after, and he can say what the tests are, and maybe how it goes etc.

I feel like finding out WHO won the games is a lot less fun, then

"mic'ed up scenes - players and coaches throughout the game
-locker room scenes
-post game celebration (can't wait for detriot's)
-General manager discussion on player movements etc.
etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad