Confirmed with Link: Hawks sign Schmaltz

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
I see Schmaltz capping out as a 35-40 point player, personally.

Hope Im underestimating him.

If Hudler is still available for cheap, Id take a run at him. He cant drive play, but his career average shooting percentage is insane. If Toews and Hossa can get him the puck, he'll score a bunch.

Schmaltz is pretty skilled, but it depends on the role he is expected to play... Skill-wise he is easily a 60-70 point player, however Q loves to use the 1st line as a "shut down" line so if Schmaltz slots in at 1st line LW he will be playing a 2-way game which will obviously limit his offensive production.

Obviously our real offensive line is the Panarin-AA-Kane line.

But like I said, skill-wise Schmaltz is a 60-70 point player...

I wouldn't mind Hudler either, however I'm sure Hudler is looking for something around 2-3 per and that may be too rich for Bowman...

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
Why?

Edit: I see him as 50-60 point player playing a two-way game with most years him scoring 50-55.

I agree with you.

If he plays LW a good comparison would be Saad.

I think he has 60-70 point potential but like you said he will be playing a 2-way game and that style will always hurt your offensive production a bit.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I agree with you.

If he plays LW a good comparison would be Saad.

I think he has 60-70 point potential but like you said he will be playing a 2-way game and that style will always hurt your offensive production a bit.

60 points would be his max. Remember 67 points gets you top 20. I don't think he is that good offensively.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
60 points would be his max. Remember 67 points gets you top 20. I don't think he is that good offensively.

In an offensive scenario he's going to have plenty of room and he has some skill - enough skill where if you give him room he will burn you.

I would be thrilled if he came in this fall and put up 50-60 points for the Hawks playing LW along side Toews....

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
I don't watch a ton of NHL hockey, but I see a lot of college hockey. It's hard to say who will be able to make that step up to the NHL. I've been wrong in both directions -- surprised by guys who made it and likely ones who didn't. So I can't predict Schmaltz's future. I can point out a few things, though:

1. He's the best passer I've seen in college in a couple decades. He sees seams all the way across the rink and gets the puck there. He should be on a line with someone who can really shoot the puck.

2. He'll look like he's floating, and people will see that as lazy, but he's just really smooth, I think. You need high energy guys, but not everyone has to have the high motor.

3. He strips a lot of pucks on the forecheck, even in seemingly low probability situations.

4. In his first year, there were hints of 1, a lot of 2, and not a ton of 3. But he was like a different player in year two. Will you see the uncertain first year player (it's not an easy transition) or the super skilled offensive star from year 2?

My guess (worth not much as noted above) is that in a few years you'll look back and think he was a steal in the draft, really a coup to add elite offensive talent that low in the first round.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
I don't watch a ton of NHL hockey, but I see a lot of college hockey. It's hard to say who will be able to make that step up to the NHL. I've been wrong in both directions -- surprised by guys who made it and likely ones who didn't. So I can't predict Schmaltz's future. I can point out a few things, though:

1. He's the best passer I've seen in college in a couple decades. He sees seams all the way across the rink and gets the puck there. He should be on a line with someone who can really shoot the puck.

2. He'll look like he's floating, and people will see that as lazy, but he's just really smooth, I think. You need high energy guys, but not everyone has to have the high motor.

3. He strips a lot of pucks on the forecheck, even in seemingly low probability situations.

4. In his first year, there were hints of 1, a lot of 2, and not a ton of 3. But he was like a different player in year two. Will you see the uncertain first year player (it's not an easy transition) or the super skilled offensive star from year 2?

My guess (worth not much as noted above) is that in a few years you'll look back and think he was a steal in the draft, really a coup to add elite offensive talent that low in the first round.

A lot of these are spot on, especially #1. He has some of the best vision, to go along with passing ability and poise, that I have ever seen. As to #4, it seems that the biggest adjustment in a player's career is minor/HS to college or juniors, then the other big adjustment is to the NHL. High scoring player's in the NCAA usually are immediately high scoring players in the AHL. The AHL adjustment seems to be the grind of a pro season and keeping it up over a longer period of time, rather than the actual level of play.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think he scores 13-21 in his first NHL season. 34 Points. As long as he doesn't play with a bunch of bums, which would be dumb on Q's part.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
A lot of these are spot on, especially #1. He has some of the best vision, to go along with passing ability and poise, that I have ever seen. As to #4, it seems that the biggest adjustment in a player's career is minor/HS to college or juniors, then the other big adjustment is to the NHL. High scoring player's in the NCAA usually are immediately high scoring players in the AHL. The AHL adjustment seems to be the grind of a pro season and keeping it up over a longer period of time, rather than the actual level of play.

Sounds like he'd be a perfect fit for Toews. Lord knows he needs someone who can feed him the puck in a good position. And on that note, keep him away from Hossa as far as possible.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
we are gunna sign Vesey then play toews with Vesey and Schamltz. This will be like the 70s line on the kings.

Toffoli-Carter-Pearson----Vesey-Toews-Schmaltz

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
This year, I'd guess

31 gp, 7g 9a

That makes zero sense at all. The Hawks aren't going to burn a year off his ELC to only use him occasionally....

He either makes the team and plays a full season, or the Hawks give him the 9 game look and assign him to Rockford.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
That makes zero sense at all. The Hawks aren't going to burn a year off his ELC to only use him occasionally....

He either makes the team and plays a full season, or the Hawks give him the 9 game look and assign him to Rockford.

If they assign him to Rockford he still burns a year off his ELC. Regardless of where he plays (Rockford/Chicago) since he already decided to leave school his ELC will begin next season.

Pokka would be a good example. He hasn't played a single game in the NHL and this is the last year of his ELC.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
depending on the age that you sign and the games you play your ELC extends or Tolls for 1 year. IE TT 1st year did not count. I think schmaltz is to old.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
I see Schmaltz capping out as a 35-40 point player, personally.

Hope Im underestimating him.

If Hudler is still available for cheap, Id take a run at him. He cant drive play, but his career average shooting percentage is insane. If Toews and Hossa can get him the puck, he'll score a bunch.

Forget Hudler. He will be looking 4M range, even 3 would seem strange. He was BRUTAL with FLA, brutal at the end. I can't see him signing with a 1 handle and that is what it would take. I don't think he is fast enough either for our style. I would pass on him.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
I think he scores 13-21 in his first NHL season. 34 Points. As long as he doesn't play with a bunch of bums, which would be dumb on Q's part.

Yeah I think he will have AA level finish around the net and be a better passer than AA. I see BK and JD talking pt projections. I would say he is a upper 40's player max in this league, unless he plays with Kane. We don't have a lot of snipers to finish off his stuff. Upper 40's I think is what he can get, higher if him and 19 can figure something out. But I just hope he can play in this league first and foremost. I would love 28 pts this year on 3rd line with kruger and hossa, maybe panik-kruger-schmaltz? Can a kid who never played an NHL game play #1 line competition, I don't think so, esp not at the start. Making the team and getting shifts and not being scratched is his first order of business, for all these guys.

I think the lineup will adjust as time goes on. The kids will be at the bottom and maybe get some PP time. As they stay solid they can move up. So let's not freak out if Hossa is on #1 line to start with Panik.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
depending on the age that you sign and the games you play your ELC extends or Tolls for 1 year. IE TT 1st year did not count. I think schmaltz is to old.

Correct he is too old. That's why I used pokka as a comparable. Both have/will play their first NA pro game at age 20

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Who are you to say that.. for all we know, he can get injured during the season too (god forbid).

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If nothing else I hope he helps infuse some more
youth into the lineup. Last I checked the Hawks are the 4th oldest team in the league

burd

Apr 19, 2007
I don't know how you predict with confidence that a college player will succeed in the NHL. Nick can dish the puck with the best of them--watch the third goal of the Championship game against Q, and you see how good his cross-ice vision is and how he can feather the puck. No question his D game really improved last year. Also, among college programs, UND prepares guys for the NHL about as well as any of them. But he was surrounded by one of the best rosters I've seen at UND in over 40 years watching Sioux hockey. It's a little hard to tell how he would have fared on a poor or mediocre team.

Not having any connection to the players or program at UND, I know nothing of his intensity level. He's focused, but in a low key way--the same way he plays. That how-bad-do-you-want-it factor must be a big one in determining success in the NHL. JT obviously has bushels of it. Hopefully, the environment in Chicago brings out the best in Nick. If he fits in, someone on his line is going to get a lot of scoring chances. It would be nice for us Sioux (Hawks) fans to have yet another reason to be Blackhawks fans.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I don't know how you predict with confidence that a college player will succeed in the NHL. Nick can dish the puck with the best of them--watch the third goal of the Championship game against Q, and you see how good his cross-ice vision is and how he can feather the puck. No question his D game really improved last year. Also, among college programs, UND prepares guys for the NHL about as well as any of them. But he was surrounded by one of the best rosters I've seen at UND in over 40 years watching Sioux hockey. It's a little hard to tell how he would have fared on a poor or mediocre team.

Not having any connection to the players or program at UND, I know nothing of his intensity level. He's focused, but in a low key way--the same way he plays. That how-bad-do-you-want-it factor must be a big one in determining success in the NHL. JT obviously has bushels of it. Hopefully, the environment in Chicago brings out the best in Nick. If he fits in, someone on his line is going to get a lot of scoring chances. It would be nice for us Sioux (Hawks) fans to have yet another reason to be Blackhawks fans.

One thing is for sure, his table is set. Let's hope he makes the most of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad