Confirmed with Link: Hawks sign Schmaltz

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Source says the Blackhawks have signed North Dakota F Nick Schmaltz. No contract details yet.

Friedman:
Some rumblings today that CHI signs Nick Schmaltz from UND. Neither team no advisor responding to texts

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Via Craig Morgan on Twitter- "Source says the Blackhawks have signed North Dakota F Nick Schmaltz. No contract details yet."

And he's a a writer out in Phoenix so clearly this has spead quickly.

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
Terrible signing another soft player that Stanley likes. i'd rather have a proven player like radulov.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Not a fan.. Teravainen lite.. Boesser is the real prospect.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Seriously...this means he puts us into more "bonus cap issues for 2017/18 IF he achieves them....but he will not get big points playing at 3C or on 4th line depending on the Q trust level..but IF they decide to TT him all over the place but this time he succeeds at LW when tried with Toews...then maybe he can reach the bonus highway er MA rks and put us right back into the pickle next year.
BUT if he does not get to those levels it means he did not impact much and some will question why he did not get AHL experience. ..Also this probably means they are out on the Vesey thing because no way would they put themselves in double bonus jeopardy for next year in the unlikely event Both might reach the.max bonus impact levels..They would not take that kind of cap risk...well ...Maybe if they trade CC ...but otherwise...no way they would dare risk Tha t bonus cap future problem for 2017/18 ...

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Lol that (possibly) signing their first rounder who had a great season would be met with criticism. Some of you are just insufferable.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
For those of you complaining that this is a bad signing - would you have preferred to not sign him and get nothing for the 2014 1st round pick? C'mon!

He isn't big but he has top-6 skills. Maybe he needs a year or 2 in Rockford or maybe he has the guts that TT didn't have and he makes the Hawks out of camp. Either way it's better than seeing him complete 4 years at NDak and have him walk and the Hawks get nothing out of another 1st round pick.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I think this signing is a mix of two things.

1) Bowman and Quenneville think Nick is ready to play with the big boys, maybe he is the 3rd liner or he plays with Toews, who knows.

2) Bowman didn't want to take risk of losing him, reports say that he was closer to play in UND than in Chicago, so they traded TT with Bickell to create cap space and a spot for Schmaltz.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Schmaltz will be a stud for Chicago. So glad this kid signed this year. Now go get Vesey please. He'll break this team out of camp imo.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I think this signing is a mix of two things.

1) Bowman and Quenneville think Nick is ready to play with the big boys, maybe he is the 3rd liner or he plays with Toews, who knows.

Schmaltz' table is ready, he's probably ready, great news! Schmaltz' game will be far better served going pro and hopefully w/the Hawks, than staying another year at ND.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
First, hilarious that some people are criticizing this. By standard NCHC to NHL projections, he could be a 40 point guy in the NHL now.

Second, do you guys think he's a 3C or a 1LW? I could see him fitting into either role.

Him on the third line (over someone like Kero, Ras, Hinostroza, or McNeill) should help the team put together a better secondary scoring line.

However, the biggest question is, can he play center in a Quenneville system? LW would be the easier adjustment, and come with much less responsibility (which would hopefully mean Q would be less likely to bench him for multiple periods after a small gaffe.)

migi

Feb 25, 2015
If we could get our hands in to Vesey, our top-9 would look fantastic. Schmaltz, Shaw and mr. X would be great 3rd line. Not to mention it would leave Krüger, Desjardins and Lundberg (I really think he is going to make the team) to 4th line.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Schmaltz will be a stud for Chicago. So glad this kid signed this year. Now go get Vesey please. He'll break this team out of camp imo.

WELL ...every 1st rounder is touted as a "stud" on these boards by the rose-colored glasses crowd Before he plays a game for us and before Q decides he cannot trust the kid and banishes him to limited minutes and lesser roles or to Rockford..

ALSO the RCGC annointed Tuomo Ruutu a "stud" ..McNeill was a "stud" also annointed..as was Kyle what's his name ..and then Danault and Hartman ...all were supposed to be studs...Maybe we ought 5o wait and see ...
Not as if Schmaltz ever scored 20 goals let alone 30 in his NCAA time...yes assists were there but if he is a 3C who is going to score off his passes with thise mediocrity es we will put on the wing there...and if they use him with Toews on a wing there on line#1 then is Toews really going to get more than the 28-30 range he has plateaued at plus a lot more assists because Schmaltz suddenly finds he can shoot pucks past goalies with regularity?PLEASE ...calling Schmaltz a "stid" at thus stage is premature. ..let us wait and see before we annoint him as Saviour ...Do not put the KOD on the kid with the "stud" moniker..Put it this way..he is so far off tge stud ness of a Kane or a Panarin (now ( that he would have to take giant leaps in development progression to get to stud levels like those two...And given Q's failure (except with Saad who was a perfect power forward to compliment Toews) to develop anyone to do anything at stud level (Q had zero to do with Panarin developing into an pact stud) I would be hard-pressed tp place a bet on Schmaltz turning into a "stid" ...so.let us hold off on the superlatives until it gets PROVEN to us...Anyway doubtful he becomes a stud unless they put him.between Panarin and Kane ...THEN any C would look like a stud on that line .

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I'm happy they'll have another high skill option. I hope he's able make the jump, so tough to project players.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
Chris Hine ‏@ChristopherHine 1m1 minute ago
A source says the Teravainen trade helped push Schmaltz to leave North Dakota early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad