Confirmed with Link: Hawks sign Schmaltz

southernbeardown54

Apr 23, 2012
Good now move Crawford, bring back Ladd and Shaw, get a cheap backup goalie and a cheap vet defenseman and the team is set:

Ladd-Toews-Schmaltz
Panik-Shaw-Kane
Panarin-Anisimov-Hossa
Desjardins-Kruger-Motte/Hartman

Keith-Seabrook
Kempny-Hjalmarsson
Gus/cheap vet-TVR

Darling
cheap vet

Worth taking the risk with that goalie combo to obtain maximum Champion caliber roster depth up and down the lineup? Yes.

No other options(other than Seabrook, which weakens the defense too much) as far as big $$ contracts go. Gotta clear the space or else Crawford will be backing a 3 line team. We all know how that ended in 2014. And look at this years champ the Penguins, they got by without anything/anyone spectacular in net because their forward depth/speed/firepower/corsi domination was too much for anyone else to handle. The Hawks MUST go back to this winning formula.

Good grief guys stop with wanting Ladd back. he isnt a great fit here in top six he wasnt good with toews and he is wrong side of 30. wants huge money its such an awful idea i just dont get this constant push...especially at the expense of our goalie???? reminds me of mike from the office...god no please no god NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Ladd makes no sense at anything close to what he's expected to sign for. He's going to get one last big contract and it shouldn't be from the Hawks. He's going to get a Kesler type deal, maybe a little under that.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Next move prediction: Bowman finally decides to answer his phone on the 110th call in 3 days from Semin's agent. Semin is absolutely begging to revive his NHL career in Chicago, and is willing to take a Panarin-like deal to do it.

Semin busts his ass in the offseason/training camp, and earns the spot next to Toews and Hossa. Semin has a 55+ point season (not enough for big bonuses), and the Hawks get another Russian point producer for less than $900,000.

Haha dreams...

Semin is not eligible for bonuses like that.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
I refuse to read negative messages about this signing..

My dream lineup

Vesey-Toews-Schmaltz
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Shaw-Kruger-Hossa
Panik-Hinostroza-Hartman/Desjardins

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Campbell
TVR-Kempny

Crawford
Darling

- Campbell signs for 1.0M with 2.5M of bonuses that can be attainable.. hello overage in 2017/2018 but solid team for 2016

Either you aren't carrying a 7th defenseman or Shaw is signing for just under 2.5. Neither of which seem terribly likely, even in dream scenarios.

B4rre

Jan 17, 2014
Bickell didn't have a NMC. And I thought AA has a M-NTC, but that was apparently wrong. Perhaps his agent asked for the NMC for next year to not get stuck in LV. I understand SB for accepting that request if that was the case. No reason not to if Stan planned to keep him for the much of the duration of the contract.

I stand corrected on Bicks. It was only NTC.

If AA's NMC is only for the next season I'm fine with it.

FinnFan8

Expert Thread-Killer
Dec 7, 2015
SF, CA
WELL ...every 1st rounder is touted as a "stud" on these boards by the rose-colored glasses crowd Before he plays a game for us and before Q decides he cannot trust the kid and banishes him to limited minutes and lesser roles or to Rockford..

ALSO the RCGC annointed Tuomo Ruutu a "stud" ..McNeill was a "stud" also annointed..as was Kyle what's his name ..and then Danault and Hartman ...all were supposed to be studs...Maybe we ought 5o wait and see ...
Not as if Schmaltz ever scored 20 goals let alone 30 in his NCAA time...yes assists were there but if he is a 3C who is going to score off his passes with thise mediocrity es we will put on the wing there...and if they use him with Toews on a wing there on line#1 then is Toews really going to get more than the 28-30 range he has plateaued at plus a lot more assists because Schmaltz suddenly finds he can shoot pucks past goalies with regularity?PLEASE ...calling Schmaltz a "stid" at thus stage is premature. ..let us wait and see before we annoint him as Saviour ...Do not put the KOD on the kid with the "stud" moniker..Put it this way..he is so far off tge stud ness of a Kane or a Panarin (now ( that he would have to take giant leaps in development progression to get to stud levels like those two...And given Q's failure (except with Saad who was a perfect power forward to compliment Toews) to develop anyone to do anything at stud level (Q had zero to do with Panarin developing into an pact stud) I would be hard-pressed tp place a bet on Schmaltz turning into a "stid" ...so.let us hold off on the superlatives until it gets PROVEN to us...Anyway doubtful he becomes a stud unless they put him.between Panarin and Kane ...THEN any C would look like a stud on that line .

I'm going to be using this term frequently from now on. Like mini-studs...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I said this once the trade happened. Made too much sense.

Jay Zawaski also said people within the organization (players, coaches, management) weren't happy with how he was spending his off-seasons. They wanted him to stay in Chicago and work with their training staff, but he chose to go home instead and play golf.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Jay Zawaski also said people within the organization (players, coaches, management) weren't happy with how he was spending his off-seasons. They wanted him to stay in Chicago and work with their training staff, but he chose to go home instead and play golf.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-teravainen-summer-rookie-20140822-story.html

“The gym has been my home this summer,†Teravainen said Friday via phone from Toronto, where he is participating in the 2014 NHLPA Rookie Showcase. “I’m working with (Hawks strength coach Paul Goodman). I feel a lot stronger right now.â€

Teravainen arrived in Chicago just prior to the Hawks’ Prospect Camp in mid-July and has set up shop there in an effort to gain strength and size to aid his bid for a roster spot for the 2014-15 NHL season. Under Goodman’s tutelage, Teravainen has been working out five days a week (“he says what to do and I do itâ€) to increase body mass which will help combat the rigors of playing in the NHL.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-teravainen-summer-rookie-20140822-story.html

“The gym has been my home this summer,†Teravainen said Friday via phone from Toronto, where he is participating in the 2014 NHLPA Rookie Showcase. “I’m working with (Hawks strength coach Paul Goodman). I feel a lot stronger right now.â€

Teravainen arrived in Chicago just prior to the Hawks’ Prospect Camp in mid-July and has set up shop there in an effort to gain strength and size to aid his bid for a roster spot for the 2014-15 NHL season. Under Goodman’s tutelage, Teravainen has been working out five days a week (“he says what to do and I do itâ€) to increase body mass which will help combat the rigors of playing in the NHL.
Timonen 2015

“He’s got a long way to go,†Timonen told The Canadian Press of Teravainen. “He’s a skinny guy, so he’s got to start lifting weights and doing that. … I told him, ‘This summer, you’ve got to make sure you work out.

“Golf is not a workout.'â€

Timonen expanded on his thoughts in that interview as well.

“He can be a superstar in this league,†Timonen said back then. “But it’s still in the process that he’s got to realize, ‘OK, I’ve got to make sure summer I work out every day, and I’ve got to watch these guys how they prepare for the games like (Joathan) Toews and (Patrick) Kane and (Duncan) Keith and these guys.'â€

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I thought TT went back home this summer because he had to do military duty..Maybe they allow you to pkay golf in the affternoon after completing a strenuous morning shift of military duty? I do not buy the unhappy with his summer work excuse as to why they traded him...The point is that next year the currently still kid at 21 is up for a new contract and IF say he busted forth tjis season to 50 points or more That means a $5 million contract or offer sheet and so Hawks simply could not have cap room going forward to keep him at that price risk...Also if he failed to progress this season his trade value plummets for next summer if they try dealing him then
.So to avoid both these risks and to facilitate dumping the Bickell contract,TT was th sweetener..and I doubt even if he plays some golf this summer that such a thing would be tge main cause of dealing him...after all..look at the Mess and PR Hell Kane put the Hawks Brand through last summer ...after nd Kane was working our in bars late night wasn't he..after nd nd yet they kept Kane and instead got rewarded.So tge golf excuse doesn't wash ..It was entirely for cap reasons now and for next year!

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
CapFriendly @CapFriendly
#CapFriendly CONFIRMED
Nick Schmaltz #Blackhawks
3yr ELC @ $925,000 cap hit
+ 'A' Bonuses
$350K in 2016-17
$650K in 2017-18
$850K in 2018-19

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he has every opportunity to start in the NHL regardless if we sign Vesey of another vet.

I hope he is mature enough to handle the pressure and the grind of the season as I don't really want to see an up and down bus ride season for him...I think that usually dooms most prospects when they get bounced up and down like that.

either keep his butt in the AHL for a full year and let him learn the pro game, or do what St Louis did with Fabbri and give him a legit shot with solid line mates to produce all season long.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
he has every opportunity to start in the NHL regardless if we sign Vesey of another vet.

I hope he is mature enough to handle the pressure and the grind of the season as I don't really want to see an up and down bus ride season for him...I think that usually dooms most prospects when they get bounced up and down like that.

either keep his butt in the AHL for a full year and let him learn the pro game, or do what St Louis did with Fabbri and give him a legit shot with solid line mates to produce all season long.

+infinity

Schmaltz should (will?) be given every opportunity to stick. Unless he craps the bed, I don't see him playing for Rockford.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
If we strike out on Vesey I hope Schmaltz can be the guy that can fill the LW void next to Toews.

I would still like to see the Hawks bring Versteeg back on a cheap contract because he would be good depth to have... He can play top 6 LW or fill it in case of emergency...

It certainly wouldn't hurt the team to have a guy like Versteeg.

Of course Vesey is my #1 choice at first line LW but I would be thrilled if we signed Versteeg and Vesey... I would call that a productive summer with the adds of Campbell, Kempny, Vesey, Versteeg and Tootoo and maybe bring Schmaltz or Hartman into the mix as well.

If Stan plays he cards right on the LW issue the Hawks could be a real force next season 110+ points and clear Cup favorites.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I see Schmaltz capping out as a 35-40 point player, personally.

Hope Im underestimating him.

If Hudler is still available for cheap, Id take a run at him. He cant drive play, but his career average shooting percentage is insane. If Toews and Hossa can get him the puck, he'll score a bunch.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Just everything I've seen of him, plus what his junior and minor league stats project to on aggregate.

He's not a bad player by any means, I just dont see him being a significant impact player.

But like I said, hope Im underestimating him. If he ends up a 50-60 point player, Ill buy his jersey.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Just everything I've seen of him, plus what his junior and minor league stats project to on aggregate.

He's not a bad player by any means, I just dont see him being a significant impact player.

But like I said, hope Im underestimating him. If he ends up a 50-60 point player, Ill buy his jersey.

Fair enough.

FYI his college stats project him to score at a rate that is a step below Toews. His comparable would be TJ Oshie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad