Hawks Prospects at WJC

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Score was 4-2 fir Cabada ...but 2 very controversial replay calls. ..Both went Canada 's way...A Cdn goal was ruled in pn the ice by ref ..but review was extremely close in that Cdn player had a foit behind tge goal line and it was bang bang whether net was off as puck crossed the line ..Even if net still on the pegs the Cdn player had his skate touch the goalie's pad then he went crashing into the net knocking bit boffins. .One might have called goalie interference even if they ruled against net being off by tge timebitbcrisded the line ..In any case,it was slot second from being called the bother way ..but since they called no goalie interference I guess that net stayed on by a slitvtenthbofva second..mthat close to a non-goal that but could easily have so been called.

The 2nd controversial call robbed Finland of a goal as a Cdn player swept the puck outvafterbitblooked that it might have crossed the line. ..To me it looked in ..but I guess they ruled that while the hand was definitely behind the goal line they could not see if the puck gad fully crossed the line when it got swept out ...Since the ruling on the ice was no goal they could not definitely determine if all the puck went over the line ..

Thus in both cases Canada won the controversy ...getting a goal by a split tenth of a second before the net came off and by not being 200% certain the entire puck had crose the line before it got swept back out by a Canada player on that denial of a Finland score..So by a whisker in both cases Canada getscavgoal amd saves a goal. .Score easily could have been 3-3 with an OT ..but the hockey gods gave Finland no breaks on those 2 controversial reviews.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I do not think Jokiharju was on for any of the 4 goals Cabada scored on Finland
...I thought he played very well I the game ..sure he scored that point shot pp goal ..right from the middle of the blue line .not from the point sides as most Hawks Dmen alwayscshoitnit together blocked..His shot did get deflected by A Canada player and did change direction. .still you have to credit getting a shot through from the blue line ...HE LATER in the 3rdbperiod HAD another shot from the blue line get through on net and there was a rebound but the Finn we forwards could not get to it to bang it past Hart ..But we see some evidence he can get shots through from the blue line in the o-zone. .There was a play where he took the puck deep on a pp and made a play with the puck dishing into the area in front 9f the crease..but again Finnish forwards coukd not concert on a bang bang play ..But there bis evidence he can generate scoring chances when he decides to take then puck in deep.Notevtgat he only played 2nd pp unit ..Probably a mistake by Finland. .ge shoukd be getting 1st PP time given his abilities for point shots getting though ..for pasding on the tape .and his vision for setting up ...Probably better than what I saw from the first Finland pp unit Dmen ...

Defensively I thought he played very well..only saw 1 shift where he turned bt over. ..and the few shifts he got caught in a bit too deep or the gap was off, he made recoveries to cut off the transition chances developing ..I think he payed better than any of the bother Finland Dmen I saw in this game ..And as I said. I do not think he was on for Finland on any of the 4 Canadian goals scored on them.So I wad quite pleased with his game today .

I recall 2 outstanding hustle plays he made defending that cut off scoring chances...One early I the game his d-partner got beat and he came alk the way Ober from the right side to the left boards to cut off the rusher and killed the potential chance developing ...another came in the 3rd period when he himself into ally got best allowing a 2 on 1 to develop but he hustled bavk into the play to get a stick on the eventual shot taker and prevent a shot getting on net ..So I liked his hustle and recovery abilities. .In general I also liked how he got to loose pucks and either skatedbitboutnor cleared..very very good against the forecheck as he gets pucks out easily and competently. .Also.made many passes out right on the tape ..better than the bother Finland Dmen ..to.my eyes...In ll I thought he was Finland's best dman this game .

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
It's all relative sir. It's difficult when you are trying to compete with guys 3 or more inches taller and 25+ lbs heavier with elite-like skills

I know, I know. Size means nothing in today's game. :sarcasm:
Size isn’t nothing. Obviously with similar skill sets you take the bigger player. Victor mete won player of the game tonight for Canada. What a smurf he is. A smurf is like 5’8.. not 5’11 is my point.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
TEH is Mitchell better than people in Canada's top 7 d?

I think Mitchell is a stud but maybe Canada is just that deep?

Jokiharju had his head up the whole time....think he has time to teach Keith? Well in one replay it looks that way and in the other I can't tell.

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
TEH is Mitchell better than people in Canada's top 7 d?

I think Mitchell is a stud but maybe Canada is just that deep?

Jokiharju had his head up the whole time....think he has time to teach Keith?

After reviewing their roster, I think I may have been a slight homer. They have some nice depth at the position this year, just no one that stands out like a major star on their blue line. I think the last few spots were between him and Mahura and then Fabbro got healthy and Mahura beat out Mitchell

Reactions: BK

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Sorry to double post, I still think the Hawks should take the overager Polodyan in the draft. He reminds me of Altybarmakyan a little. I think he is a better skater but alty has the better shot.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
After reviewing their roster, I think I may have been a slight homer. They have some nice depth at the position this year, just no one that stands out like a major star on their blue line. I think the last few spots were between him and Mahura and then Fabbro got healthy and Mahura beat out Mitchell

I think Mitchell was fairly edged out this year but he should be in strong consideration next year.

And yeah, there is nothing relative about a 5'11 d-man being a "smurf" or not. They aren't. Period. Full stop.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Sounds like Jokiharju is impressing. 37 PTS in 31 games in juniors, looks like he may double his point total from last year. Another steal in the making.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Sounds like Jokiharju is impressing. 37 PTS in 31 games in juniors, looks like he may double his point total from last year. Another steal in the making.
I think he's maybe a year or two out--like needing a season at the AHL level beyond his WHL career before he breaks into the lineup. That being said, I think he deserves as good of a shot as any for being part of the next group (and should not be a "sweetener" in any deal with his play sight-unseen at the pro level). Unless my math is off, his RFA should be coming up right about when Keith and Seabrook ship out.

Now, if his play falls off like, say, Morin or Pirri's, then by all means try to maximize value via a trade. But IMHO Forsling, Rutta (if he doesn't price out), and possibly guys like Snuggie and The Joker should be being groomed for the post Keith/Seabrook era.

Reactions: LDF

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think Mitchell was fairly edged out this year but he should be in strong consideration next year.

And yeah, there is nothing relative about a 5'11 d-man being a "smurf" or not. They aren't. Period. Full stop.

I haven't seen Mitchell play, so just going by what I read. One scouting report has Mitchell listed as 5-10 and 165 lbs... others have him stretched to 5-11 and 170. Hopefully, he's still growing but plays rather small it seems, which is likely the reason he is not on Team Canada:

"Mitchell has very smooth pivots and edge work. He can transition from offence to defence quickly (and vice-versa). His lateral agility is also very good. This allows Mitchell to stay in front of the puck carrier, as well as to move and open up shooting and passing lanes. Mitchell needs to bulk up though. His lack of muscle mass allows bigger, stronger forwards to push him off the puck and give him issues in containing the cycle."

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think he's maybe a year or two out--like needing a season at the AHL level beyond his WHL career before he breaks into the lineup. That being said, I think he deserves as good of a shot as any for being part of the next group (and should not be a "sweetener" in any deal with his play sight-unseen at the pro level). Unless my math is off, his RFA should be coming up right about when Keith and Seabrook ship out.

Now, if his play falls off like, say, Morin or Pirri's, then by all means try to maximize value via a trade. But IMHO Forsling, Rutta (if he doesn't price out), and possibly guys like Snuggie and The Joker should be being groomed for the post Keith/Seabrook era.
i like your analysis on the future of the Bhawks, i still would like to add more to that mix. it never hurts to have more bodies to ensure the continue growth.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I haven't seen Mitchell play, so just going by what I read. One scouting report has Mitchell listed as 5-10 and 165 lbs... others have him stretched to 5-11 and 170. Hopefully, he's still growing but plays rather small it seems, which is likely the reason he is not on Team Canada:

"Mitchell has very smooth pivots and edge work. He can transition from offence to defence quickly (and vice-versa). His lateral agility is also very good. This allows Mitchell to stay in front of the puck carrier, as well as to move and open up shooting and passing lanes. Mitchell needs to bulk up though. His lack of muscle mass allows bigger, stronger forwards to push him off the puck and give him issues in containing the cycle."

I'm guessing that report is from prior to this season? He is at Denver developing and playing against many older and more physically developed players on a weekly basis and doing so quite well. I'm not arguing that he should have been on this CAN roster this year, or that he didn't need to improve his strength and frame (how many 18 year old don't, for that matter) just more taking to task the blanket statement of someone 5'10 or 5'11 being a "smurf" and inference by many that that results in not being able to play at the next level. You didn't say that, and I'm not claiming you did, but it tends to be part and parcel with many people when talking about size and NHL potential. Simple fact is the game is evolving to d-men who excel at things that keep d-zone time at minimum; speed, quickness, intelligence, vision, passing ability/puck skills. If you're 6-2 and can do all of that, all the better, but it's hardly a prerequisite to NHL success.

Reactions: SAADfather

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
i like your analysis on the future of the Bhawks, i still would like to add more to that mix. it never hurts to have more bodies to ensure the continue growth.

Always good to have more bodies, but here's what the 'hawks re up against. In 2020 we have 54.591M in cap tied up. Seabs, Keith, Crawford, Toews, Kane, and Anisimov have NMC's of a sort. Saad, El Gato, and Murph don't. El Gato is also on an ELS, so that's a bonus.

Everyone else expires prior--meaning a resign if they're valuable which means more cap spent. By 2023 Saad, Ani, El Gato, Murph, and Crawford will have expired, and the number only drops to 33.4M

If the 'hawks need to add more for said transition, they'll want to get guys like El Gato/Forling now: On ELC's with good upside. Snuggie and The Joker fit. IMHO that means good drafting and not trading out good picks. Between now and then we're not going to have much cap to play with, so we'll have to go young, cheap, and unproven over established and expensive barring a major core move.

The real question moving forward is how much this core has left. Can they eek out another major cup run with attainable pieces, the right coaching, etc? The window could be closed. If it is, IMHO it's ill-advised to push for that one ethereal piece that will suddenly turn the core from goat urine to gasoline, and mortgage the future.

Reactions: ColdSteel2 and LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Always good to have more bodies, but here's what the 'hawks re up against. In 2020 we have 54.591M in cap tied up. Seabs, Keith, Crawford, Toews, Kane, and Anisimov have NMC's of a sort. Saad, El Gato, and Murph don't. El Gato is also on an ELS, so that's a bonus.

Everyone else expires prior--meaning a resign if they're valuable which means more cap spent. By 2023 Saad, Ani, El Gato, Murph, and Crawford will have expired, and the number only drops to 33.4M

If the 'hawks need to add more for said transition, they'll want to get guys like El Gato/Forling now: On ELC's with good upside. Snuggie and The Joker fit. IMHO that means good drafting and not trading out good picks. Between now and then we're not going to have much cap to play with, so we'll have to go young, cheap, and unproven over established and expensive barring a major core move.

The real question moving forward is how much this core has left. Can they eek out another major cup run with attainable pieces, the right coaching, etc? The window could be closed. If it is, IMHO it's ill-advised to push for that one ethereal piece that will suddenly turn the core from goat urine to gasoline, and mortgage the future.
another excellent point, i really have no faith in the present coaching staff to eek out another cup run, no matter how much of a fan i was to be.

now any trade, ok minor ones, needs to have more draft picks coming back.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Yup, Jokiharyu scored from the middle of the blue line on a point shot, somewhere that you rarely see Hawks D-men try to get to.

Keith would rather plant his feet near the boards and blindly shoot the puck in to the pads of the other teams' defenders.

Keith won't score 5 goals this year. Hell... the way he's looking he might not score 1.

Why Q trots him out on the first unit I'll never know. He doesn't belong on either unit. Forsling on one and kempny/oesterle on the other please. But we'll never see it.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Jokiharju and the Finns upset in the first round by the Czechs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad