Hawks Prospects at WJC

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Jokiharju will probably make Finland but they have so many good D he might not play a big role
Should be a heck of a year for Finland

Soderlund (SWE), Galvas (CZE), and Krys (USA)

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
As I posted,Krys with 14 pts in 17 GP for BU has more offensive production than several of the selections on D to USA preliminary roster (they selected 28 players,5 to be cut ...so somebofvthe D-men selected for final evaluation will be cut anyway...hard to imagine they could be better than Krys..but if USA falters in offense from the back end in this tournament then questions about not inviting Krys to the preliminary d-group and to the final squad WILL be asked..Again ...Maybe they did not like his -4 stat (last year it finished +7 ...so maybe they saw a bit of decline in defensive comittment?Whatever..he was rejected .

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The Finland d-corps selections to their preliminary roster include both Henri Jokiharju and Roope Laavainen ...but there are plenty of first rounders of other teams also on that preliminary roster..stacked ..so it may be hard for both of these 2 Hawks draftees to crack their final WJHC lineup ...Maybe 1 of them will make it ....if that is the case it probably woukd be Jokiharju based on the fact he is a 1st rounder and beings offense and pp ability ...Laavainen being a later round pick has lo ger odds to make it ..but I guess it depends on how they see their pp QB Dmen as to if Jokiharju makes the final cut ...Probably Olli Juolevi and Miro Heiskanen are going to be manning the 1st team pp points for Finland ...though not sure who isvthe RD since Juolevi shots Left and Heiskanen shots Right but they might playing their offside on the pp unit since if memory serves me Juolevi manned tge RD on the London pp when he played in the OHL...but Heiskanen shoots Right and could play that RD POINT and then they could put Juolevi at LD on their pp ...but either way no top pp role for Jokiharju this tournament ...so probably difficult for hom to make the team as they probably go for older guys and or guys more suited for defensive shutdown roles...IF either Jokiharju or Laavainen makes the C's quad it is probably as 7th dman .
.not as a starter...them it depends on whether they want their 7th dman to be pp insurance in case of injury to a starter on the pp ...or if they prefer an older bigger guy more suited to a defensive role in case of injury to a starter in such a shutdown role.
Bit it is posible both our guys do not make final cut....that is how deep and good are thise others named to their preliminary d-corps for the tournament ..
On the other hand...if they see a lack of upfront firepower this tine,they coukd try to win getting offense from the D...that helps the case for Jokiharju . SO we shall see what happens.

Last edited:

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Well DCat got passed up and he looks pretty good. Obviously I'd rather see Krys make the team, or at least be on the preliminary roster, but it seems like he's having a very good season at BU so I'll chalk it up to another in a long list of confusing decisions from USA hockey for now.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He was a last cut out. Cat was also said to of had been lackluster in their camp.

The team might put a lot of stock into their camp performances to pick team selections and carry that over to future decisions

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
He was a last cut out. Cat was also said to of had been lackluster in their camp.

The team might put a lot of stock into their camp performances to pick team selections and carry that over to future decisions
when there is a whole camp of unknowns, wouldn't it be best to judge them on their performance in camp ??

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
when there is a whole camp of unknowns, wouldn't it be best to judge them on their performance in camp ??
It has value, but they're not unknowns. They all are invited generally being guys closely watched for years of their careers. It's mentioned with Krys that being a factor about him too since he was formerly considered top notch but didn't live up to their expectations the past couple years.

I just happened to remember this about what htey said about Dcat because the same was applied in Chicago's camp this summer and even last years prospect camp. Cat didn't look great in any of them and he's not really a guy whose talent would seem to shine in camps and drills opposed to actual playing.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
It has value, but they're not unknowns. They all are invited generally being guys closely watched for years of their careers. It's mentioned with Krys that being a factor about him too since he was formerly considered top notch but didn't live up to their expectations the past couple years.

I just happened to remember this about what htey said about Dcat because the same was applied in Chicago's camp this summer and even last years prospect camp. Cat didn't look great in any of them and he's not really a guy whose talent would seem to shine in camps and drills opposed to actual playing.
The whole league passed practically twice on Cat I guess its not too hard to blame USA to pass as well.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

and while i am in total agreement, i maintain that in camp a player may play great with one player and not with others..... i am using the terminology of "gelling with".

so while he has worked and got invited based on what he accomplished. it was good enuf to convince the powers to be.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Altybarmakyn takes a penalty (weak but IIHF calls it really tight) and Czechs score on the PP. Altybarmakyn comes out next shift and snipes one off the face off to make it 1-1. He's got his stamp on this game already 6 min into the WJC.

Actually looked like it might have been tipped. So Altybarmakyn might just be getting an assist there

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
It was tipped by Poulodoam ..sp only an assist for AA.

Czechs win 5-4 ...2 late 3rd period goals...1 by Kayumin with less than 3 mutes remaining...then Kayumin gets assist in the last minute on 4th Russian goal...

So Altybarmakyan 1a
Kayumin 1g 1a

And for Czechs Jakub Galvas 1a ...

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Goal and assist for Kayumov as well

Last edited:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Ian Mitchell punished for playing American college hockey. Sooooo Hockey Canada. He should be on that team.

Rarely does a smurf dman get consideration for Team Canada unless said player has Ryan Ellis like skills, and even then it is a rarity. Punishment for playing College? Nah. Don't be ridiculous.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad