Rumor: Hawks looking to trade Oduya

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
i would WAY rather have Steeger just go. Oduya has been a key part to this team over the last 2 years.

If getting under the cap is between Oduya & Versteeg, it's a no brainer AFAIC. Yes, we're not gonna get squat for Versteeg, but who cares? Versteeg's presence jams up TT.

Unless TT is deemed completely physically not ready, I'd much rather have him preparing to take over as #2C in '15-16 by being w/the big club. Start him as a third line wing and switch him to center when he's ready. If Kruger was good to go (admittedly a reach), why not TT?

poes law

Nov 11, 2013
Interesting. Cant trade an injured player. Oduya out for an extended period of time... LTIR to start the season? Does that give more cap space? Wont make the whole cap but it would be relief nevertheless if it does. Could come back after the all-star break.

Teams can trade injured players if the other team is aware of the injury. The team receiving the injured player can ask the league to void the trade if after their team's doctors perform the physical, it appears that the injury is worse than the other team indicated.

As for Oduya on LTIR to start the season, that could be ideal for the Hawks. Proponents of trading Oduya want cap space and an opportunity to see whether Leddy can stick in the top 4 and think that should Leddy fail, a rental at the deadline is an option. Opponents of trading Oduya don't want to weaken the defense in the final year before the contract extensions kick in. With Oduya on LTIR to start the year, the Hawks become cap compliant, Leddy gets his audition in the top 4 to show whether he can stick, and if so, we can still trade Oduya, and if not, we don't need to get a rental for the top 4 because Oduya should return from his injury by the time the playoffs roll around.

southernbeardown54

Apr 23, 2012
Teams can trade injured players if the other team is aware of the injury. The team receiving the injured player can ask the league to void the trade if after their team's doctors perform the physical, it appears that the injury is worse than the other team indicated.

As for Oduya on LTIR to start the season, that could be ideal for the Hawks. Proponents of trading Oduya want cap space and an opportunity to see whether Leddy can stick in the top 4 and think that should Leddy fail, a rental at the deadline is an option. Opponents of trading Oduya don't want to weaken the defense in the final year before the contract extensions kick in. With Oduya on LTIR to start the year, the Hawks become cap compliant, Leddy gets his audition in the top 4 to show whether he can stick, and if so, we can still trade Oduya, and if not, we don't need to get a rental for the top 4 because Oduya should return from his injury by the time the playoffs roll around.

A genius way to circumvent the cap but I see no way this foot issue lasts to oct. I wouldn't think a healthy jo would accept this f he washealthy

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

This is intriguing! Would be a great option, if doable.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
A genius way to circumvent the cap but I see no way this foot issue lasts to oct. I wouldn't think a healthy jo would accept this f he washealthy

Yep. It's a broken bone, not a foot transplant. Unless there is something really unusual w/his injury, JO should be ready to go by October or shortly thereafter.

poes law

Nov 11, 2013

Yeah, I meant if Oduya wasn't 100% to start the season. Just looked it up and typical healing time for a broken foot is 12-15 weeks, so it's doubtful Oduya won't be ready on opening night.

As to the bolded, what, you don't think Oduya would be receptive to Bowman asking him "Hey, I know you're healthy, but can you go on LTIR to start the season, then do a conditioning stint in Rockford so we know whether Leddy is ready to replace you and therefore whether or not we should trade you?":sarcasm:

southernbeardown54

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah, I meant if Oduya wasn't 100% to start the season. Just looked it up and typical healing time for a broken foot is 12-15 weeks, so it's doubtful Oduya won't be ready on opening night.

As to the bolded, what, you don't think Oduya would be receptive to Bowman asking him "Hey, I know you're healthy, but can you go on LTIR to start the season, then do a conditioning stint in Rockford so we know whether Leddy is ready to replace you and therefore whether or not we should trade you?":sarcasm:

It's interesting cause the bears have done that with there rookies to buy a year. But what do they tell jo... Umm we want to try leddy out so can you wait awhile so we don't have to trade you for cap reasons? I am saying it tongue and cheek but I don't know.... It would solve things without trading anyone.

JohnnyOduyasGirl27

Feb 24, 2013
Belle Vernon, PA

Holy cow that is his healing of his foot takes that long, great no training this summer for my boy, brilliant now I'm freakin miserable!

LBS8844

Apr 10, 2013
Ladies and Gentlemen:

The injury happened on June 1st. Crummy summer, but he'll be completely healed by camp, and I'm not even an orthopod. In fact, he'll probably be skating at worst by mid-August, if not sooner.

Count this as one vote for keeping Oduya this season at any cost; you'd best know Bowman is thinking alike.

Last edited:

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
Most overpaid? :laugh:

Guy has 1 year on his contact which is < 5% of the salary cap.

What does the salary cap have to do with a Oduya being overpaid? Oduya isn't worth 3.5 a season and never was. Half the time when Oduya is on the ice you think the other team is on the power play 5 on 5. To make matters worse the Hawks gave up two 2nd rounder's to overpay.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
What does the salary cap have to do with a Oduya being overpaid? Oduya isn't worth 3.5 a season and never was. Half the time when Oduya is on the ice you think the other team is on the power play 5 on 5. To make matters worse the Hawks gave up two 2nd rounder's to overpay.

Hahaha, this is hilarious.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

What Hawks team are you watching? When Oduya is out there against the best players in the league almost every shift, the puck is mostly in the other teams end. Oduya is under paid and will more than likely get a nice little raise when/if he hits UFA at the end of next year.

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
What Hawks team are you watching? When Oduya is out there against the best players in the league almost every shift, the puck is mostly in the other teams end. Oduya is under paid and will more than likely get a nice little raise when/if he hits UFA at the end of next year.

Before you shoot from the hip........You may want to take a look at take away's vs. giveaways for starters since he has been with the Hawks. Of course (aside from the homers) Oduya isn't a top 4 D man but he is a Hawk....... So that changes everything. :handclap:

The only raise Oduya could get would be from Bowman who never has a problem of overpaying anyone.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Before you shoot from the hip........You may want to take a look at take away's vs. giveaways for starters since he has been with the Hawks. Of course (aside from the homers) Oduya isn't a top 4 D man but he is a Hawk....... So that changes everything. :handclap:

The only raise Oduya could get would be from Bowman who never has a problem of overpaying anyone.
Not sure what giveaways vs. Takeaways has to do with it looking like a PP when Oduya is on the ice, which isn't true. But, I guess if GVA vs TKA is the meaning of a good Dman, Hammer is much worse.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Not sure what giveaways vs. Takeaways has to do with it looking like a PP when Oduya is on the ice, which isn't true. But, I guess if GVA vs TKA is the meaning of a good Dman, Hammer is much worse.

Pretty much every poster here is a Hawks fan but that doesn't mean they should turn a blind eye to anything weak within the org. Some like to call a spade a spade and still cheer for the team. Constantly supporting everything in the org no matter what is called a yes man in my book. Oduya has his moments, but the new guy is right. We overpaid to get him and we overpaid to keep him. And don't fool yourself. There aren't any teams clamouring to acquire him in a trade. Same goes with Versteeg in the trade market. Stan will have a difficult time moving either and expect to get much in return. My hope is it doesn't result in Sharp being the guy they end up moving.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Pretty much every poster here is a Hawks fan but that doesn't mean they should turn a blind eye to anything weak within the org. Some like to call a spade a spade and still cheer for the team. Constantly supporting everything in the org no matter what is called a yes man in my book. Oduya has his moments, but the new guy is right. We overpaid to get him and we overpaid to keep him. And don't fool yourself. There aren't any teams clamouring to acquire him in a trade. Same goes with Versteeg in the trade market. Stan will have a difficult time moving either and expect to get much in return. My hope is it doesn't result in Sharp being the guy they end up moving.

11iluh0.gif

Oduya was "so bad" last season that people questioned Keith's Norris because of Oduya and Hammer getting the toughest competition night in and night out. I'll say that again, since it isn't sinking in for some of you. Oduya played A LOT of hockey against the other team's best players and he did a pretty good job of it.

He's not perfect but you guys are talking about him like he's some 7th Dman scrub that has nothing to do with the Hawks success the past two years

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
11iluh0.gif

Oduya was "so bad" last season that people questioned Keith's Norris because of Oduya and Hammer getting the toughest competition night in and night out. I'll say that again, since it isn't sinking in for some of you. Oduya played A LOT of hockey against the other team's best players and he did a pretty good job of it.

He's not perfect but you guys are talking about him like he's some 7th Dman scrub that has nothing to do with the Hawks success the past two years

Your right he isn't a 7th Dman. More like a 5 at best

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014

Nice to know someone follows hockey who is objective and calls a spade a spade. Oduya's value is limited on the trade market and Versteeg's is even less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad