Rumor: Hawks looking to trade Oduya

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Patrick Sharp has been a common target of trade rumors, but a new name emerged and this one seems to make a fair amount more sense in terms of the way it would impact Chicago's lineup for next season.

According to John Shannon of Sportsnet, the name popping up most frequently as being available is veteran defenseman Johnny Oduya.

“I keep hearing Johnny Oduya's name,†Shannon said on TSN 1260 in Edmonton (via the Edmonton Journal). “I keep hearing they're going to find a way to move Johnny Oduya and get rid of the dollars he makes, and do it with minimum dollars on that five, six, seven defenseman position.â€

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...mors-blackhawks-johnny-oduya-on-trading-block

If true, very smart and shrewd move by Bowman. This was always a guy that had to go to clear space and minutes for our youth on D coming up. Maybe we can even find a team with a cheaper vet D to come back for depth.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If he isn't, someone like Dahlbeck could just as easily take that spot. This really makes too much sense not to do. Oduya had a great run here, was really good in the Cup year, but it's just time to go in a different and cheaper direction. You've got to throw these guys into the fire.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
If he isn't, someone like Dahlbeck could just as easily take that spot. This really makes too much sense not to do. Oduya had a great run here, was really good in the Cup year, but it's just time to go in a different and cheaper direction. You've got to throw these guys into the fire.

I would rather they get thrown into the fire on the 3rd pairing to get their feet wet. I think Oduya is a ton more valuable than Roszival + Versteeg.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Somebody from Sportsnet and an EDM journal piece coming up with a rumor, big shock. I wonder if his sources are/were as solid as Kypreos'.

If somebody is going to overpay for Oduya, fine, but I'm not sure a contender is going to trade out of their established top 4 for straight market value.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Versteeg makes 2.2M. If he can be anywhere near what he was in the past for the next 2 years, that's one of the biggest steals in the NHL. It's worth the risk given his well documented knee problems. Rozy, I agree, in an unrelated move he can go too.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I would rather they get thrown into the fire on the 3rd pairing to get their feet wet. I think Oduya is a ton more valuable than Roszival + Versteeg.

Agreed, I hope if they move Oduya, it's only for significant overpayment. I would rather gamble on him for the year than the other two. How many teams have established top 4s? Too rare and hard to do. Getting 4 good dmen is tough enough, getting 2 effective pairs is even tougher.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Agreed, I hope if they move Oduya, it's only for significant overpayment. I would rather gamble on him for the year than the other two. How many teams have established top 4s? Too rare and hard to do. Getting 4 good dmen is tough enough, getting 2 effective pairs is even tougher.

Oduya has never been a legit No 4 D-man, not at any point in his entire career. He's been propped up by other players at time but has always been an excellent No 5 or a 4/5 tweener type. Watch what happens when other players start lining up next to Hammer consistently. They'll look better than you thought they were, just like Oduya.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
It makes a lot of sense even if its unpleasant. Gets the Hawks under the cap and lets them resign Brookbank and carry 13 forwards.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
If this is true, idk how I feel about it. I get the logic in trying to make room for the cap, but I'm still skeptical of someone like Leddy or Dahlbeck stepping into Oduya's role.

No doubt Hammer carries that pairing, but Oduya is still an Olympian and solid vet who helped shut down some of the opponents' best, making life easier on Keith and Seabrook. He gives the Hawks a better chance of winning next season IMO.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Well I think this is about 2015-16 more than anything.

They likely know for certain that Oduya and Rozy are not a part of that team. But Rozys cap hit alone doesn't get them where they need to be.

They don't know yet whether Versteeg (if moved with Rozy) or Leddy (whose cap hit alone doesn't let them do all they want) will be a part of the 2015-16 Blackhawks but could become important to keep if Sharp or Seabrook get moved next summer if things get even tighter with the cap than expected and one of them absolutely has to go where moving Bickell's contract isn't enough.

Moving Oduya lets you postpone choosing between Sharp and Seabrook another year and do most everything else you want to do with the roster.

It makes a lot of sense.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Trying to jog my memory. When was the last time the Hawks allowed a valuable piece to leave via free agency? Havlat? Niemi? I have to be missing people.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
When was the last time a Hawks trade rumor came out that ended up true? I'm not saying that as a doubter, but more as a statement of surprise that there's any semi-official rumor at all.

I think trading Oduya this season would be a mistake. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There are better contracts to move than his, and he's been doing great next to Hammer for $3.375M.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I think trading Oduya this season would be a mistake. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There are better contracts to move than his, and he's been doing great next to Hammer for $3.375M.

Right, this isn't the rebuild/experiment year, its the go for it year. Its why people that talk about trading Sharp this off season are crazy. After next year is the rebuild/experiment year.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Dumb idea, Leddy isn't ready for Oduyas role and no prospect will easily slide into the #4 spot. Not a smart move in any sense of the word.

Martin Riggs

You wanna see crazy?
Jan 27, 2014
LAPD- Homicide
This is actually the lesser of 3 evils. You trade Sharp, you lose a big chuck of offense. You trade Bickell, you lose a physical presence on an already soft team. You trade Oduya, it slots Leddy into the #4 spot and someone else fills in on #5 or #6. I for one would like to see Leddy moved up. See if he steps it up. To me, Oduya is the most expendable.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
This is actually the lesser of 3 evils. You trade Sharp, you lose a big chuck of offense. You trade Bickell, you lose a physical presence on an already soft team. You trade Oduya, it slots Leddy into the #4 spot and someone else fills in on #5 or #6. I for one would like to see Leddy moved up. See if he steps it up. To me, Oduya is the most expendable.

Or you can just trade Leddy, who can probably bring in a better return than Oduya but isn't as valuable to the current squad.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
After all the bemoaning over a #2C, you have the gall to type this thought out? yeah, its so easy, just fill the spot with some kid from Rockford, or entrust Leddy who they've been trying to groom for the spot for 2 years now but doesn't seem to want it. I find it funny we couldn't throw TT into the fire at the 2C spot, but we can do it for Oduya's spot?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Bad idea IMO. This is the "go for it" year, as another poster said.

If possible, and we don't know if it is, trade Versteeg + Rozsival before you trade Oduya. Defensive depth is huge in the playoffs

RomersWorld*

Trying to jog my memory. When was the last time the Hawks allowed a valuable piece to leave via free agency? Havlat? Niemi? I have to be missing people.

You are missing the best player of all...Viktor Stalberg.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
Been saying it for awhile now - given the way this team is always tending to its future, Oduya is the only name that makes sense from the back end. FO is high on Leddy, young RFA with high offensive upside, great pick mover. Guys like that don't come around much. Oduya is a solid bottom pairing guy, but we need the cap space, and he's a goner next year anyways. Additionally, he's had two real strong years next to Hammer that will make him an attractive trade target.

This keeps Leddy around for another year to see if he makes those forward steps, but more importantly open a spot for a Rockford defender to start rotating in.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
^^^
But it does that at the cost of a weakened defense. I'd rather him walk for nothing than get a nice draft pick

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Versteeg certainly, but as I have said, I think Stan has a plan to try and showcase him to even get a nibble for him before the TD ... and possibly get some value back. And who knows, maybe Versteeg will surprise and be a capable top 6 player, and Hawks will keep him for now.
I think Rozy is still capable himself, if he continues in a limited role, and I don't mind Brookbank either. If Oduya goes each will add some stability to allow Dahlback/Clendening/Johns/Rundblad, (whoever wins that spot in camp), to transition easier. That said, someone will need to go, even if Oduya is traded this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad