Rumor: Hawks looking to trade Oduya

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
There are very few teams' #4 defenseman whom I would swap with Oduya; and there are some teams in the league whom I wouldn't trade Oduya for their #3 defenseman.

The expectations by some posters are ridiculous. Oduya is a #4 defenseman! That means if he ranks somewhere between 91-120 out of the 180 dressing defensemen in the NHL he is living up to his positional status. I don't see how Oduya does not meet, if not exceed, that criteria.

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
There are very few teams' #4 defenseman whom I would swap with Oduya; and there are some teams in the league whom I wouldn't trade Oduya for their #3 defenseman.

The expectations by some posters are ridiculous. Oduya is a #4 defenseman! That means if he ranks somewhere between 91-120 out of the 180 dressing defensemen in the NHL he is living up to his positional status. I don't see how Oduya does not meet, if not exceed, that criteria.

IF standing in front of the net clueless (while the other team scores) and giving away the puck on a regular basis qualifies for a #4 line Dman. Oduya qualifies.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
IF standing in front of the net clueless (while the other team scores) and giving away the puck on a regular basis qualifies for a #4 line Dman. Oduya qualifies.

Watch the other #4 defensemen around the league, they make mistakes much more often than Oduya. #4 defensemen are by definition, below average.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

....SLarmer?......

BackingAway-1.gif

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Name some.....
You just saw one of them on clip on the KHayes thread you were just on...and he's on a really good Boston team.
First you have to find teams that actually have 3 through 6 kind-of sorted, that's a small list. Then you're left with guys like:
Quincey
B. Stuart
Robidas
Scandella
Stralman
etc.

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
You just saw one of them on clip on the KHayes thread you were just on...and he's on a really good Boston team.
First you have to find teams that actually have 3 through 6 kind-of sorted, that's a small list. Then you're left with guys like:
Quincey
B. Stuart
Robidas
Scandella
Stralman
etc.

Doesn't look like a long list to me.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Doesn't look like a long list to me.

I didn't think I should wasting time listing all the teams that can't figure out who to make as their 2nd pair or number 4 including playoff teams like CLB, TB, Pit, and Colorado. Is he better or worse than LA's or STL's number 4 going into 2015 btw?

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
Quincey
B. Stuart
Robidas
Scandella
Stralman
etc.

Let's see..........I'm almost humored. Your kidding when you came up with this list since most on this list are NOT getting paid or produce much than Oduya.

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
I didn't think I should wasting time listing all the teams that can't figure out who to make as their 2nd pair or number 4 including playoff teams like CLB, TB, Pit, and Colorado. Is he better or worse than LA's or STL's number 4 going into 2015 btw?

Don't waste your time. You will find that over 2/3 of the teams don't have a #4 D that is as bad or/and more overpaid than Oduya.

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
You said list some.

Here are some more:
Smith
Meszaros
Gleason
Smid
Benn

What would be a much more fun exercise would be you naming 120 defensemen better than him.

I think a better exercise to see who could Kool-Aid Oduya more as a good #4 D-man.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I've hardly been the biggest Oduya fan and I think Hammer carries most of that pairing's weight.

But seriously? Oduya is capable of playing #4 minutes on a Stanley Cup winning team. You know why I think that? Because he did. And he came a goal away from having a very good chance of doing it in back to back years.

This whole notion that he doesn't have much value has sprung up out of nowhere and it's laughable. Guys who can log second pairing minutes adequately get paid a ton as UFA's because teams need them. Did you see what Orpik just got paid?

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
I've hardly been the biggest Oduya fan and I think Hammer carries most of that pairing's weight.

But seriously? Oduya is capable of playing #4 minutes on a Stanley Cup winning team. You know why I think that? Because he did. And he came a goal away from having a very good chance of doing it in back to back years.

This whole notion that he doesn't have much value has sprung up out of nowhere and it's laughable. Guys who can log second pairing minutes adequately get paid a ton as UFA's because teams need them. Did you see what Orpik just got paid?

I'm not going to debate (since I agree) that there are some bad overpaid D-Man in the NHL. No question about that.

Oduya had a few good seasons with Jersey. The Jets couldn't wait to get rid of him and for good reason. It was shocking and still is the Hawks gave him close to the same money he was making when NOBODY wanted him. This is a fact! In fact to make matters worse he was about to be a free agent!

Since leaving Jersey he has been a cough up the puck freak a long with multiple lapses in his own zone. That's plain and simple. Far from my opinion since many clubs figured that out and the Jets couldn't wait to unload him The Jets swindled Bowman (which is easy to do) and they were laughing at the price the Hawks paid to get him (2-2nd Rounder's) UNREAL!

To boot they signed him to a contract that NOBODY except Bowman was willing to offer. Furthermore, the Jets wanted to get something for him and it's NO secret there were no takers and for good reason.

Just because Oduya logs minutes as a #4 D-Man does NOT make him capable. That's like Richards is an capable #2 center for the Hawks because he is the number 2 center.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Don't waste your time. You will find that over 2/3 of the teams don't have a #4 D that is as bad or/and more overpaid than Oduya.
I disagree and I'm very curious about that.
How about listing one of those 2 thirds you think have a better answer for his slot?

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

But seriously? Oduya is capable of playing #4 minutes on a Stanley Cup winning team. You know why I think that? Because he did. And he came a goal away from having a very good chance of doing it in back to back years

Hell.. I'm one of his least favorite fans on this board and think quite a few hawk fans generally overrate him (some stuff I do agree on), and even I think hawk nut is selling him short here.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Just because Oduya logs minutes as a #4 D-Man does NOT make him capable.
Noel, Quenneville, B. Sutter, Lemaire, Anderson, and Ramsay ALL thought he was good enough for top 4 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad