GDT: Hawks @ Jets 7pm 1/11/24 nbc sports Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Who have I shielded from criticism? LuRich is playing Tinordi too much. Has nothing to do with age. It's poor coaching.

Tinordi sucks all on his own.
You specifically? IDK. But in general, Reichel and Korchinski get babied too much by fans. And even Guttman, who isn't that young but hasn't been a pro very long.

Yes, Tinordi sucks but harping on it is a waste of time, he just is who he is and a stopgap so guys like Del Mastro and Allan can play a full year in the AHL before getting thrown to the wolves.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I've criticized Korchinski plenty this season when he deserves it, as have others.

If anything you use this roster to shield LuRich from any and all criticism.
LuRich is a tank coach of a tank roster, I don't have a strong opinion of him, just scoff at the general notion that people need to start getting fired because a tank roster is tanking and due to things like Jarred Tinordi's ice time or a powerplay unit consisting of bums not producing.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
LuRich is a tank coach of a tank roster, I don't have a strong opinion of him, just scoff at the general notion that people need to start getting fired because a tank roster is tanking over things like Jarred Tinordi's ice time or a powerplay unit consisting of bums not producing.
He doesn't need to get fired today. But you certainly can criticize his roster decisions with the talent that we have. Guttman played in Rockford for 20 games over Reese Johnson. Buick vs a Lincoln; whatever but he wants to bitch about having a rough season last year and wants to see improvements this year, then play your best guys. He didn't.

Haven't seen you criticize him.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Korchinski does NHL things because he's too good for the WHL. When he makes poor decisions I always point them out. Puhleeze.
Yeah he skates well, but let's not act like he's in the NHL on 29/32 NHL rosters, actually make that 30 since Anaheim has Zellwegger in the AHL and Korchinski is clearly worse than Mintyukov but I digress.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
You specifically? IDK. But in general, Reichel and Korchinski get babied too much by fans. And even Guttman, who isn't that young but hasn't been a pro very long.

Yes, Tinordi sucks but harping on it is a waste of time, he just is who he is and a stopgap so guys like Del Mastro and Allan can play a full year in the AHL before getting thrown to the wolves.
In a GDT saying a guy who is actively sucking is sucking shouldn't be an issue. And yes, me specifically. It's a bunch of strangers on the Internet, it's all a waste of time.

I'm honest with who I like and who I dislike. It lends credence to who I like and when I give eye test analysis that matters because of my history.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He doesn't need to get fired today. But you certainly can criticize his roster decisions with the talent that we have. Guttman played in Rockford for 20 games over Reese Johnson. Buick vs a Lincoln; whatever but he wants to bitch about having a rough season last year and wants to see improvements this year, then play your best guys. He didn't.

Haven't seen you criticize him.
Ok add Cole Guttman's number of NHL games to the things I don't care about as far as whether the tank coach of a tank roster needs to be immediately fired. He's fast, he's waiver exempt, he played 4 years of college hockey after playing a year in the USHL post being drafted in the 6th round, he produces 0.33 ppg, he turns 25 in a couple months. If he can figure out how to use his speedy tools to be a contributing bottom sixer in the next couple years that'd be nice.

Reese Johnson gets scratched a lot from this tank roster so his existence doesn't bother me.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Ok add Cole Guttman's number of NHL games to the things I don't care about as far as whether the tank coach of a tank roster needs to be immediately fired. He's fast, he's waiver exempt, he played 4 years of college hockey after playing a year in the USHL post being drafted in the 6th round, he produces 0.33 ppg, he turns 25 in a couple months. If he can figure out how to use his speedy tools to be a contributing bottom sixer in the next couple years that'd be nice.

Reese Johnson gets scratched a lot from this tank roster so his existence doesn't bother me.
Don't care about who you are or where you came from. This is the NHL in 2023-2024. Guttman going to Rockford over Reese is someone misevaluating what players are going to help you win. If you do that in 2023, you'll probably do it in 2025. Thats a huge whiff.

You're developing an organization, that includes coaches. You obviously realize he isn't coaching for his job this year so you're hoping to see some growth in the coaches too. Everyone gets evaluated.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He's not on 29 rosters. He's on this one. With merit.
Yes he is, that was my point.

But so is Tinordi, Hawks management claimed him on waivers and then re-signed him. There are a zillion bozos that go through waivers, yet Tinordi is the one that's here, hate it or not.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The eye test isn't universal. Some people have a better idea what they're looking at than others. I'm not pumping my own tires.

Some people you should listen to more than others. My dad is a hockey idiot. If TLEH says something about a kid I listen. For a reason.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Don't care about who you are or where you came from. This is the NHL in 2023-2024. Guttman going to Rockford over Reese is someone misevaluating what players are going to help you win. If you do that in 2023, you'll probably do it in 2025. Thats a huge whiff.

You're developing an organization, that includes coaches. You obviously realize he isn't coaching for his job this year so you're hoping to see some growth in the coaches too. Everyone gets evaluated.
A huge whiff? Guttman was struggling bigly and needed to find his game and his waiver-exempt status allowed him to do that. What was the whiff exactly? Did it cost the TankHawks a bunch of wins in the 2023-24 standings (unlikely), did it ruin Cole Guttman's (very important for the future of the Hawks, insert mild sarcasm) development?

Yes, your Tank Coach is rarely your "ok, go out and get a Cup" Coach.. that's just how these things tend to go.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
A huge whiff? Guttman was struggling bigly and needed to find his game and his waiver-exempt status allowed him to do that. What was the whiff exactly? Did it cost the TankHawks a bunch of wins in the 2023-24 standings (unlikely), did it ruin Cole Guttman's (very important for the future of the Hawks, insert mild sarcasm) development?

Yes, your Tank Coach is rarely your "ok, go out and get a Cup" Coach.. that's just how these things tend to go.
He played 3 games, had a goal and averaged like 10 minutes of ice time.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Do you think Reese is better than Katchouk or Guttman? It's a coaching mistake. It's a GM issue. It's an issue that will be ongoing.

Reactions: Pez68

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Korchinski is here on merit. Tinordi is not.
The way I see it, everyone is here for a reason. I think I watch more AHL than a lot of people (and don't hold AHL in a disparaging fashion the way some people do). Everyone in the NHL has a reason they are where they are, I think fans are very harsh on low-ceiling players for being low-ceiling. If there were 50 players available to take Jarred Tinordi's spot, they probably would. But there aren't, there's other guys like Jayson Megna that fall into that same bucket but also are just whatever no names, ho-hem prospects towards the end of their rope like Isaak Phillips, guys you want to shield from the NHL while they adjust to pro hockey like Ethan Del Mastro. And that's just kinda how it is. Tinordi could be a guy playing 1st pair minutes and being good for a team like the Milwaukee Admirals who are a very competitive AHL team, or he could be here because the Hawks needed a body, and he just so happens to be here.

That's what you and every other team works with. Tinordi is a fine whipping boy, and you and others can continue to point out everything he does wrong. It is what it is. He's a very borderline player that is on a tank roster and being asked to play a role way above his head, and of course will struggle in that capacity. No argument from me. The whole "7th DMan vs. AHLer" stuff is basically semantics.

Reactions: gach

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
You gotta be a special kind of stupid to defend guys like Tinordi and Reese Johnson.

But in this particular case, this poster just likes to play contrarian. There’s no factual basis to his posts so it’s best not to bother replying to them.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You gotta be a special kind of stupid to defend guys like Tinordi and Reese Johnson.

But in this particular case, this poster just likes to play contrarian. There’s no factual basis to his posts so it’s best not to bother replying to them.
Maybe instead of calling me "stupid" and attributing positions to me that I haven't taken, realize that the "contrarian" position is the one that says "the coaching and management are idiots and ruining the rebuild because a couple of marginal roster players are on the roster".

Like you of course realize that this is the actual "contrary" position, that the thing that is happening is wrong and stupid and should be changed?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The way I see it, everyone is here for a reason. I think I watch more AHL than a lot of people (and don't hold AHL in a disparaging fashion the way some people do). Everyone in the NHL has a reason they are where they are, I think fans are very harsh on low-ceiling players for being low-ceiling. If there were 50 players available to take Jarred Tinordi's spot, they probably would. But there aren't, there's other guys like Jayson Megna that fall into that same bucket but also are just whatever no names, ho-hem prospects towards the end of their rope like Isaak Phillips, guys you want to shield from the NHL while they adjust to pro hockey like Ethan Del Mastro. And that's just kinda how it is. Tinordi could be a guy playing 1st pair minutes and being good for a team like the Milwaukee Admirals who are a very competitive AHL team, or he could be here because the Hawks needed a body, and he just so happens to be here.

That's what you and every other team works with. Tinordi is a fine whipping boy, and you and others can continue to point out everything he does wrong. It is what it is. He's a very borderline player that is on a tank roster and being asked to play a role way above his head, and of course will struggle in that capacity. No argument from me. The whole "7th DMan vs. AHLer" stuff is basically semantics.
The reason is that Korchinski has tools and is surviving at the NHL level. That's something to be commended for. Phillips has upside and should be playing over Tinordi.

Pressure creates diamonds. Let kids make mistakes. If they can't hack it they can't hack it. There's zero upside to Tinordi playing poorly.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The reason is that Korchinski has tools and is surviving at the NHL level. That's something to be commended for. Phillips has upside and should be playing over Tinordi.

Pressure creates diamonds. Let kids make mistakes. If they can't hack it they can't hack it. There's zero upside to Tinordi playing poorly.
Korchinski is "surviving" because he's a 7th overall pick that the Hawks really want to develop, and yeah, pressures, diamonds. He also has the same number of assists as a bum like Tinordi with about 2 and a half more minutes of powerplay time per game. Hopefully he can improve.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
No decisions that are made are going to win or lose an entire season. Calling out a coach for playing guys that are worse, for guys that are better, is valid in any season.

We aren't in the room and there are cultural reasons for decisions to be made. I fully understand that. You're trying to develop Reichel and playing him with Entwistle. It might not affect today but it affects tomorrow. Maybe Reichel would play 20 games with Bedard and struggle in all 20. I doubt it, but this season is about finding out what you got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad