Rumor: Hawks Intersted in James van Riemsdyk & Gabriel Landeskog

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
There are many more factors on each team and outside of hockey that could influence each players choice. His wife is from Calgary which opens up that part of Canada along with him being from BC. They key thing here is we don't know if he would say no or not to Colorado. Hell he could just not care and love Colorado for all we know.

I know how the process works and the factors but automatically dismissing a trade like this when you or I don't know the factors is the wrong way to look at it. I am not saying you are wrong or I disagree.

I mean of course anything is possible but a last place team starting a total rebuild is presumably the exact situation Seabrook would be looking to avoid when he negotiated for a NTC.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
There are many more factors on each team and outside of hockey that could influence each players choice. His wife is from Calgary which opens up that part of Canada along with him being from BC. They key thing here is we don't know if he would say no or not to Colorado. Hell he could just not care and love Colorado for all we know.

I know how the process works and the factors but automatically dismissing a trade like this when you or I don't know the factors is the wrong way to look at it. I am not saying you are wrong or I disagree.

Right, we don't know the factors and their relative weights. However, we can surmise that going from a perennial contender to a cellar dweller would be embraced by few. Possible? Sure. Probable? Very doubtful.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Right, we don't know the factors and their relative weights. However, we can surmise that going from a perennial contender to a cellar dweller would be embraced by few. Possible? Sure. Probable? Very doubtful.

How often do we see players say no? Doan is the only one I can remember actively saying no.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
How often do we see players say no? Doan is the only one I can remember actively saying no.

To individual teams? All the time. Iginla and the Bruins, Spezza to the Preds, and Dan Hamhuis and the Bruins. Kesler, Martin St Louis, and Joe Thornton all used there NTC to block most of the league.

A better question is how often do you see players accept a trade to a team like the Avs?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
To individual teams? All the time. Iginla and the Bruins, Spezza to the Preds, and Dan Hamhuis and the Bruins. Kesler, Martin St Louis, and Joe Thornton all used there NTC to block most of the league.

A better question is how often do you see players accept a trade to a team like the Avs?

Correct on those. Players who did waive? Last year I think it was Bickell, Clarkson, Datsyuk (technically), Phaneuf, and Horton (technically) so it looks like your list is "better" than mine. I partially take back my stance but I still think it is a bad idea to dismiss the idea of Seabrook being moved to Colorado.

Who did Kesler block? Honest question.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Correct on those. Players who did waive? Last year I think it was Bickell, Clarkson, Datsyuk (technically), Phaneuf, and Horton (technically) so it looks like your list is "better" than mine. I partially take back my stance but I still think it is a bad idea to dismiss the idea of Seabrook being moved to Colorado.

Who did Kesler block? Honest question.

I believe he would originally only accept the Hawks and Pens, after those teams wouldn't pay the price he agreed to go waive for the Ducks. I think those were the only three teams.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
To be clear, it is a stretch but I think due to his financial security he would possibly wave his NTC.

Yeah, we never know what he is thinking and also what his wife is thinking.
He has 3 rings and perhaps he may want to explore a city that is more in line with where he wants to be closer to come retirement. That could be Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary or Colorado. He may be ready to return to Canada too for that matter ( not sure about Toronto ).

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I believe he would originally only accept the Hawks and Pens, after those teams wouldn't pay the price he agreed to go waive for the Ducks. I think those were the only three teams.

i still maintain that there maybe a handshake agreement tween the hawks fo and seabs that we, as fans do not know.

now back to the other problem of moving seabs and it is his contract with his signing bonus and how it is spread out.... i have brought up this before and i am still at a lost. according to hockey ref his cap hit is 6,875 mil +/- ..... yet his salary is listed at 9.0 mil....

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/seabrbr01.html

now on sportac, on seabs contract it shows his salary at 4.5 mil with a signing bonus of 4.5 which will also decrease.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/chicago-blackhawks/brent-seabrook-1593/

this contract is not going to be moved....

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
i still maintain that there maybe a handshake agreement tween the hawks fo and seabs that we, as fans do not know.

now back to the other problem of moving seabs and it is his contract with his signing bonus and how it is spread out.... i have brought up this before and i am still at a lost. according to hockey ref his cap hit is 6,875 mil +/- ..... yet his salary is listed at 9.0 mil....

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/seabrbr01.html

now on sportac, on seabs contract it shows his salary at 4.5 mil with a signing bonus of 4.5 which will also decrease.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/chicago-blackhawks/brent-seabrook-1593/

this contract is not going to be moved....

This contract structure is front loaded and is the easiest of the three contract types to move. They are also the easiest to buyout.

Explain your handshake agreement comment please.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The more I think about this rumor the more I think that GL would be a perfect long-term replacement for Hossa. What would it cost? 1st round pick+another pick (3rd or 4th)+ a top 3-4 prospect (Debrincat, I would be willing to add a Hayden type as well(NHL ready prospect) + Seabs?

GL is the type of player where it is ok to give up a top prospect and a first because you are getting a long-term solution back. His contract is 1 million less than Seabrook so retention is not an issue.

Just for fun, I'm going full fantasy/ NHL17 mode here. Would you be willing to give up a massive package for Dylan Larkin?

Obviously there's no sign the Wings are interested in moving him, but fans do seem to think the Wings are heading toward a rebuild.

A package would probably have to start with at least the 2017 1st, and two of Schmaltz/DeBrincat/Forsling.

But just think about Larkin in that Saad role.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Just for fun, I'm going full fantasy/ NHL17 mode here. Would you be willing to give up a massive package for Dylan Larkin?

Obviously there's no sign the Wings are interested in moving him, but fans do seem to think the Wings are heading toward a rebuild.

A package would probably have to start with at least the 2017 1st, and two of Schmaltz/DeBrincat/Forsling.

But just think about Larkin in that Saad role.

Like his game but with he scares me as a RFA.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
This contract structure is front loaded and is the easiest of the three contract types to move. They are also the easiest to buyout.

Explain your handshake agreement comment please.

no prob.... i am just fishing here and speculating on this huge contract and yrs.

i am in the thinking that maybe, just maybe the idea was to expose seabs to expansion draft now or in several yrs from now with the new team, whether that is seattle or not. to insure that seabs is taken care of, meaning his future ..... knowing that he may not end it with chi.

the other thing is maybe, just maybe this was a guarantee for, again his livelihood if he gets concussed, he and his family will have a nice nest egg to look forward to.

i am not faulting him nor the hawks fo, if any of this was done. then again, we may never know. to me, this show class to the hawks org of taking care of their players.

you should see a movie on hockey and the fight for the nhl union and the league wide players contract with ted lindsey...... outstanding.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I'd love to add Landeskog, but it won't and can't happen without a 5+ Million Player leaving us in the summer. We have the assets needed if we would be willing to pay that Price (I wouldn't pay it) and we would get assets back in the summer.

I just don't see us trading away Hjalmarsson or Crawford or Seabrook.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
what about sharpy

Sharp-Toews-Hossa
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Hartman-Shalunov-Schmaltz
Panik-Kruger-Desjardin

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Some of these rumors are just insane.

Yea, I could see a Vanek, a Vrbata or PAP, but some of the names being tossed around make absolutely no sense from a cap perspective. Bowman would have to move mountains to make some of this stuff work...

I could see Bowman making a trade over the next few weeks but it's not going to be for a guy that has anything more than this year left on his contract, and certainly not for anyone that carries more than 5 per on his contract.

We have some cap space - why blow it all on one player when it's clear we could use a couple.

Bring in a top 6 LW, a bottom 6 forward and maybe another depth defenemen.

If Bowman can do that then I like the Hawks chances.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
what about sharpy

Sharp-Toews-Hossa
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Hartman-Shalunov-Schmaltz
Panik-Kruger-Desjardin

I'd be happy with Sharp.... We just need a legit top 6 LW, nothing fancy.

Sharp, Vrbata, Vanek, PAP..... Hell, I'd be OK with Rene Bourque to some extent.

We need some NHL depth that can take some pressure off the kids.

Also, I think the Hawks lack of balance with the top 6 is one of the reasons why the Hawks look "iffy" as a possible contender.... We have the required pieces to win tho - just need the depth.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Did you see Landeskog in that last game?
Me either, he was invisible.

Duchene looked good.
Mackinnon looked great.

Landeskog looked terrible.

I'd pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad