Rumor: Hawks Intersted in James van Riemsdyk & Gabriel Landeskog

GGGHawks18

Dec 16, 2011
Brian Hedger ‏@BrianHedger 19m19 minutes ago
I'm told the #Blackhawks are checking into impact forwards via trade & have checked in w/ #leafs re: van Riemsdyk & #Avs re: Landeskog

Brian Hedger ‏@BrianHedger 10m10 minutes ago
Must be noted: nothing imminent re: #Blackhawks trades ... just some nuggets I heard today from a source, preliminary talks etc.

Brian Hedger ‏@BrianHedger 3m3 minutes ago
Heard #Avs are open for business for all but MacKinnon. Landeskog & Duchene apparently available, but both have very high pricetags. #NHL

Hedger also says that he has a name that has been a part of talks from the Hawks end, but won't reveal who that is.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I can't see either of those happening, especially Landeskog who has 4 more years on the deal. Not saying him or JVR aren't worth what they are making, but how would the Hawks make it work? The assumption is that Kruger probably has to go next year for the Panarin extension before adding any large salary commitments.

And to those who will say trade Crawford, even if they did decide to do that (I think it's a bad idea and not something they would do), adding salary prior to trading Crawford would significantly back them into a corner in terms of trade value.

I'm sure Stan is doing his due diligence, but can't see any way Landeskog happens. I guess JVR would be a little more doable, but I still doubt it.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I can't see either of those happening, especially Landeskog who has 4 more years on the deal. Not saying him or JVR aren't worth what they are making, but how would the Hawks make it work? The assumption is that Kruger probably has to go next year for the Panarin extension before adding any large salary commitments.

And to those who will say trade Crawford, even if they did decide to do that (I think it's a bad idea and not something they would do), adding salary prior to trading Crawford would significantly back them into a corner in terms of trade value.

I'm sure Stan is doing his due diligence, but can't see any way Landeskog happens. I guess JVR would be a little more doable, but I still doubt it.

I'm thinking either trade must include Seabrook plus picks and prospects.

Also, this is coming from Hedger. I'm not a fan of Hedger, so I'll wait until Zawaski or Powers confirm the report.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
JVR with 50% retention for 1,5 years is doable, but Landeskog with 4 years isn't. Avs won't eat salary.

1) Bowman knows something about the cap or 2) Hjalmarsson is traded. Seabrook does not give you Landeskog or JVR because they don't want his contract.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
JVR with 50% retention for 1,5 years is doable, but Landeskog with 4 years isn't. Avs won't eat salary.

1) Bowman knows something about the cap or 2) Hjalmarsson is traded. Seabrook does not give you Landeskog or JVR because they don't want his contract.

No, not straight up. But the team needs to take him in order to make $$ work. Hjalmarsson should remain untouchable.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
No, not straight up. But the team needs to take him in order to make $$ work. Hjalmarsson should remain untouchable.

True but I really don't know if trading Seabrook + assets is good thing for this team. For 4 years of Landeskog? Maybe. But I can't see Avs wanting Seabrook, like in none scenario. Even if they could get Schmaltz and Forsling both.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Seabrook? He's gonna have to waive to go to COL or TOR midseason. I can't see that happening.

He seems to be everyone's whipping boy nowadays. But let's not forget he's still the 3rd best D on this team. Losing him will hurt this team badly this season as Q's gonna play Keith and Hjalmarsson 30 min a night. It also means increased workload/responsibility for Campbell/TvR and possibly Rozy playing on a regular basis.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Trading Seabrook would make the Hawks take 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards.

I agree. I know Seabrooks contract is bad, but removing him from the team does hurt the team. Who takes his minutes? TVR? Then play Rosy all the time? No thanks.

I could see Seabs possibly going in the offseason once we figure out what the cap is but in season doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Blackhawks26

6 time Cup Champions
Jun 17, 2011
Orland Park IL
I agree. I know Seabrooks contract is bad, but removing him from the team does hurt the team. Who takes his minutes? TVR? Then play Rosy all the time? No thanks.

I could see Seabs possibly going in the offseason once we figure out what the cap is but in season doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Even then I don't think it's a good idea. Seabrook is part of the culture. He has been around since the dark days and his presence alone means tons to this team. Like you said even if we trade Seabs in the off-season, who takes his minutes? Pokka? I don't know about that one..

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Moving Seabrook for a forward means the Hawks have no right handed top 4 defensemen and no decent right handed shots from the point for the PP (which is important with Kane running PP from the right wing boards).

Keith-Hammer
Campbell-??????
Kempny-TvR

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Also important to note that Avalanche already have two right handed D with big salary (Johnson and Barrie). They actually need a lefty.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Brian Hedger ‏@BrianHedger 19m19 minutes ago
I'm told the #Blackhawks are checking into impact forwards via trade & have checked in w/ #leafs re: van Riemsdyk & #Avs re: Landeskog

Brian Hedger ‏@BrianHedger 10m10 minutes ago
Must be noted: nothing imminent re: #Blackhawks trades ... just some nuggets I heard today from a source, preliminary talks etc.

Brian Hedger ‏@BrianHedger 3m3 minutes ago
Heard #Avs are open for business for all but MacKinnon. Landeskog & Duchene apparently available, but both have very high pricetags. #NHL

Hedger also says that he has a name that has been a part of talks from the Hawks end, but won't reveal who that is.

Hedger has a name but won't reveal it? Typical Pulitzer Prize winning Chicago Blackhawks journalism.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Even then I don't think it's a good idea. Seabrook is part of the culture. He has been around since the dark days and his presence alone means tons to this team. Like you said even if we trade Seabs in the off-season, who takes his minutes? Pokka? I don't know about that one..

I'm not looking to push Seabrook out right now, but I realize that there's a good chance that in a few years his contract is going to be unmovable. So, depending on the cap number, I can understand why they might explore it in the offseason. In the offseason, they would be able to try to trade for another D man at a lesser cap hit to play a top 4 role, in theory at least.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
What if both options include 50% retention? What would you be willing to give up for each?

That's Landeskog at a $2,786,000 AAV through 20-21
And JVR at $2,125,000 through 17-18

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
I don't think I'd be happy acquiring either player. It'd cost too much to acquire either one of them, and (correct me if I'm wrong) we wouldn't have enough forward spots in the expansion draft to keep Hartman.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
What if both options include 50% retention? What would you be willing to give up for each?

That's Landeskog at a $2,786,000 AAV through 20-21
And JVR at $2,125,000 through 17-18

For JVR, Schmaltz and 2018 1st and I would give them Pokka if they take Krüger out of hands for pick in summer.

For 4 years of Landeskog, goosh. Very much. Start with Forsling and 2017 1st. Add maybe Schmaltz. He would be so good with Toews and Hossa. So good.

People going to say this is too much but if we get one of them with 50% retention, that is the price.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Hawks top 3 tradeable assets are Forsling, Schmaltz, Debrincat along with 2018 1st.

I highly doubt Hawks are serious about trading for Landeskog/JvR types but if they are, it will have to be 2-3 of those going back along with a salary dump.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Hawks top 3 tradeable assets are Forsling, Schmaltz, Debrincat along with 2018 1st.

I highly doubt Hawks are serious about trading for Landeskog/JvR types but if they are, it will have to be 2-3 of those going back along with a salary dump.

Good lord I hope that's not one of the best assets you can offer. :laugh: Either way, this will never happen with the Hawks so close to the cap.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Good lord I hope that's not one of the best assets you can offer. :laugh: Either way, this will never happen with the Hawks so close to the cap.

Not sure if I follow. Debrincat is currently leading OHL in points and is regarded by many as a top-50 prospect. Just because he was snubbed by US WJC doesn't mean his value tanked.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Do you know much of anything about DeBrincat? :laugh:

He was snubbed on the WJC roster, but he's still producing at a 2ppg clip in Erie. Someone else already said it, but he's regarded as a top 50 prospect in most circles.

All of DeBrincat, Schmaltz, Pokka, and Forsling are top 100 prospects, last I checked. You believe the Hawks wouldn't have anything to offer? And... if teams retain salary, it very well could happen. I love how HF posters seem to know everything about the Hawks and their cap dollars, yet every single year... the front office works out the cap dollars and ices a very competitive team on top of it.

And, honestly, I don't want them to do this anyways. Don't trade away the entire future for a chance at one more cup, maybe two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad